cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Actually, the main purpose of this contract was to ensure that, once the network has been upgraded to LTE 4G, users with WI-MAX phones (the currently used mode of 4G for Sprint customers) will be able to continue usage of their phones until they're eligible to upgrade to a phone compatible with the LTE systems. It's definitely a good thing. If they didn't have this in place, they likely would discontinue usage of the WIMAX system all together at the end of 2013 (the estimated time for full roll-out of the LTE system) leaving people who upgraded recently and aren't happy with phones available in 2013 high and dry with no 4G service at all.

As of mid-2012, the majority of Sprint phones released will have support for either LTE or both LTE and WIMAX. Though LTE is preferred due to its higher speeds, many will simply not want to convert immediaately. The LTE change will happen regardless.

Journeyman

I'm going to wait until an iPhone is released with access to with the LTE network. Once that happens, I may just have to make the switch.

GrandMaster

now were in a relm that loses me. can a current wimax phone be switched to run LTE through a update? or is it all about the software inside? im going to hold out and hope for one that can run both. travel and the sprint network arent exactly friendly at times lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

So this won't help us Sprint Iphone users 1 iota...

Journeyman

wimax vs. lte is not  a  software issue it is a  hardware issue.    wimax  devices will not be able to work on a LTE network...........

by the time  sprint had a  4g LTE network fully deployed there will be ample options in devices for us. 

and they have committed to keep the wimax network up and running for the next few years.  

GrandMaster

the network upgrade he is talking about is called the "Network vision" theyre upgrading all the network so there will be faster speeds/more consistant with 3G and an expansion of 4G along with better reception.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage/blog/2011/09/30/jus...

this actually explains alot.

you also have to remember that they are doing this in stages over the next couple years with the finish line somewhere in 2013... by then you'll be up for your next phone upgrade anways.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Between WiMax and LTE it is usually different chips.  If Sprint does LTE Advanced, that would likely be newer chips than current LTE devices.

Some info on LTE Advanced:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_Advanced

(includes links to other info sites on the tech.)

Not really related to iPhone yet (at least not 4S) but could be related down the road on future devices.

Journeyman

Ive been with sprint for years and ive just recently started to buy smart phones and they have always been so slow so i thought this was just a crappy phone so when the iphone 4s came out i figured finally a good phone, that is intell i was having lunch with a coworker Who happens to have a iphone 3g on at&t network so he asked to see my phone and then he asked me a question i never thought id hear... " why is it so slow?" so we tested his i phone 3g on at&t network on a speed test and it tested at 2 megs so then we tested my iphone 4s which had full bars on sprints 3g network and it poled .3megs so we tested again and again never over .5 megs. I live in a big town, madison, wi but yet no speed at all.  Then today i saw a at&t commerical that said their 3g was up to 3 times faster then others and i sat there wondering why am i sprint customer???!?!?!?!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

78218  Texas

075.PNG

Journeyman

I too have been a long time Sprint customer (since 2003).  I had been out of contract for several years until upgrading in January of this year to a smartphone.  I have had an EVO for about a year and was mostly happy with it, other than the battery life, the Sprint bloatware, and the botched Gingerbread update. To alleviate the battery shortcomings, I kept the phone in 3g all of the time when not around a wi-fi spot.

The data speeds and connection were reasonably good, but not great.  Until the Iphone release.  I work in the Chicago downtown loop area, and for all intents and purposes my phone is now non-functional during the week. My 3g service is now 1x and won't sync.  I put the phone in 4G, but the battery is then drained in 2-3 hours.  Further, I now have one signal bar where I had four before. 

I have done a lot of Speed Tests with the tool, and routinely have data speeds of 25kbps-75kbps download and 10kbps-20kbps upload. I have done this with both my phone and my wife's EVO Shift, with similar results.

After a lot of investigation, it appears that Sprint's network is nowhere near robust enough to handle all of the additional traffic that introduction of the iphone created. Toss in the recent cancellation of the "premier" program,  and I think Sprint is on the wrong course from a customer satisfaction standpoint. I am considering biting the bullet, paying the ETF, and switching carriers. I really like the guys at my local Sprint store, but am not willing to pay $155/mo for their friendship and two phones that don't work.

Journeyman

i've had the same problems, i don't know why i expected more from sprint. i keep getting droup calls and the data is so slow... when i can actually get service that i cant even enjoy what i thought was the best phone on the market, the iphone4s... what good is it having a smart phone when most of the time there is no service!!!

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

MODERATOR SAYS:

Please keep this discussion on topic (IPhone Data Speeds).

Please do not engage in personal attacks.

Yes, some posts get removed.  Please take discussion about that to another thread, in another space. Posts that violate the Community Terms will be reported abusive and removed.

Thank you.

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat