cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Hate to tell you this Liquid-X, but you're one of the lucky ones. I've had my 3G fail to the point where I couldn't text. When it was actually important, regarding a child's safety.3G constantly fails in my house. I had better speeds with a Nokia 6225. Really.

Journeyman

speeds have been 80kbps to 400kbps yesterday and today around 440kbps to a spike of 1400kbps. not as consistent as i would like but i guess not horribly bad either

Journeyman

By the way, the Apple update was primarily TO FIX THE BATTERY ISSUE. Location Services bugs, Time Zone Settings power bleeds, that sort of thing.

Please, if this is your first iPhone, and you've never used an iPod Touch:

There are free workshops offered at any Apple Store. Download the Apple Store App and you can check locations and schedules, even reserve a spot for a Workshop.

If you open your Safari app and check the Bookmark icon, you'll find your User Guide for your iPhone. It'll help you figure out what to do.

Open your keyboard and dial, *3001#12345#* and press Call. It's a native system monitoring app.

Double-click the Home Button. Check to see how many apps you have running in the System Tray. Press and hold on one of these until they jiggle; touch the white minus(-) sign in the red circle to close that app. Imagine trying to run your laptop with 30+ open tabs running at the same time. Shut unneeded processes down.

Educate yourself.

Journeyman

Just updated to 5.0.1 and went up to the top floor of the parking garage....50-60 feet up.  I was eye level with a big cell tower here in Tempe AZ that was 300 feet away and I had full bars.   Ping 281, Download 0.14, upload 0.27   Mbps.    Signal strength in field test screen was -60.      You cant do much with an 18.5K modem!!!  We might as well be back in 1987.

Journeyman

va_jr wrote:

Just make a post on Reddit with a screenshot of those attrocious speeds, mentioning the $10 "premium data" fee. That should get Twitter and other social networks blowing up.

I called sprint today and got the $10 fee waived for this month. I think all of this negative publicity might be working. I looked at my account after I got off the phone with them and I can assure the credit is there. I actually have 2 phones on my account so they gave me a credit of $20.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

To everyone that thinks that the new IOS 5.0.1 will help with signal strength or internet speeds are sorely mis-informed.

Nowhere did I or anyone else post that the new 5.0.1 software was to fix this "issue".  When you download the "fix" it tells you the 4 things that it corrects or improves upon... none of which are to increase or fix the internet connectivity problem... so stop trying to "go to the roof" and test it.... all you'll get is some extra excerise out of it.

As I first posted about this new software update... it will take time for them to figure it out, program a new update and release... and yes, I am just as frustrated as the rest of you for paying for a service I am not getting.... is it Sprint's network of Apple's programming... who knows... but since Sprint is known (historically) for poor C/S... this "issue" just makes it all the more frustrating.

Sprint's PR team needs to "get out in front" of this issue and admit to the problems and stay positive.... as well as advise all of the C/S on what to do or say as to have just 1 consistent message (which they do not have).

Sprint... are you listening... I live in Kansas City and am available for hire to manage your Marketing and PR department.

Journeyman

Shantimt wrote:

By the way, the Apple update was primarily TO FIX THE BATTERY ISSUE. Location Services bugs, Time Zone Settings power bleeds, that sort of thing.

Please, if this is your first iPhone, and you've never used an iPod Touch:

There are free workshops offered at any Apple Store. Download the Apple Store App and you can check locations and schedules, even reserve a spot for a Workshop.

If you open your Safari app and check the Bookmark icon, you'll find your User Guide for your iPhone. It'll help you figure out what to do.

Open your keyboard and dial, *3001#12345#* and press Call. It's a native system monitoring app.

Double-click the Home Button. Check to see how many apps you have running in the System Tray. Press and hold on one of these until they jiggle; touch the white minus(-) sign in the red circle to close that app. Imagine trying to run your laptop with 30+ open tabs running at the same time. Shut unneeded processes down.

Educate yourself.

Your comment is totally irrelevant and has nothing with what I'm talking about.

I don't have an iPhone and rather not use one. I didn't say it    directly, but with all the little hints, it should've been obvious. FYI,  I'm a Power User and I used to have an iPhone (USED TO) but it doesn't  cut it.

Perhaps YOU need to go educate yourself. And while you're at it, learn how to comprehend.

The point to my comment IS, the slow data connection is, more or less, an iPhone related issue, and NOT Sprint's network. Since Sprint's network is  to blame, shouldn't I have gotten iPhone 4S-like connection speeds as well, since  I'm on Sprint and is using Sprint's 3G? My Android phone and the screenshot doesn't think so. And before you point out locations, re-read my original comment and you'll see that I said I'm in "below average" to poor 3G coverage area. As far as "Imagine trying to run  your laptop with 30+ open tabs running at the same time" I CAN, because  I have a desktop & laptop powerful enough to process everything  without lag. Just like my phone, it's powerful enough  to actively run 10+ apps at once, with light to very little lag.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I have had sprint for 10 + years and have been extremely satisfied. I received the iPhone 4s and I am having terrible speeds. Most of the time my phone doesn't even show 3G just the circle. I have never had a problem before now itis constant. Phone only works right in my house with wifi. Please help us sprint or apple. This is giving me a real negative attitude toward sprint's ability t o handle these phones.

Journeyman

Shantimt wrote:

Hate to tell you this Liquid-X, but you're one of the lucky ones. I've had my 3G fail to the point where I couldn't text. When it was actually important, regarding a child's safety.3G constantly fails in my house. I had better speeds with a Nokia 6225. Really.

I'm not one of the lucky ones. I just happen to have an older, but still better phone. The connection issues only plagues those with the iPhone 4S. I have an HTC Evo and my friend has a Iphone 4S. We do side by side speed test comparison and his results looks like everyone else on here, while I get 1 - 1.5 Mbps all day, on 3G. Keep in mind, I'm NOT in a strong (not even "good") Sprint coverage area. If you Nokia 6225 worked out better, why don't you just switch back to it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

We arent sorely misinformed, you moron.  I just stated that so people would know that before and after the update, the speeds still suck the same, and I was VERY close to a tower.

Journeyman

I called Sprint customer service today. What an experience that was. After about 2 hours they credited my account $20 because I have 2 phones that require the $10 premium data charge. Let me tell you guys this was not fun. I had to call twice, the first time they only credited my account $10 when I specifically told them it should be $20 because of the 2 phones. The second time took longer because they weren't going apply the credit for the second phone...makes no sense to me 2+2 still equals 4 doesn't it. I had to talk to an employee first, then the manager, and then somebody above the manager. I told them, "I have no problem paying the fee because that is what the contract said when I signed it, so until I get my (premium data speeds back) and my phone is usable outside of wifi, I will  be calling you back every month to get this waived." He ended it with I can not guarantee that it will be waived next month. I guess we will see what happens.

Has anyone else been able to get this removed?

Journeyman

I actually have only been with Spring for a month & within the first 5 days of my service I had nothing at all in my house.  I called & talked to 3 different people.  They told me that the airave would work.  I have had it for 2 weeks now & my internet is amazingly fast, I no longer drop calls & all of my texts go through & come through.  It was free of charge to me & i am happy they offered it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat