cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Boe -

1) Pings aren't broadcast, they are ICMP packets, a type of UDP packet.

2) This webpage is 100kkbytes

3) The second link that I posted very clearly shows the impact of latency on how long it takes a web page to load

4) The iPhone doesn't load flash. Ever.

5) Pandora pre-caches audio files and streams at 24kbit/s

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

FirstContact wrote:

yea i kinda gave the speed testers posters to much credit.. its the replies to the thread which was interesting to me, because some are double posting or replies to reples.

i did a quick peek.. if you look at the other views of the other forums. none even comes remotely close to the number of views this one gets. if i remember the 2nd runner up didnt even pass 8,000 views

INTERESTING INDEED

considering the number of subscribers sprint has..just purchasing  the iphone.. have problems with.. just the iphone and have problems  with .. customer service because of the iphone.. you would think more  people than what is already here posting would be a hellava lot higher.

WHATS  MORE INTERESTING if you just take the number of views 215,921 and JUST  FOR THE SAKE OR ARGUEMENTS. say ALL THOSE 215,921 viewers in this thread  were ACUTALLY 215,921 people with iphones4s and they all had SLOW  SPEEDS.. AND YOU divide that number by every state that has Sprint  service.. you wouldnt get less than 5000 people in all the states in the  united states combined as unhappy campers..

i would think 215,921 unhappy customers would be A BIG D@MN news  story on every major NEWS STATION across the country as for the BRAND  NEW APPLE IPHONE4S.

THE IPHONE4S BROKE ALL Sales records. is that because  the iphone4s was offered on 3 networks instead of 1 when AT&T &  VERIZON ROLLED OUT with IP4 first, now AT&T VERZION AND SPRINT  ROLLED OUT WITH IP4S.. OR course it was going to break all sales  records. . who couldnt predict that would happen..

work with some real numbers.. divide them numbers over the vast states .. and get the real picture..

heck  even if all new york didnt get 3g service on every ip4s in the NEW YORK  AREA. thats a drop in the bucket.

So, just to clarify, you are saying there are 215,921 iPhones in New York divided by 4, then multiply by S?

Then the answer should be iNY53980.25S

FirstContact, FTW!!!

Journeyman

I'm getting .12 Mbps to .33 Mbps download speeds.  Not exactly what I expected when I signed up (required) data plan.  "Unlimited" is a bit misleading.  I'm definetely "limited" by the speed (or lack of it) and my frustration when I just give up.  I've got another week before I return my iPhone 4S within the 14 day return period.  I dunno... It doesn't seem like Sprint was ready for the Bigtime.

Journeyman

I am quite upset. I had a iPhone 4, unlocked with a Gevey Sim Interposer using the US T-Mobile Network. When the iPhone 4s was offered by Sprint, I looked at the unlimited 3G data and was excited! BAM, 2 brand new iPhone 4s's preorder on lauch day!!!!

The main drawback to the T-Mobile network was EDGE speeds only, due to hardware limitations. I thought that by switching to Sprint and grabbing the unlimited 3G that all my dreams would come true and that I would be able to stream Netflix, actually use Pandora over cell data, etc. I WAS WRONG! It is truly embarrassing to Sprint that my data transfer speeds and ping were actually BETTER with T-Mobile over a 2G EDGE connection!!!! How is that even possible? The worst part is the impact on the battery life of the phone. By transferring data at slow speeds, data that should take seconds to transfer takes minutes instead, using 3G that definately impacts the battery life. Worse still is that you cannot turn off 3G and just utilize a slower but more battery efficient 2G, like EDGE, there is no option for that. You either have crappy 3G that eats your battery in a couple of hours, our you are just out of luck.

I am very dissappointed in the Sprint service. I have not had any dropped calls but just about every time I try to use Siri it fails, half my MMS messages fail, Safari is not connected to the internet, etc. I am sick of this, this is not what I was promised with the advertised data transfer speeds. I wonder what would happen if I paid 0.2% of my bill so that it would match the percentage of the promised data speeds vs what I actually receive. Wonder not, my bet is that they would not be so understanding. They would want what they were promised...

So much for Sprint having the best service...

Journeyman

I switched from AT&T and my experience with Sprint data has been unacceptably slow. I complained on the Sprint Facebook page several times, and posted my speed results, but now it appears that they have banned me from posting on the Facebook fan page. I never said anything derogatory, I just posted my speeds and asked other to do the same. I live in Austin, Texas and have a speed range of 0Mbps to .54Mbps. On average my 3G speed is .17Mbps. I can also be standing in the same spot and the phone goes from "o" and then to 3G but with speeds extremely slow. I put in a support request with sprint on October 14th about this issue, and have not heard back. Siri very rarely connects on 3G and maps almost never connect on 3G. This article talks about Sprint disputing the slow speeds with the iPhone 4S and that the speed differences are negligible between the carriers. Something that I encourage all iPhone 4S customers with Sprint that are experiencing this issue is to take a screen shot of your speed results, with location services on, and send them to Sprint. This way they can, if they are really trying to fix the issue, pinpoint their coverage problems more closely.

Wizard

Pretty good post (one page back) regarding your Sprint experiences, PalmOS. Furthermore I think this article link that you reposted describes a pretty realistic view of the Sprint network situation and explains the iPhone complaints (with a few exceptions that have been reported about 4S not working in any locations).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/30/what-i-learned-about-sprints-past-and-current-data-problems-...

And yes, for others who have noticed, FirstContact has a great ability to pull unfounded random numbers and figures out of his @ss.

Also a humorous aside, I was at Arrowhead stadium last night (working/visiting) not far from Sprints corporate headquarters. A large Sprint logo illuminates next to the scoreboard as well as other sponsorship throughout the venue. So imagine my surprise, more often than not when I looked down at my Sprint EVO I saw the roaming symbol indicated. OK, I guess there must have been an overwhelming number of Sprint users overloading their tower capacities. Seriously, Sprint...in your own "house"?

Journeyman

Hi everyone... I had been waiting for iphone 4s and like most of us I joined Sprint for the unlimited data... I am not good at tech.. But I am sure we have got problems with speed. I pre ordered the device and I am already stucked with the contract. So I just would like to ask you something. Is this a big problem the speed I mean. I live in Brooklyn. I use my device everywhere in NYC and everything works fine. The apps, maps, siri, mails, messaging, imessage , viber, tango etc, facebook etc.. So please tell me or tell us ( and please teher are many people out there just watcing and reading the forums ) What is happenig? Did we make a mistake to join Sprint since most of us have wifi at home, at office... I mean do we have consider to switch to ATT or Verizon. Yeah I will have to pay ETF but if this is a world phone so I can switch to ATT without buying a new phone so I will pay the 350 USD and have fun with my device rest of the contract with ATT... or I can sell my phone on line with around 450-500 USD... I mean spending extra some cash can be worthy if I will gonna use my device more efficiency in another network

Thank you guys for your advices advance

Journeyman

tarkan1975 wrote:

Hi everyone... I had been waiting for iphone 4s and like most of us I joined Sprint for the unlimited data... I am not good at tech.. But I am sure we have got problems with speed. I pre ordered the device and I am already stucked with the contract. So I just would like to ask you something. Is this a big problem the speed I mean. I live in Brooklyn. I use my device everywhere in NYC and everything works fine. The apps, maps, siri, mails, messaging, imessage , viber, tango etc, facebook etc.. So please tell me or tell us ( and please teher are many people out there just watcing and reading the forums ) What is happenig? Did we make a mistake to join Sprint since most of us have wifi at home, at office... I mean do we have consider to switch to ATT or Verizon. Yeah I will have to pay ETF but if this is a world phone so I can switch to ATT without buying a new phone so I will pay the 350 USD and have fun with my device rest of the contract with ATT... or I can sell my phone on line with around 450-500 USD... I mean spending extra some cash can be worthy if I will gonna use my device more efficiency in another network

Thank you guys for your advices advance

I would imagine most people would believe all carriers are about the same for speed when they switch to another carrier.   Since there is no wiki you can go to where it lists speeds for the different carriers in each city, it is a matter of fumbling til you find the right one unless you check speeds with friends where you need good data speeds.   I hear in some parts of the US Sprint speeds are good - I travel a lot and haven't been to those places yet.

Some people are glass half full and believe there is a problem with a tower in their area and Sprint is working on a massive upgrade to their network and serial killers are just misunderstood and locking them up won't solve anything.   I guess after about a decade of working with Sprint, I'm a glass half empty and feel their promises are even emptier.    So if you think Sprint is actually going to do something good, you can wait this out or you could switch to Verizon, get good speeds and coverage and switch back to Sprint in a couple of years and see if that tower has been fixed.

Journeyman

I spent over an hour on the phone with  Sprint today. I spoke with Tech Support and they said I should be  getting 1.8Mbps down in my area. They transferred me to Escalations, and  a rude rep named Tiffany told me that Sprint has internal documents  stating this is a known issue, and that the next IOS  release will correct the problem. She said it was an Apple problem not a  Sprint problem. I asked her if she could reference any online  documentation, but she said no and then without me asking transferred me  to the Retention department. Tiffany said retention would have  documentation, but I hung up after being on hold for another 20 minutes.  I can't confirm this is true, but I will be writing a certified letter  to the executive directors tomorrow to get down to the facts and to try  and get Tiffany reprimanded for her horrible customer service.

Journeyman

Thought this was pretty interesting.  CNET compares data and signal coverage for all 4 major carriers.  From the few regions I've checked so far, sprint clearly has the slowest data speeds.  Dont think it's an iPhone issue folks.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-coverage-map/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having day and night difference in speed at Houston, TX when I access the 3G from my home(suburbs) and at my office in downtown!..I am getting close to 1.5 Mbps on 3G Sprint iphone 4s when I access net from home. In downtown I am getting around 0.15-0.2 Mbps.!! Please explain!

photo1.PNG

Journeyman

Yet another story from another rep.  I do not excuse her behavior, but I am sure they are sick of all the calls so now it has gone from noting the issue to a huge annoyance to them... As the traffic indicates on this thread, most people like myself have accepted the slow speeds, be it Apple, Sprint, or a combo of the two.  Sad, but it is, what it is, and whether by dumb luck, or whatever you want to call it, some markets have gotten a little better.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat