Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

How do you add a screenshot?

Journeyman

Download a screenshot app from the market. Put pic on your computer and upload.

Journeyman

No that is not what you do... No app needed just hit the home button and the sleep/wake button at the same time ... The picture will end up on your camera roll, email it to yourself and then upload it from your computer

Journeyman

No app required to make a screenshot with the iPhone. Press the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously to make your screenshot find it in Camera Roll and select small rectangle-with-an-arrow icon to find Copy. Paste that to your post.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

On Friday (Nov 11) I went to a local Sprint store and compared the data rates on my Sprint iPhone 4S to a Samsung Galaxy S II on display. The Samsung is a 4G device so I turned off the 4G and, of course the wifi. I did three tests using the Ookla Speed Test app on the Samsung (fortunately it was installed) and then three on my iPhone with the same app.

Samsung using 3G network mode:

1: 98ms ping 176kbps (.18Mbps)/down  550kbps (.55Mbps)/up

2. 196ms  144kbps   627 kbps

3. 140ms  493kbps  641 kbps

My iPhone 4S (Sprint)

1. 121ms ping 336kbps (.34Mbps) /down  411kbps (.41Mbps) /up

2. 105ms  271kbps  108 kbps

3. 116ms  683kbps  207 kbps

I tried loading some webpages on the two phones. Qualitatively the load times were similar.

As an aside, I tried the Samsung with 4G on and the speed test result was crazy fast and web page loads were like lightening. I really wish the iPhone was 4G.

The iPhone and Samsung performed about the same. In the speed testing I've done in my area, these results are on the high side. I'm often lucky to get 100kbps if there is any data service, which makes data features frustrating to use.

One question- does anyone know if Sprint stores have celular repeaters in the store to increase reception? I did one speed test on my iphone outside the store before going in where the results were much slower than what I just reported. Thinking about it know, that seems odd.

Going into the tests I assumed the Samsung would be faster based on postings where people had said they were getting better speeds on their android than their new iPhone. Now I'm not sure if my dissatisfaction is because the Sprint network in general in my area, a heavily populated urban area on the Washington DC border, isn't great or of it's an iPhone/Sprint issue like this thread is about.

Journeyman

My sprint store does, I get 2mbps at the mall with the sprint store and everywhere else in town get .18 mbps. Whenever I complain they spew test there and say things are fine. Lol

Journeyman

I finally cancelled my service with Sprint after a month of complaints and countless hours of techincal support regarding the slow data speeds. Sprint agreed to reimburse me the price of phone and waive the early termination fee as long as I return the phone. they provided the return package and I will be sending it back today.. I went with AT&T and what a difference..so if you are not getting the speeds promised, call them and request to have your services cancelled..I just need to wait for the refund and probably many hours of phone calls again.

Journeyman

So far I have to say things are good with Sprint and I will be keeping my iPhone 4S. Things will get better eventually for everyone else as Sprint adjusts thier network. In 02115 I'm pulling 1834 kbps down and 536 kbps up. About the same at home as well as downtown.

I certainly don't blame people who are getting those slow speeds for cancelling, but with all the negative posts and the positive service I've had so far I wanted to share my thoughts.

Journeyman

matttk wrote:

As an aside, I tried the Samsung with 4G on and the speed test result was crazy fast and web page loads were like lightening. I really wish the iPhone was 4G.

Apple is never going to make a 4G enabled phone. Apple don't want to deprive of its battery life. If crazy, lightening-like speed is what you want, you're better off with a 4G phone because iPhone's will never the the light of day of 4G speeds.

Journeyman

Obvisouly this iPhone will never get 4G, but future iPhones will. Otherwise Apple would never sell any new iPhones in the future. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T are going with LTE as their future networks. Therefore I would think next year Apple would release an LTE capable iPhone.

Just look at the original iPhone. AT&T had 3G, but it was Edge only becuase the 3G technology was so new. The next year, they released an iPhone 3G. It had a little worse battery life, but it had 3G. Based on Apple's process of not jumping into new wireless tech too fast, it predicates that the next move for apple would be an iPhone would have LTE 4G. 

Of course only time will tell on that one.

Journeyman

photo.PNG

My speeds have been improving here in CT... but still inconsistant.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Just got off the phone with Sprint. My daily one hour waste of time as they transfer me from one agent to another, then leave me on hold for 20 minutes, etc etc. Open a new trouble ticket... blah blah blah.

They once again blamed Apple for the problem and said that it was all iPhones, Verizon and At&T. Not just their network. Is this a load of lies?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat