cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Read my latest post about starting a class action lawsuit. Like this Facebook page and we can show Sprint how "significant" the problem really is.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spints-iPhone-3G-is-Unusable/134007610035797?skip_nax_wizard=true

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Good luck with that class action lawsuit you can't file because you agreed to a contract with manditory individual binding arbitration. 

Journeyman

I just got off the phone with Sprint.

Sprint tech support admitted that there is a problem. I pushed a little more since they gave me the run around for two weeks. I got escalated through a few representatives until I reached someone who was helpful and fully listened. HIs comments were along these lines....

All iPhone 4s users are having problems like this. It is not only some of Sprint's customers. Sprint's network is working fine. Apple's software put limitations on the amount of data that could be transferred so that the carrier's networks did not become overloaded. He explained that when the phone is used it goes through some networks at Apple - as a Blackberry would. And Apple is slowing things down. They are working with Apple to fix the issue and to stop the slow down. He could not give me any time range for when it would be fixed.
What do you think? Experts out there? Is this representative from Sprint correct? Is it even possible that this could be the problem?

Background info-- I receive ULTRA low speeds, my last test gave me 0.18Mbps down, 0.03 up. Nothing has cracked 0.5Mbps. It is connected to 3G service and I test it all over the place. I do notice that I get the "best" speeds in the late morning hours. FYI-  I pre-ordered and live in Chicago. (city, not suburbs.) I have been going through this for over two weeks now. I am out of luck  b/c they strung me along past my 14 day mark. I am stuck unless I want  to pay big $$. So upset that I made the switch to Sprint right now.

Message was edited by: gjm1977 I also did all of the service updates, network reset, etc. Numerous times.

Journeyman

I just went through the trouble ticket prcoess with a very polite and professional Sprint rep. He documented it seemed like everything.. my issues, closest tower.. etc.. The fluctuation of speeds from one speed test to the other is just mind boggling? I guess they mentioned something about 72 hours but my ticket is made so I guess we will see what happens!

Journeyman

Winky, arbitration clauses are not a deal breaker for class action lawsuits, they are just a speed bump...chin up.

gjm1977, I received a similar response from Sprint, but based on news stories that came out recently, Sprint is not taking this seriously and they state it is a small amount of subscribers. Let me ask you a question, did they open an escalation ticket on your account? Probably not, and this shows they aren't taking the problem seriously or tallying customer problems. Evidence points to a giant failure of thier iPhone launch and they seem to be covering it up in an attempt to save their failing balance sheets.

Like this Facebook page to start a tally on how big the problem is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spints-iPhone-3G-is-Unusable/134007610035797

Wizard

Seriously? Purposefully turn off the 3G radio? You  think Sprint and Apple would conspire to make a phone that did this in  order to keep Sprint's data demands down knowing full well the backlash  they would recieve after they were "found out."

I can't see that.

Apple has nothing to  gain in this respect regarding being in cahoots on lowering Sprint's  network data strains.

However... I could possibly see it as a feature built into the phone to automatically (based on a user setting?) attempt to switch to an alternate signal source, other than a roaming, when the carrier/data connection drops to an unusable level. I don't know the iPhone well enough to suggest this with any confidence. I'm just trying to make something somewhat sensible and reasonable out of the original reaching hypothesis proposed.

JHC90001 wrote:

I think I've uncovered a major problem and I need some help to validate my hypothesis.

I believe the slow speeds are related to a deliberate decision by Sprint and Apple to turn off the 3G radio when the user is in the location of a previous remembered WIFI hotspot.  The user is forced to then use the 1xrtt connection (indicated by a small circle at the top of the phone).

Journeyman

This is a backhaul problem.  I have a house full of Android device and their data speed is terrible.  It's all depends on your area if speed is good or not.  It's not the iPhone, it's Sprint. They let their network go downhill and they're trying to catch up....  There is no fix other than time and a bunch of backhaul upgrades.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's start with the article before anyone assumes anything is fixed -

Hard to replicate
In the company's first direct acknowledgement of the problem, Adib said he wanted to tackle the issue because he didn't want to create the impression Sprint was dismissing its customers' concerns.

But Sprint is finding it difficult to replicate the circumstances causing the slow connection, complicating efforts to diagnose and fix the problem.

"We don't see anything that is easily replicable," he said.

Sprint hasn't found anything of significance, but Adib said the company would move quickly to alert its customers once a solution is found.

You have a ton of customers posting that they take their phones to a Sprint repair center and they see the slow speed on the new phone and the old phone - that sounds pretty well replicated, it is a sprint store which Sprint controls and they have sprint employees/technicians seeing the issue -  I support people all over the world and frankly this sounds like a cop out to me.    If Sprint needs there only good tech to figure this out - fly them to that Sprint store and have them look at one of the two phones with crappy speeds, test another phone - e.g. android phone and compare those speeds.

As for this being an only an iphone issue on Sprint, Puh-Lease.   The crappy Sprint speeds on Android phones have been discussed and posted on XDA and PPCGeeks for months now.   Someone always says something like it was a tower down, Sprint is working on an upgrade now or some such nonsense.     Frankly, other Sprint users are extremely grateful that the iPhone users on Sprint are making headlines as we haven't made much headway in other groups other than those who've done the smart thing and moved to Verizon (me not being smart enough yet).  Crappy speeds on Sprint isn't restricted to iphones although they may be even worse than other phones on Sprint.   Hard to imagine them being worse than this -

SC20111029-190713[1].png

Wizard

Roger Cheng from Cnet is a reporter that I emailed last week asking him to keep Sprint and Apple honest on this issuwe that they have pretty much been mum on. I'm glad someone is keeping up on reporting it. A few quips taken from the article:

"Adib said the complaints represent a single-digit percentage of the base of iPhone 4S users on Sprint."

Hmm... that could be 1%... or up to 9%... a big difference.

"Sprint iPhone users who were used to the carrier's previous flagship phones were always going to see a drop-off in performance. The iPhone 4S, despite tweaks to its antennas and a faster processor, can only ride on Sprint's slower 3G CDMA network. Customers used to the 4G WiMax speeds found on the Evo or other higher end phones would get a markedly different experience.

That consumers would give up the higher speed for the iPhone underscores its lasting appeal in the face of growing number of viable alternative smartphones."

I don't think anybody is comparing the 3G 4S to 4G data experiences. As an EVO user I can attest that people just aren't running around all day in 4G mode due to serious battery life limitations. (and assuming you are even in a good 4G area). It's completely impractical. I've stayed on 4G for any length of time only when my phone is plugged in w/ the a/c adapter. It's pretty much on a "special usage" basis. I think people are smart enough to compare 3G to previous 3G experiences. Then again... some of the posts you read here from people on these forums...  Roger might be on to something...

3020fjr2 wrote:

Sprint finally spoke about the iphone issue directly yet it not what everyone wants to hear. Like I have said multiple time since this thread started and it is that it only affects a small percent of costumers. You can read all about it in this cnet.com article

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20129291-94/sprint-were-taking-the-iphone-4s-speed-issue-seriously/...

Journeyman

I just want to add to the numbers. the speed on my iPhone 4s is none existant. theres no point in having it/paying for it/using it. tisk tisk sprint. how much does it cost to cancell the contract? i no verizons network is a hell of a lot faster.

Journeyman

brianfits wrote:

I just want to add to the numbers. the speed on my iPhone 4s is none existant. theres no point in having it/paying for it/using it. tisk tisk sprint. how much does it cost to cancell the contract? i no verizons network is a **** of a lot faster.

You shouldn't have to pay to get out of your deal with Sprint as they are not meeting their posted speeds.   I plan on getting out of my contract as soon as the Galaxy Nexus comes to Verizon.   I love my phone but hate the data on Sprint (voice is fine though).   Just ask to go straight to retentions as customer service reps only have 3 lines for customers "there is a tower issue in your area" "can I interest you in a second line" "have I answered all of your questions today (even though you just asked them a question they couldn't answer).

Wizard

I just saw Roger replied to my email (on an account I reserve only for various forums and don't always check) and he asked for specifics on what problems I was having with the 4S and what Sprint and Apple have done to help. Since I don't personaly own the 4S yet (glad I waited), I replied to him I could maybe get some folks to relay their experiences. It is too late for the article Roger just wrote but if he does another follow-up I can forward his email address/phone in a PM to anyone interested, or you can just go to CNET (from the link below) and register and you will be able to contact him directly. If you want his info. and you can approach this as a rationally sane person    , send me a PM.

MGman61 wrote:

Roger Cheng from Cnet is a reporter that I emailed last week asking him to keep Sprint and Apple honest on this issue that they have pretty much been mum on. I'm glad someone is keeping up on reporting it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20129291-94/sprint-were-taking-the-iphone-4s-speed-issue-seriously/...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat