cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

did the speed advertise say UP TO 3G.

or 3g continually with no lost in speed..

I kinda think UP TO means it can go up to 3g or less.

does that make any difference.. the word.. UP TO

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you are a little excited. 

Anyone who is not getting advertised data speeds, should not be paying for data at all.  We know that's never going to happen.

SO.....

We should at least have the premium data fee suspended until they fix THEIR problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

YOUR REPLY brings me to my next point...

i have the 3g/4g phone, but use 4g only or wifi when i can.. so i never any bothered with 3g until this iphone situation...

so the question is.. should the people with 3g/4g phones that use 4g/wifi only on their phones be included? even though we can't use 4g.

since they are still providing us with service, and nothing is specific about 3g/4g ?

then on top of that. 4g has been SLOW but still no problems getting online, downloading  and it works.. so again even though they re not providing speeds as 'ADVERTISED" as shown by the speedtest, should we be included?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Certainly they should.  What if you aren't in 4g service?  What if you need a map and are in the middle of traffic, while pulling .01mbits.

The point is that all of the services should work as advertised.  If there is a glitch and a temporary problem, I can ride it out.  If the company denies there is a problem, while mailing you bills, then that's not cool.

Highlighted
Journeyman

right.. your point is on point.. i surrender.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I switched from AT&T to Sprint and I can honestly say that it feels like I'm constantly on Edge speeds even when the phone says 3G.  This is pathetic... Fix the problem quickly! Nothing makes me happier than to be in an area where I start roaming... That's the only way to get decent data speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One thing I have noticed is that when the download speeds are horrible (most of the time) the UPLOAD speed is 3 times faster than the download (both being pathetic).....whats up with that?  It should be the opposite.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The service is super slow. I have a friend that the Samsung Galaxy 2 with Sprint and we tried to do the same task online the iPhone takes way longer than the Galaxy. I don't know what's wrong but it is something Sprint needs to look into this is not a rumor, it is true and it is very uncomfortable trying to do simple tasks and that it takes forever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I switched from my Palm Pre to the iPhone 4S, my 3G speed actually improved, as did my signal strenght. However, within the past week, my signal bounces around like a bee-bee in a boxcar. One moment I have 5 bars of 3G (that is so slow that it is unuseable) to 1 bar of 2G, or whatever that "o" means.

My question is how is it that I got 2MB per second download speed at DFW airport two weeks again, yet I get .25 on a good day at my office? My piece of crap Palm Pre got better speeds than this and that's not much of a compliment.

Come on Sprint. I'm paying $10 a line for this "premium" data. Is it so premium that I need to sip it slowly like a fine port in order to enjoy its refined nature?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint dropped the ball on this one. First off I think the Iphone is greedy push wise. Even when my EVO is on 3G it seems to be less bandwidth intense. Sprint should have demanded WIMAX. Secondly Sprint Promised I could switch back to my original plan if I did not like the Iphone then screwed me by retiring my SERO Plan so I am now with ATT and get an average of 1 MBS down. So basically the customer retention line told me to piss off. POOR BUISNESS practices Sprint. You lost a loyal customer and 40 billion in subsidy for getting the POS Iphone on 3G with sub-par speeds. Less than the advertised 300 to 700 kbs. I am now enjoying bursts up to 4mbps on a good day. I never thought I would switch back to ATT but you screwed my pocket book so badly that I actually only had to pay $5 more a month. This is my breakup letter. let's just hope you don't fail me as a stock holder. FIX the speed issues!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's take this to Apple as well. There is a message board on Apple:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16623754#16623754

Make your voice heard. Don't just read these boards. Make some noise! It's the only way "they" will listen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the IPhone works fine on Verizon and ATT so I suspect Apple will tell you to switch carriers and still make some fat cash. Just my opinion. You don’t like sprints speeds we sell the phone on two other capable carriers.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat