Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Journeyman

Hey Coney718 (is that for David Cone.....or maybe Coney Island?),

Anyway, I was in Manhattan all day and into the evening yesterday, from the Lower East Side to Little Italy (Chinatown), to Tribeca, to Midtown, to the Upper West Side (Columbus Ave), Central Park and finally the Upper East Side and onto the Triboro - part business, part pleasure and an early dinner with friends.

I checked the speeds throughout and it went from a low of .10 mbps to a high of around .65 mbps, with the average somewhere in the .30-.40 range.  That you were able to get 1.28 mbps the next day is remarkable, for I never got close to breaking 1 meg.  Either it was a tremendously clear signal day for you (more than likely) or Sprint found some kind of solution and fixed something in half a day (less likely).  Can you tell me us you achieved those speeds?  Thanks. 

Journeyman

again... what services is sprint not delievering? because if its slow 3g speeds,

you re going to have to show me in the contract a PROMISE, COMMITMENT, OR GURANTEE that the speeds as advertise and i might add that the ads say UP TO 3g speed where UP TO MEANS anywhere from .0000000000001 ( oversimpled that number) up to 3g speed is within the contract.

if there is intermitted problems where it works at 4am and not at 4pm, the contract is still valid....

if it did not WORK, then only part of the contract is unfilled, but thats not the complaints, the complaints are slow speeds, NOT NO SPEEDS AT ALL.

show me the part in the contract that specificlly says 3g speeds are guaranteed at 3mbps.

without a specific number, anyone can have there own idea what speeds are ok, and what speeds are not.

keep in mind, the issue is not that it doesn't work at all. even on that other network, drop calls .. does that mean you can get out your contract?

Journeyman

I think when I get a message like this half the time that is what we are talking about

phonecantconnect.png

Journeyman

which half of the time are we talking about..

between 12pm an 6pm

or

between 12am an 6pm

and how many half time tries are we trying1 out of 2

50 out of a 100

500,000 out of a million...

i would say in your pic, and statement.. it works half the time. and the other half it doesn't...

baseball team wins half.. loses half .

kinda balances out to 0.

Journeyman

yep out of every million times I try exactly 500,000 It does not work. I counted them and have all the data in a notebook!

I am curious what your point is ? do you work for sprint or do you just like to stir the pot with people who are upset about the lack of data service?

Journeyman

This may garner some laughs but it is the absolute truth! I was using a Palm Treo 720w running Windows Mobile 5.0 00 Verizon-- (yes!) that i purchased in 2005.  I LITERALLY could get to a web page fasdter on that phone that I can on my Apple 4S on the Sprint network (however, friends standing next to me also on the Sprint network w/ 4G turned off had no problem at all-- so it is hard for me to blame the Sprint network).

I have an iPhone 4 that is a work phone-- it runs on Verizon-- I do not seem to have the excrutiating download / internet connections issues with it-- my new Sprint 4S literally just spins for 25 minutes or more when I try to go to a specific URL-- battery life on the phone also stinks depite contstant monitoring and using every tip / tick Apple has provided. I am so disappointed-- I waited all this time not to make the 2-year commitment and it is like a bad dream...

Journeyman

6 out of 10 people prefer Diet Coke to Diet Mountain Dew.  That's 60%

Of those 60%, 15% have thinning hair and of those remaining, 7% are completely bald.

If you multiply this number by the population of Des Moines, Iowa  (569,633) and divide it by the Gross National Product less the average  property tax rate of Rancho Palos Verdes, California and then mulitply that number by the square root of Tony La Russa's current weight, you get 41,236,845 - or 77% of what Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts earned in its first  six weeks.

So, I agree, how in the heck is that Sprint's fault?  I blame the policemen in Brooklyn, NY.

Journeyman

I searched for an Apple forum on this. Did not see anything. Has anyone seen anything out there on Apple's boards? Has anyone contacted Apple? Sprint is pointing fingers at Apple, maybe we all need to start pointing figures at Apple as well. I plan to give Apple and Sprint a call every day until this is fixed or until I jump from the slow moving Sprint ship.

Journeyman

Lucky you, I am in Riverside just SouthEast of LA, and I got 0.00 down and 0.03 up.  What does that say when your ping is 1800ms and you get 0.00mbps download speeds???  Ouchies.

Journeyman

firstcontact - this is in response to ur "palm per is a dumb phone comment"

Can you re-state what you said, only in English this time?  I think you might have been a little too excited when you made this reply and failed to re-read what you actually said.  I'm interested in what you're trying to say, but need you to calm down, re-read it and type it again so it makes a little more sense.  I'm one of those Unlimited Data guys (1500 minutes for the 2-phone Family plan) on which I get the any mobile-to-mobile for free, anytime.  At the end of the month I would have spent about 10 of those 1500 anytimes minutes.  This being the lowest plan option, I have no choice but to pay for it.  Are you saying I could opt into a lesser plan that would still give me any mobile-to-mobile for free and still have some type of tiered data plan?

Journeyman

YOU PICKED the wrong occupation to compare, Brooklyn NY, Police .... everyone knows they ll be aquitted even with speedtest images. LOL

Journeyman

FirstContact -

Honestly, you are the most entertaining poster I have ever encountered, on any forum.

If you have a twitter feed, I'd get a twitter account just to follow it. Have you ever thought 
about doing radio? Any "Moring Zoo" type show would take you on in a second.

FirstContact wrote:

which half of the time are we talking about..

between 12pm an 6pm

or

between 12am an 6pm

and how many half time tries are we trying1 out of 2

50 out of a 100

500,000 out of a million...

i would say in your pic, and statement.. it works half the time. and the other half it doesn't...

baseball team wins half.. loses half .

kinda balances out to 0.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat