cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Speeds here in Houston on my 4S 64gb are very slow (less than 0.20 kb down and even less up).  Wierd thing is my friend has a 32gb sprint 4S and side by side his was getting nearly 2x-4x my speeds he was averaging around 1.2mbps down.  We had both phones side by side and his was gettting way better speeds!  I checked and we're both on PRL 51082.  Is it possible that I have some rogue application stealing all my bandwidth? or too many exchange mail accounts (I have like 6 e-mail accounts including all my gmail/hotmail/work/icloud all setup as exchange servers)?  Is there any diagnostic app that I can use to see which programs are using the most bandwidth in the background?

Also, another wierd thing is that when I'm in Philadelphia, my speeds are in the upwards of 1.3mbps so I know it's not an issue of my CDMA radio being faulty.  I've tried the ##update# and everything else but I can't seem to get consistent speeds! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I've spent countless hours on the phone with both Sprint and Apple, to try and make my iPhone 4S the best that it can be, and I've worked in phone service myself, so I can tell you;

Honestly, it depends on which representatives you get, and from which city, and what mood they're in at the time. Bear in mind that that representative has probably heard a dozen people before you with their complaints, and has been given a script that they are supposed to follow:

What exactly was your issue(s) during your calls? Is it Internet speed, call quality, battery strength? Write down your issues, have the list ready when Customer Support asks you questions.

Have you been monitoring your 3G speeds, keeping records? There are several free apps, like Speedtest.net, that you can you use to monitor your speeds. Same thing goes for battery usage apps.

Do you clear out apps that may be running in the background using the multitasking bar?

Have you had your iPhone diagnosed at an Apple Store(If you download the Apple Store app, you can make an appointment at your local store and not have to stand in line!)?

Have you discharged your iPhone to zero(until it shuts itself down) and recharged it past 100%(by at least a half hour), using the Apple cable and charger? Have you tried a hard reset(press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple logo, then release, let it reboot)? Doing these two things can actually improve your iPhone's performance.

Believe me, I've got MAJOR reasons to be furious with Sprint right now, but you've got to meet them halfway.

Journeyman

I live in NW Harris County (NW of Houston) and as of late last week, my speeds have jumped from .9 Mbps to 1.8-2.2 Mbps.  I don't know what it is that made it change but I am enjoying the faster speeds.  Hopefully things will start to get better for all of us.

Journeyman

I am waiting to activate my 4s with Sprint until some of this issue is resolve. I have seen other users present the difference between their iPhone and some other phone. I personally have had really, really poor speeds on my Hero for the past few weeks. I didn't even know Spring was selling the iPhone, but noticed that my speed had diminished tremendously. I am averaging a down speed of .4 and up of .6. At one point I was able to pull 1.1 down. This is nuts. It was never this way in the past. I hope this gets resolved quickly!

Journeyman

Well, I got a big surprise today. Sprintcares had PM'd me that in my zip code they would have the towers upgraded by the end of the month. My downloads were miserable: all between 1 and 110 as my fastest. Today everything was different; I tested multiple times and the speeds were all in the 1000 range....between 800 and 1100 all day, in a variety of different locations. I'm a believer again. Hopefully it will maintain. Be patient and PM him with your zip code....he will give you the straight stuff.

Journeyman

I personally haven't had the slow 3G speed issues, but obviously other people are. Another friend I talked to today had slow speed issues and now it seems that their speeds have improved as well. They also have been working with Sprint.

People certainly have the right to complain, but I agree about meeting half way. Unless you articulate the problem to Sprint, they have no way to fix it. It's good to hear some of the issues getting fixed. I really don't want to have to go to AT&T or Verizon.

Journeyman

I agree. Sprint may be a little difficult to deal with right now, but they are getting better at handling this mess every day. Right now I'm getting wildly fluctuating speeds from 143 to 759 and back again in the past 3 hours. I've got wifi backup, so I'll survive. I'm just going to stay on the Sprint and Apple forums and be informed.

Journeyman

In Westminster CO,  80021 and Downtown Denver 80202 speeds are very erratic.  Speed fluctuates between 17kbps down, 57 kbps up to 1316kbps down, 424 kbps up at both locations.  Business hours tend to have slowest speeds, so slow that you cannot watch you tube and email is very slow.  I have spent hours with Customer care and have gotten problems with the towers to everything is fixed and not showing any issues.  Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade network in Metro Denver area?  I believe there are too many users for available bandwidth.  Speeds are great early in the morning and late at night.    

Journeyman

Sprint tried blaming this problem on Apple the last time I called to complain, which isn't surprising. Sprint is just passing the blame so they can save face.

Apple doesn't provide your 3G service. Sprint does & this is *their* problem. Make sure you let them know that the next time you call and complain.

Journeyman

I live in Groton, CT and I just received my new iPhone 4S today and have absolutely no probs with it.  I know that I am prolly one of the few exceptions...  Sprint sounds like they are working on it tho.

the data could be faster but I'll give it some time cuz I love apple!

My test results were:

ping 159 ms

Download 2.42 Mbps

Upload 0.90 Mbps

Journeyman

Sprints solution to their extraordinary slow 3G data speeds is to recommend that customers force their phones to roam on other, more powerful networks such as T-Mobile or something like that. That's what I've heard anyhow from a local Sprint Store representitive. Only problem is that I don't think it's possible to force the Iphone 4S to roam on any thing. Sucks.

Journeyman

I'm glad some of you are getting better speeds. I just couldn't handle it anymore. AT&T works great in my area, so I had to cancel. Another reason I cancelled was because of missing text, double/tripple text receiving and  missing voicemails. Good luck to you guys that are hanging on.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat