Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I bought the iPhone 4S for my wife to replace the one she had to give up when we switched to Sprint two years ago.  Around town, it's much slower on Sprint's network than my original Palm Pre is.  That's pretty sad, and frustrating for her.

I'm glad Apple is coming out with a fix for the battery drain issue (that was another bummer), but I wish Sprint would let me know why I have to pay $10 extra per month for her "Premium Data" when my Palm Pre's "Premium Data" is free and much faster.

-Tony

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've argued the same exact concern to a customer rep supervisor. His reply was, "Sprint is actually delivering the data to the phone, as the contract specifies; however, it's the iphone that's not 'decoding' the data correctly, therefore, sprint is not in violation or breech of the contract".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Heres why, your palm pre is consider a stupid phone not smartphone

the iphone is considered a smartphone, like my 4g phone

if you don't want to pay Premium data, get a basic plan...

why are you paying for MINUTES that you dont even use? since you have free mobile to mobile..AND RARELY call a landline.

IT JUST AMAZES ME HOW PEOPLE SINGLE OUT UNLIMITED DATA PRICES THEY PAY FOR, BUT THEY DON'T WANT TIER PRICING

BUT wont complain about they don't use half of their minutes so why should i pay for it.

or it says FREE MOBILE TO MOBILE but on other networks FREE mobile to mobile means only in that network

how can people think they have a Flintstone cellphone and not pay for Star Trek like communications.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This should really be a general discussion about how bad the Data service has been in the past 6-8 months. 

I got this response from CEO office:

"Thank you for contacting us through Dan@Sprint.com.

I appreciate you speaking with today.  I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced regarding your data speeds.

We are currently upgrading the network and are aware that service may be impacted. Providing reliable service to our customers is a top priority and we appreciate your patience as we work to complete maintenance. Our network engineers have been working aggressively to complete the required maintenance on our networks and restore data and voice coverage to optimal service levels for our customers. Customers may experience intermittent degradation of service levels until this work has been completed.

Mr. xxxx, thank you for allowing me to address your issue.  You stated you had no other issues or concerns at this time.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or contact me at 757-223-xxxx.  My office hours are Monday – Friday from 11:00 am – 8:00 pm EST.

Thank you for contacting Sprint."

She couldn't tell me how long this will take...

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

My speeds are so bad that Facebook wont even work.

I am getting .02 Mbps- .2Mbps, but mostly in the .04 Mbps range.  It is so bad that it takes forever to load anything.

I went to the sprint store and they told me to go to Apple (typical)....this was last week.  I went to the Apple store and they said all they could do is give me a new 4s to see if it is the phone hardware or not.  Got the new phone and it is still the same very very slow 3G.  So I dont think this is a  1% hardware issue, but more like a software issue between Sprint and Apple.  BTW I am 300 yards from a cell tower as I tried again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MJBAUMGARDNER. this is not directed at you. ur just at the bottom of the list

other point.. IF SUN SPOTS affect communications during solar flares.. how is that a breach of sprints contract to providing you with uninterrupted service that is not in their control.

Having a billion cellphones on a network that can only handle a half a billion, if anyone to blame its the customers jamming the system.

oh sure.. they should of known.. yea right.. now you expect them to be future tellers to know how many ppl would join the network..

remember people.. u can not put 20 million cellphones in a 10 million bag... 

Highlighted
Journeyman

How is this at all a customers fault? It's simple business. I pay sprint for a service. Sprint doesn't deliver said service as agreed upon in the contract. Contract is void.

And, I can agree with your theory...on one point... sprints network is too old and out-dated for all of this tech... so, let us out of our contract and we'll gladly go to another provider and free up the space on sprint.

Journeyman

Ok I finally got my Sprint iphone today. I didnt download any speed test app yet but comparing web browsing side by side with my AT&T iphone Sprint is much faster. Matter fact on many sites the session just times out on AT&T because it takes so long while the Sprint iphone had no issues connecting. SIRI works fine as well. Dont get me wrong its not blazing speed but definitely useable. I have to put my AT&T iphone on EGDE to get anything to load. This is in NYC at peak hours so im pleased as long as this stays consistant. I havent done any update or reset network settings. This is fresh out the box. When I get home im going to download the speedtest app to get some numbers but im not really concerned about that. Im concnered more with real world experience and even tho its only been a few hours so far im pleased.

Edit: after downloading the speedtest app im happy to report im getting 1.28 down and .82 up in one of the most heavily congested cities during peak hours. im more than satisfied with that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you re-state what you said, only in English this time?  I think you might have been a little too excited when you made this reply and failed to re-read what you actually said.  I'm interested in what you're trying to say, but need you to calm down, re-read it and type it again so it makes a little more sense.  I'm one of those Unlimited Data guys (1500 minutes for the 2-phone Family plan) on which I get the any mobile-to-mobile for free, anytime.  At the end of the month I would have spent about 10 of those 1500 anytimes minutes.  This being the lowest plan option, I have no choice but to pay for it.  Are you saying I could opt into a lesser plan that would still give me any mobile-to-mobile for free and still have some type of tiered data plan?

FirstContact wrote:

why are you paying for MINUTES that you dont even use? since you have free mobile to mobile..AND RARELY call a landline.

IT JUST AMAZES ME HOW PEOPLE SINGLE OUT UNLIMITED DATA PRICES THEY PAY FOR, BUT THEY DON'T WANT TIER PRICING

BUT wont complain about they don't use half of their minutes so why should i pay for it.

or it says FREE MOBILE TO MOBILE but on other networks FREE mobile to mobile means only in that network

how can people think they have a Flintstone cellphone and not pay for Star Trek like communications.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any one else out there having issues with Pandora app on iphone 4s today, my speeds are decent here at work on the speed test and I was listening to it just fine all morning but now i get nothing but the loading screen when i choose a station. 2 guys in my work one with an evo and one with a 4s can pull it up just fine?

Also according to gizmodo there is a SIRI outage at apple right now so if anyone is having trouble using her that would be why.

Highlighted
Wizard

First of all the Palm Pre IS a smartphone. Premium data, No. Here's the important thing you missed in his post:

"I bought the iPhone 4S for my wife to replace the one she had to give up  when we switched to Sprint two years ago.  Around town, it's much  slower on Sprint's network than my original Palm Pre is.  That's pretty  sad, and frustrating for her."

Another case where another device works doing basic voice and data operations where the new iPhone does not. Would have been better had he compared the same function (like loading the same website, using Pandora,etc.) but the point was made.

FirstContact wrote:

Highlighted
Wizard

These are exactly the types of reports Roger Cheng at CNET would like to hear. Go to CNET and read his article. Comment on it in the comments section or better yet, contact him directly.  If you need the contact info. I can get it to you. Posting here on this annonymous forum will only get you so far. He is a writer ... and writers are people that you can talk to. And in this case he looking for Sprint customer input.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20129291-94/sprint-were-taking-the-iphone-4s-speed-issue-seriously/...

MJBAUMGARDNER wrote:

I've argued the same exact concern to a customer rep supervisor. His reply was, "Sprint is actually delivering the data to the phone, as the contract specifies; however, it's the iphone that's not 'decoding' the data correctly, therefore, sprint is not in violation or breech of the contract".

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat