cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

What makes this whole fiasco all the more worse is that Sprint continues to advertise Blazing Speed.... Ridiculous!

Highlighted
Journeyman

just did prl update now reading 51083... no difference though 😕

Highlighted
Journeyman

photo-1.PNG

Here is proof do'nt know what that means ???

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too just got the 51083 update. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to truly test anything, I get decent speeds at this hour usually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

my speeds are actually worse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I read something every interesting today regarding a sell off of bandwidth from sprint to a new partner.  This would explain maybe some of what is going on to be able to handle all the data or possibly a throttle of data to handle the new carrier.  You can read it here @ this link  

http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/24211/usa-new-carrier-offers-19month-unlimited-voice-text-and-data/

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Chicago and sprints network is horribly slow. The only time my phone is fast enought to be usefull is when i'm at home on my own network. I should have stuck with verizon...i probably don't even need unlimited data, which was the only reason i switched. I'm going to try and return, but i'm past the return limit.

As a side note, this is my first iphone and that battery issue...wow. The software update allows me to get through the day now, but i hardly use my phone so there's no reason it shouldn't last longer than it does (and yes, i've read the suggestions about turning off Notifications, Ping, Bluetooth, closing programs in task bar, etc)

My lastest speeds:

Ping: 432

Upload: 0.01

Download: 0.17

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is blazing... I'm fired up and hot about how slow it is!

Highlighted
Journeyman

photo.PNGphoto.PNG

To start off it gets me very aggravated that a post with thousandths of reply doesn't have and official answer from sprint here in this post. Guys the issue is not the phone hardware or software ok. There is only two possible choices here 1st they are controlling the amount of data use by iphone user on the first week to avoid crashing from the massive usage we do when for example sync with icloud and download all the app's we need etc on the first couple of weeks ( and free it up at nigh as you can see on the pictures above) or 2nd they just can handle and will not be able to handle all the amount of new subscribers at any time till they do that project they are on or they loose costumers the same way they got them because bad services. If I'm wrong I invite the sprint guys to came and say something different. I got to be honest this is the only company I can afford and yeah you get what you pay for but it didn't use to be this bad and I was happy before. if the problem is the second one sprint have two choices sit down and wait to see who fall in the trap of 2 years contract or who go and sued their asses for false advertisement. any how they will loose as many costumers as they earn and not mentioning respect and image as a company. very sad if its like that they can always do a contract with a company that provide them extra strength for the time they need to do that network upgrade they will do, I don't know hopefully they do something in the next two week or ill go to another company even if that means no more unlimited everything because i cant use my phone at all only at night and on wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It means nothing. A PRL update doesn't affect your data speeds it just controls what towers you roam onto hence the name Prefered Roaming List. All the people talking about ##update# fixing it were wrong that would NEVER be a solution and a simple google search would reveal why.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Understand_how_the_Preferred_Roaming_List_is_used/case-cx8...

Highlighted
Journeyman

After one more day with the phone, I have been experiencing the same issues. At night, my speeds are better, but during the day, downright sluggish and essentially non-functional. I have the additional problem of having 1-2 bars of service at all times, and have dropped about 10-15 calls in the 30 hours or so I have owned the phone!

I called sprint last night (bad sign, as it was essentially only 24 hours after I bought the phone) to start a ticket. The guy was very polite and understanding, and these are a few things he told me.

1) There  is a known, wide spread issue with slow data speeds and an open mass ticket out (Great, no denials!)

2) He would be happy to open a ticket for me just for documentation sake

3) Given my low bars in an area where they document their best signal, he believes I have a phone/antennae issue, and highly recommended I try going to the store and replacing the phone first! He recommended I do that ASAP, so as to have more time to trouble shoot without missing the 14 day window. He admitted that many people were confused by the 14 day window, and to make sure I do not miss this window.

5)He offered to send some sort of signal booster for my apt (Air-raid or something like that)

6)I asked about refunding the 10$ premium data charge, and he said this was totally reasonable given that I clearly was not able to use it.

All in all, no resolution of when these issues will end, but a satisfying encounter given the polite and understanding way my problems were addressed and the reasonable options laid out. I will be going to apple to return the phone today (I'm doing it early, within 48 hrs of purchase, as I am ALSO having the iphone BATTERY ISSUES! DOH)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Okay, I just noticed something very interesting yesterday while I was on the road.

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and I was out of town on a job assignment 60 miles away in Vicksburg. It's a very small town and I was getting *BLAZING* fast 3G speeds on my 4S. 2mbps+ on average. My average speeds in Grand Rapids are around .10 - .20mbps when I'm on the road and 0.30 - 0.40 while at home.

So this confirms my belief that this is a Sprint issue and has nothing to do with Apple. It all depends on your location. What I don't get is why such a small town would have better 3G service than a large city. Fewer people = more bandwidth available? Or is Sprint throttling certain areas?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat