cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Well, I have noticed that my speeds have been increasing and have been more consistent Driving around various parts of Orlando this past few days.  Much better than they were the first two weeks after the release of the iPhone 4S. Its gotten to the point where I'm leaving WiFi turned off except when I'm at home.  I have a low signal at my home due to the lakes I live between.  Even now at work, I'm getting DL of 1.09 and UL of 0.55.  Its been similar all this week.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I think I've uncovered a major problem and I need some help to validate my hypothesis.

I believe the slow speeds are related to a deliberate decision by Sprint and Apple to turn off the 3G radio when the user is in the location of a previous remembered WIFI hotspot.  The user is forced to then use the 1xrtt connection (indicated by a small circle at the top of the phone).

Here is my anectdotal evidience and I'm hoping more of you out there can help validate and submit your results.

I normally access WIFI from home and work.  From both of these locations, I have an excellent signal that switches between 4 and 5 bars.  If for some reason I need to turn off my WIFI connection while in either of these locations, the phone will temporarily display the 3G sybmol in the status bar and then immediately switch to the circle (1xrtt connection), which is extremely slow.  I decided to go outside of the office/home and try my 3G connection from a location without WIFI.  I then tried to access a website and instantly the 3G connection started working and it was a fast connection.  I have since replicated this 5 more times.

My hypothesis is that Sprint and Apple have programmed the phone to capture the user's location when accessing internet using the WIFI connection.  The phone will then "remember" the physical location where there was a successful WIFI connection.  Anytime the user is within close proximity of the "remembered" WIFI location and the user turns off WIFI, the programming in the phone will force the user to connect via the 1xrtt connection instead of 3G.

This is Sprint's attempt to force users on WIFI networks to keep the 3G networks from being overloaded.  If this holds to be true, this is a bad business decision and could lead to Sprint losing more customers and/or not getting new customers.

photo.PNG

further detail on test results above:

10/31/11 10:34 p.m. - 3G connection away from office and home (no available WIFI)

11/1/11 1:11 p.m. - 3G connection away from office and home (no available WIFI)

11/1/11 1:23 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 2:33 p.m. - 1xrrt connection from office

note:  i have performed numerous "##UPDATE#"'s on the phone and reset the network settings.  None of these solutions fix my problem.  I've also made phone calls to Sprint and Apple customer service without any resolution.

Message was edited by: JHC90001
Update 21:29 C.S.T. - I've periodically tested connection speeds at my home this evening.  The data connection was forced into 1xrtt initially and averaging around 65kbps down.  However, after 20:00 C.S.T, when I tested my speeds again, it switched to the 3G signal.  Testing on 3G was, as expected, much faster coming in at around 500kbps down.

Master

Well a way to test it would be to set the phone back to factory settings and do not restore it   then see what kind of connections you get in those areas.   That way there would be no remembered WiFi connection.   The slower connection is actually  worse for out connectivity as you  use up more time on the  tower downloading at slow speeds

Journeyman xdx
Journeyman

To Manhattan Sprint iPhone 4S owners: Are you satisified with data speeds? Thanks.

Journeyman

This isn't, and hasn't, happened with me.  If I turn off wifi at home or at work, it remains in 3G mode.  Anytime I want to check my speed, I have to turn off wifi and the speeds are not close to the speeds I have when connected to work / home wifi.

JHC90001 wrote:

I think I've uncovered a major problem and I need some help to validate my hypothesis.

I believe the slow speeds are related to a deliberate decision by Sprint and Apple to turn off the 3G radio when the user is in the location of a previous remembered WIFI hotspot.  The user is forced to then use the 1xrtt connection (indicated by a small circle at the top of the phone).

Here is my anectdotal evidience and I'm hoping more of you out there can help validate and submit your results.

I normally access WIFI from home and work.  From both of these locations, I have an excellent signal that switches between 4 and 5 bars.  If for some reason I need to turn off my WIFI connection while in either of these locations, the phone will temporarily display the 3G sybmol in the status bar and then immediately switch to the circle (1xrtt connection), which is extremely slow.  I decided to go outside of the office/home and try my 3G connection from a location without WIFI.  I then tried to access a website and instantly the 3G connection started working and it was a fast connection.  I have since replicated this 5 more times.

My hypothesis is that Sprint and Apple have programmed the phone to capture the user's location when accessing internet using the WIFI connection.  The phone will then "remember" the physical location where there was a successful WIFI connection.  Anytime the user is within close proximity of the "remembered" WIFI location and the user turns off WIFI, the programming in the phone will force the user to connect via the 1xrtt connection instead of 3G.

This is Sprint's attempt to force users on WIFI networks to keep the 3G networks from being overloaded.  If this holds to be true, this is a bad business decision and could lead to Sprint losing more customers and/or not getting new customers.

photo.PNG

further detail on test results above:

10/31/11 10:34 p.m. - 3G connection away from office and home (no available WIFI)

11/1/11 1:11 p.m. - 3G connection away from office and home (no available WIFI)

11/1/11 1:23 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 2:33 p.m. - 1xrrt connection from office

note:  i have performed numerous "##UPDATE#"'s on the phone and reset the network settings.  None of these solutions fix my problem.  I've also made phone calls to Sprint and Apple customer service without any resolution.

Journeyman

Has anyone seen an improvement today?

http://www.ozcarguide.com/news/sprint-3g-speed-improvements/1102127

and

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/01/did-sprints-october-31st-network-updates-turn-out-to-be-real...

At work where 3G is usually fast I have seen faster speeds. Previously 800k and now 1mb. At home where it has been slow always (under 100k) is now in the 400's-500's.

I'm using an EVO FWIW.

Journeyman

Same thing here in North Carolina. I don't mind that it's messing up because everything has glitches and problems. I JUST WISH APPLE AND SPRINT WOULD ACKNOLEDGE IT and release a statement (are you listening?).

Here's an old Speed Test I did with 4 bars of Sprint 3G a week ago. It hasn't changed since.

Photo Nov 02, 12 23 36 AM.png

Journeyman

These are speeds in Los Angeles at 7PM last night

SC20111029-190713[1].png

I'm on Sprint but not on an iphone -so for all you people deciding if the slow speeds were Apple's or Sprint's fault - you might be able to draw from this.    As for the apologists who would say well Los Angeles is a big city so obviously it is going to be slow - from that we can extrapolate Sprint shouldn't be used in big cities.   Perhaps instead of Sprint they could call it Abe's Bait, Tackle, Notary and Cell Carrier.    FYI -I can test at 4AM and I still only get about  200-400k down and 100k up - so unless there are millions of people up at 4AM streaming youtube, it isn't a contention thing - it must be the tower trouble Sprint informed me of 6 months ago - if only they'd hire people with opposable thumbs to work on the "tower issue" it might not take 6 months to repair.

I'm having trouble divining why I get good voice reception just about area but the "tower issue" only seems to be data.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, 14Knight, I have a better and more novel idea:

Why doesn't Sprint just tell us whether JHC90001's theory might be correct or not?  Would that be so hard?

Journeyman

I am seeing .8Mbps today, which is the best I have seen so far.  Also, sub 200ms latency.

Also, with regards to another posters speculation, this result is on 3G on a campus where I have 100Mbps Internet connectivity.   I'm not being dropped to non 3G even though I have WiFi available.

Journeyman

JHC90001's theory doesn't apply to what I've experienced from day one with the iPhone 4S.

elmo975 wrote:

Hey, 14Knight, I have a better and more novel idea:

Why doesn't Sprint just tell us whether JHC90001's theory might be correct or not?  Would that be so hard?

Master

Because the theory he puts forward is interesting.  And I can think of a situation where if a company maintained a network of hotspots this might be helpful.  Sprint does not do that so can think of no reason we would want something like that on the device.   Do not have any information one way or the other on what is programmed into the Operating system of the device in that regard.  The thought did occur to me that it could be tested.   Post above says this is not happening on his phone.  so that would speak against any programming on the device

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat