cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

just checked.....9 so called improvements for my zip code.....ironicly....its gotten worse...as i have said(maybe not here but out there)

i get no one is perfect....but when it continues a down hill spiral...then what....

more so when i look and its "suppose" to be "better" and its WORSE???

Highlighted
Wizard

floorguyz I had read that article when it came out but others should read. Does Sprint has future plans in you area at least??

Highlighted
Journeyman

welllll like someone on another thread showed  https://network.sprint.com/search/84041/

you can check there and see what they have done/doing......that one is my zip....but like i said to them.....its funny (ok sad) but it has gotten worse since these "upgrades"

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I have noticed is there are a lot of people who are using the speedtest app. I just got my iPhone yesterday and it has been a breeze to use but when I run the speedtest it looks like slow speeds. I have come from an Samsung Epic and I am very happy with the speeds. I live in a south suburb of Chicago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I spoke too soon. In spite of my earlier post about speeds picking up rapidly beacuse I assumed they had upgraded the towers. That lasted about three days, and now I"m back to .4 or less.

Definitively would have gone somewhere else had I known that they would be this resistant to an actual fix. They should have been prepared for this a long time before the phone was released; they didn't. If I continue to have problems with both speed and roaming issues (when roaming all my calls go directly to voicemail; thanks, Verizon) I will eat the money.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have tested the network extensively in over 5 states with varying results mostly bad results. Since there is no official statement from Apple only Sprint (on their websites) saying that they are working to fix it, it is my user/professional opinion that Sprint does NOT have the infrastructure to handle the traffic, and the 3G speed offered by sprint is just not fast enough PERIOD! There is NO FIX... Other than to upgrade their entire network to handle the traffic and load! I'm not a techno idiot... It makes no logical sense that the speed issue is only an iPhone problem with Sprint. There is no software patch to rectify this problem -- SPRINT'S NETWORK is just too slow!

I moved to Sprint from Verizon because my friends on Sprint swore it was great. After experiencing these issues, I asked my sprint friends to participate in a speed test using their Blackberrys and Droids... Low and behold same slow results! WTF I yelled! You told me this f****** network was great?! ...And here in lies the problem... Sprint users have been living in a dark cave this whole time, not truly knowing exactly how fast their network could/should be! Of course I thought my 4 cylinder Honda Civic was fast... That is until I rode in a v6 and I was like wow! Now I dare not go back to a 4 cylinder!

I stayed past the 14 days because they said they were working to fix this problem. Now I'm stuck. So hopefully my experience will help others make a wiser decision. Here is my East Coast test:

Miami - average speed borderline acceptable... Download speed approx 230kbps

Orlando - OMG! The worst. A totally useless network speed. 126kbps. Worse than dial up. (yes I was outside too)

Boca Raton/palm Beach - pretty good 415 Kbps

Atlanta Georgia - not bad - 312kbps

Chattanooga TN - Almost got me fired for inability to send emails with attachments 290 Kbps

Brooklyn NY - pretty good up to 400 - 500 Kbps range.

Manhattan - pretty good 400ish. It's hard to say it varied.

River Edge NJ pretty good about 500kbps

Maddison NJ - not too good about 200 - 300 Kbps

This is in comparison to a iPhone 4 on verizon which is averaging 900 Kbps FYI... My collegue ran simulations with me... I will now eat the cost of this expensive lesson. Crawl on my hands and knees and beg Big Red to take me back. This what I get for trying to save $20/month. An iPhone on Sprint is totally useless off wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tested the spead again today, it has become much better actually...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ya. I just got 420 Kbps. But it's the best I've gotten considering its a Sunday at night. But still my husband's Verizon iPhone 4 just got 792 Kbps and he is able to do a lot better more than 1000 Kbps... It's an iPhone, we buy it so we can stream videos, music, and send large files via email etc. this dial up bs isn't cutting it. Also it's not just about how the network performs in your local neighborhood (work and home), it's when you are traveling that you need it most... So far it's a total let down.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doing pretty good in Wichita, KS.  I have had no speed issues since I got the iphone 4s on Thursday.  See my speed I got today.  With my discount from work, Sprint is much more affordable than AT&T and Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To Take2Girl and all others....

I just want to say, there are (b)its and (B)ytes.....there are 8 bits in a Byte.

So when you people are measuring speeds, 448 Kbps is divided by 8 to get Bytes.  If you are downloading or uploading a 500KB pic, it is 4000 kb.

When you are seeing any speeds in the Mbps or Kbps,  800K looks fast......1/10th of a MegaByte per second.  When you look at a file size, it is Bytes. It only makes sense to view the results on speedtest in kB/s.  It makes it a litte easier to understand for most.

Journeyman

I am familiar with the difference between a byte and a bit. I'm just quoting what the speed test says "Kbps"

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat