Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Sprint is sending me a airave TO KEEP AND USE FREE

Thank you Sprint

http://www.sprintenterprise.com/airave/tellMeMore.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does it do any good when you're mobile. I had my texti messaging fail on me three times now... Twice when I was out. 3G data speeds are slower than dial up during the day here, and not much better at night!

From the 89121's.

Patron

IMG_0005.PNGThese are the speeds i got here in new york.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I live in Johnson County (county in Kansas in Kansa City metro area) and my ability to search the web and connect has been horrible the last 3 days or so.

I now have traveled to Orlando, FL today (11/8/11) and it's even worse (slowe or can't connect at all - International Drive area of Orlando, FL).

Downloaded the 'Speedtest.net" app and here is what it states I am getting here in the Orlando, FL on 11/8/11. 

Dowload = .69Mbps

Upload = .74Mbps

I search the web and I read that Sprint is looking into it, but can't replicate the problem... what a joke!!!

1) Siri on the IPhone states it "can't connect to network".

2) Trying to start Safari web brower (Yahoo or Google) will not load or will be so slow that it's not even worth using.

Come on Sprint... how hard can it be... or are you just so embarressed that you just won't admit there is a problem and then offer to make it up to us IPhone 4s users (makes for good PR and customer-service)... remember, I am paying an extra $10.00/month over my basic plan just to have and use a data enabled smartphone!!! 

I guess the issue is... I AM NOT GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH AND/OR YOUR TAKING MY MONEY WITHOUT GIVING ME THE SERVICES YOU SAID I WOULD BE GETTING... THAT'S FRAUD OR AT THE LEAST, "BAIT AND SWITCH"!!!

Hey Sprint... please stop everything else your doing and get this problem fixed!!!

Journeyman

I am also in KC metro and have been complaining about this since day 2.

I spent a few hours working with customer care on the 21st and then spoke with an engineer about the problem. 

At that point they wouldn't confirm that they had a problem until the engineer told me it was iPhone specific.

On the 28th I tried to return both phones and was told that we were on he 15th day.

I still disagree with the way they count... But that is for another discussion.

I've seen a few intermittent improvements but then it goes to crap again.

Siri sometimes works...

Facebook won't load, Twitter doesn't refresh, email/iMessage is dreadful.

Last night I spent 3 hours on the phone before I was marched up to the leadership team manager.

I either want 1.5-2.5 consistent or I want out of my contract to go back to my Evo or switch to AT&T.

To top it off, today I had 4 bars of 3G and Maps couldn't connect to the Internet as I was trying to find a client's house.

Perfect.

I've been flooding @sprintcare and @technobuffalo with screenshots on Twitter without a response.

The way I see it, Sprint has violated our contract by not providing the services that we are paying for.

On a positive note, I did get them to credit back the $10 joke fee on both lines for 2 months since they can't give me a date that this will be resolved.

My speeds are averaging .4 D and .3 U

Some times as low as .01 and as high as 1.3 on the download.

Journeyman

Good luck getting out of contract because you wont be gettign those consistent speeds. This is EVDO 3G Verizon doesn't get that speed consistently during peak hours either. As a matter of fact the average advertised speeds for both Sprint and Verizon is much lower than 1.5 to 2.5 Mb/s. You should have went with a GSM carrier and HSPA+ if you wanted much faster 3G.

Journeyman

Can't beleive Sprint's network is so slow. I am getting < .09 kbps up/down according to speedtest.com. No internet makes the iphone very useless. Also connection is very bad. Can't send text or receive texts half the time. Wish I can go back to AT&T instead of switching over. I got 2 iphone 32gb too. Both with the same issue. Feels like we DOWNGRADED instead of getting better service. Spoke with IT Rep and all she said was they were gathering data. So now they just collecting money without delivering.

Journeyman

Can't talk.

Can't text.

Can't go online.

I CAN play Angry Birds though, as long as I don't have to buy an Eagle.

Yippee.

Journeyman

Well looks like I wont be switching to sprint, and my girlfriend just switched today with two other family members and they all got the iphone 4S, I am getting faster speeds on my T-Mobile factory Unlocked iPhone 4 on edge speeds... For those of you not familiar with GSM carriers, EDGE is a old technology used before 3G was around.  I cannot use 3G on tmobile because they chose to use not very popular bands unlike ATT/other worldwide GSM carriers... I was thinking about switching to sprint, because I am sick of getting Edge speeds and wanted 3G and unlimited, guess that won't be happening, and might have my girlfriends family take back all 3 of their phones before their 14 days is up.

Heres my girlfriend and I's speed tests from tonight

image.png

photo.PNG

Journeyman

Well, I returned my iphone 4s today to the Apple Store in Tacoma, WA.  What a JOKE!  They took the phone and said they could give me store credit.  HA! They said without the receipt, I couldn't receive a refund.  I said that they told me they would email the receipt to me.  I told them I never received it.  They did some looking and eventually gave me a receipt showing a $326 credit to my credit card.  They told me that I would have to go to the Sprint store to cancel my service (even though the apple store set up the service.)

I went down the hall to the sprint store only to be told that they could not cancel the service since the apple store set it up. They even said that I couldn't cancel the service, but that the Apple store would have to do it... Back to the Apple Store.  After being told again that sprint would have to do it, I told the apple rep to walk down to the sprint store with me and hear their side of the story.  I watched them blame eachother for several minutes.  Finally the Apple store rep agreed that Apple would have to cancel the service.... Back to the Apple Store.  Apparently Apple cancelled the service but while I was waiting I checked my account with Sprint online... Sprint billed be $150 for the 10 day period that I had the phone!

Apple told me they had done their part and any billing issues would have to be resolved with Sprint.  I called Sprint customer service.  I told them I didn't believe that I should be paying for a service that didn't work (of course that's why I returned the phone - it was the service that was horrible.)  They said it would take a few billing periods for things to be resolved and they could not tell me how much I would actually have to pay.  At this point, my bill still says $150.

I also pointed out that the Apple store representative said that I could return the phone up to 30 days of purchase and that the Sprint 14 day return and service policy had been extended to 30 days for sales through Apple stores.  I found out today, that it was a lie.  You may be able to return your hardware (phone) to an apple store up to 30 days after purchase, but after 14 days... you're on the hook for 2 years of sprint service or you have to pay an early termination fee (as well as return the phone.)

Whatever sprint "tells" you or Apple "tells" you is most likely not the truth.  When it comes to returning hardware and cancelling service... it all changes - and you the customer are there to be screwed... and you'll also be required to pay.

Journeyman

For those of you that live in an area where sprint has 4g service, the following might work for you if you are locked into using an iPhone.  If possible, buy an unlocked iPhone and get T-mobile service.  Buy a sprint hotspot (if you have comcast/xfinity internet service get it through them- it's cheaper than sprint and uses the exact same network, the hardware is exactly the same and is much cheaper up front than sprint.)  The hotspot gives you 5gigs of data on the Sprint 3g network and unlimited data on the 4g network.  Hook up your iPhone to the hotspot on the 4g network... now you working at 4g speeds (well sprint's 4g speeds... but still signigicantly faster than the 3g speeds that have been posted on this forum) with unlimited data.  You have you're T-mobile data plan as a back up, as well as slow sprint 3g as a back up.

I don't have the iPhone anymore (returned it... a whole different hassle) but I do have an Ipod touch with Skype, google voice, and an app called "talk-a-tone" that allows me to call out as well as receive calls while I'm hooked up to wifi (the hotspot.)  I strictly use the ipod touch.  I don't even have the t-mobile account.  I pay $3 per month for unlimited skype.  Talk-a-tone is free.  My hotspot through xfinity is net $27 since I have internet service at home through xfinity.  So, for $30, I basically have an iPhone with unlimited data on a 4g network, and 5gigs of 3g data.  Yes, it's not exactly the iPhone (it doesn't have an 8 megapixel camera; and no Siri - it never worked anyway) but it doesn't cost me $100 per month (that $79.99 unlimited is really $100 after taxes and fees) and I didn't pay another $300 for a phone or even more for an unlocked one.

This is the poor man's iPhone.  Oh... and since I'm on wifi all the time - facetime works all the time!

Journeyman

I did some thing similar; I had an iPod Touch 4 with Line2- $10 per month for unlimited calling and text using a Virgin Mobile MiFi(formerly unlimited data for $40 per, now throttled at 5GB). I added TextFree Voice for a second phone line with picture mail. That one only costs for voice minutes. But. My Nokia was broken anyway, and the MiFi's battery runs down in four hours, so... iPhone 4S.

What is it, a hundred pages of complaints now on just this one thread alone, and Sprint has yet to respond in any kind of satisfactory way? I've been on the phone with them practically every day since I got the phone. Always they make it sound like I'm the only one having problems, and what's wrong with me? They even tried that old, "We'll be installing new towers in your area in the next six months to a year" story. They've been saying THAT for four years. Promised premium benefits are never honored, and they act insulted if you request them.

The really hilarious thing:

For a least the last ten years, the places your were most likely to be on roaming in Las Vegas were just outside of major Sprint offices/retail centers! Now it's inside of some of our local Apple Stores!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat