Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Wizard

Bj,

I lived in KC for 13 years.  You may consider driving to the corporate campus and walking into the store there.  The phone is a hot topic right now and I imagine they would welcome seeing you, fellow 15 yearer.  They need to get techs to the exact area the phones are having trouble.  You may help them get to that step.

***Due to FTC guidelines, I am forced to create this disclaimer and advise readers of certain credentials. I am a Sprint Advocate and a customer of Sprint via cellular service. I am not an employee of Sprint and was in attendance of the 2011 SAGE Event at the corporate office in Kansas City, KS. While the trip was paid for by Sprint/HTC, the event will in no way interfere with my obligation to provide truthful and accurate information either through positive or negative comments with regard to Sprint or its policies. I am not obligated to continue posting in the forums and do so of my own free will. The 2011 SAGE event was without question used to pick our brains from start to finish and did not include any vacation activities. At no time was there any effort made to buy our loyalty. In our collaborative view, Sprint appropriately said thank you for our valuable time. I further advise that I have been a Sprint customer for 15 years and the 2011 SAGE event was my first experience with any illusioned Sprint reward. My choice to be a Sprint Advocate was initiated by myself long before the Sprint Advocate group was formed and the 2011 SAGE event was created. I reserve the right to remain a Sprint customer or leave for a competing carrier, depending on my own evaluations regarding Sprint policy or its treatment of customers. Sprint has an obligation to provide every customer, which I am one, acceptable service both in network and through support***

Wizard

Hmmm.  Noone is pointing at Apple to be the fall guy.  It is a fact.  A bad batch of phones got out and Apple has been replacing them.  Whether that is what is happening here......I do not know.  If you want to try and solve the problem, I am giving you some suggeestions.  I have an EVO 3d.  I have no network issues, but you do.  It tells me that it is the phone.  If we want to fix the problem, we have to fix the phone.  CNet did a bunch of testing and in a number of areas Sprint was as good if not better than Verizon, so it is not that the phone hardware cannot do it with Sprint equipment.  What if somehow your iPhones have the wrong radio in them?

***Due to FTC guidelines, I am forced to create this disclaimer and advise readers of certain credentials. I am a Sprint Advocate and a customer of Sprint via cellular service. I am not an employee of Sprint and was in attendance of the 2011 SAGE Event at the corporate office in Kansas City, KS. While the trip was paid for by Sprint/HTC, the event will in no way interfere with my obligation to provide truthful and accurate information either through positive or negative comments with regard to Sprint or its policies. I am not obligated to continue posting in the forums and do so of my own free will. The 2011 SAGE event was without question used to pick our brains from start to finish and did not include any vacation activities. At no time was there any effort made to buy our loyalty. In our collaborative view, Sprint appropriately said thank you for our valuable time. I further advise that I have been a Sprint customer for 15 years and the 2011 SAGE event was my first experience with any illusioned Sprint reward. My choice to be a Sprint Advocate was initiated by myself long before the Sprint Advocate group was formed and the 2011 SAGE event was created. I reserve the right to remain a Sprint customer or leave for a competing carrier, depending on my own evaluations regarding Sprint policy or its treatment of customers. Sprint has an obligation to provide every customer, which I am one, acceptable service both in network and through support***

Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestions, I might give that a try.  I typically go to the WP Corporate Store and they are always extremely helpful.  I'm rooting for Sprint, but also not spending all of this $ to have it not work and the response I got from "Sales Support" today was unbelievable after being told by the Corporate Store that if they would have sold it to me they would take it back and let me go back to my old hunk of junk phone, which I did reactivate, BTW in anticipation of what to do next.  

Wizard

There are a bunch of things I cannot talk about that was discussed at SAGE.....but believe me that CS was a hot topic.  You especially have experienced Sprint during its CS days of OMG did they really just say that.  Admit they are a ton better, but still not good enough.  On the Advocate side we are all putting a tremendous amount of pressure ..... well as much as a customer can ..... to have them repair and improve customer relations.  I believe they are committed to improving the deficiency.  I wish I had more that I could do for those of you in limbo.  The situation sucks to be sure.  If the store phones have problems then I cannot believe that Sprint would not rectify the financial outlay of all of your parts, they always have for me.  Though I am a forceful son of a gun .

Journeyman

I just picked up an iphone on a second line, with an EVO as the primary line. I was trying to download some apps from Apple's app store and noticed the speeds were low; not just downloading apps but displaying the content in the app store was taking a long time. Browsing the web on the iPhone seemed to be just as fast as on the EVO, so I ran a speed test on both devices in the same location. The speeds are almost identical, with the iPhone being slightly faster. It appears that for some reason the App Store is choking.

Journeyman

Hello everyone

I am new to this thread and to Sprint as well. I live in NY (10466) and just recieved my ipnone last night. SInce then, I have called customer service more than 3 times about my phone not being able to connect to 3G. Instead of viewing the 3G symbol next to Sprint on the phone, I see a small circle that looks like this "o". My internet is completely unusable. Siri as well. I love the phone as I have been playing with it and the huge selction of free apps avalable for hours. I basically went to bed, woke up and was playing with the phone first thing.

I recieved the phone earlier than expected (4 days instead of 2 weeks) and was pleased with that but the data has to be fixed. The first rep I spoke to said the 3G network will be up in 2 hours or so. That time came and went and nothing. Called again and was told by 11pm. waitied till midnight, still the same issue. Called at 1AM and was told by noon today. Noon came and nothing. Finally called again and was told that this is not just me, its all iphone users experiencing this issue.

I just wish they would come clean and state that there is a problem and that they are working on it. I have 13 days left to return the phone and will do so if I do not at least get a reassurance that the issue will be fixed.

Patiently awaiting...........

Journeyman

@ SA_Doc

It is a fact that a bad batch of iPhone 4s's were shipped?  Oh really???!!!  I say that's bull.  If it's a fact, as you say, please provide a link indicating this.

Otherwise, you're doing nothing but spreading irresponsible lies, and if that's the case, you should be permanently banned from spreading those lies in this forum.  Of course the onus is upon you to provide a link to your claim that there was a bad batch of iPhone 4's that Apple shipped and prove me wrong. Otherwise what you say is meaningless. And also please provide proof that this supposed "bad batch" of iPhones is the reason that people are experiencing painfully slow speeds on the Sprint network. 

We'll wait for those links and proof.

Wizard

Rob,

A little effort on your part would find this very fast.  You wasted my time.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=apple+bad+batch+4s&qs=n&sk=&form=QBRE

notice I searched apple bad batch 4s.

Journeyman

That link addresses a battery issue. I have seen nothing by Apple, that speaks to the connnectivity and speed data issues being discussed in this thread.

Wizard

MS80,

It is a fact that the SA group has been talking about the data pull the iPhone would bring to the Sprint network.  This information was passed on the the powers that be.  You would hope that they prepared for the data hogging the iPhone is known for.  In San Diego, I have noticed no performance drop so hopeful it is something simple in the area you are in.  We are disappointed in the execution to date.  No, I have no idea who's fault it is, but surely the fault lies somewhere.  Via conversation Sprint is trying to get to the bottom of it.  I do not know to what extent, but I will choose to believe that it is extensive.  Sprint has $20 Billion on the line here.

Wizard

Sorry Basic, you will have to talk to Rob about that.  He is the one that shoved those words into my mouth.  I never said that the bad batch attributed to the connection issues.  It would stand to reason that if an error can happen in one place, it could happen in another.  I believe this is the first CDMA phone for Apple and I am wrong thank to TrueBalance.  It is not going so well for Sprint so far.

I find this interesting.

http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980712190

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/115178.html

I wonder if certain software is causing the limitations with the iPhone on the Sprint network.....in certain situations.  Supposedly, the complaints are a single digit percentage.

Maybe, reset each of your phones and test the speed.  Install one app at a time and see if there is a culprit?  (I know PITA)

Journeyman

SA_Doc,

A little effort on your part would find this very fast.  You wasted my time.

http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+1st+cdma+phone&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

If your gonna be smug do research yourself.

TL:DR Verizon iPhone 4 came out in Feburary.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat