cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I just read online that Apple is trying to stop sales of of samsung tablets and phones in the US and worldwide. The US denied apple and ruled that samsung is inocent of indangering apples success. Apple knows its about to be out done and it trying to save itself.....well in my eyes anyway.

Journeyman

It isn't the Iphone.  It's the network that is the problem.  My EVO data plunged into unusuable territory on 3g with the release of the iPhone. 

As much as the fan boys and flamers will turn this into an argument about Apple vs. Android, it isn't either.  It's Sprint that is the issue.

Journeyman

I know for a fact that anyone with some spare time to deal for a couple of hours with costumer service and the money to pay for the estimated usage of the phone service for the time use can get out of the contract without having to pay ETF. I'm not a lawyer or son of a lawyer either know all the laws of this country but the last time I check my dictionary I said the definition of a contract is the agreedment between two parties on something. Sprint is at this moment falling to do what their own contract stays and that is provide a service for the costumer is paying for. This is not free service guys we are paying for and average is 600kbps not 6-9kbps and is your right to even sue the company for failing to follow contract agreedment and false advertasment. So if you want another service provider and are having this issue take your day off and fight your rights

Journeyman

You are getting an unlimited plan on the Iphone correct? The Iphone is a data heavy phone of course its gonna be a little slower on a 3g network priced to be unlimited to the masses. Im sure sprint is working on Lte like everyone else and when they finally get all aproval for there towers we will see not only faster 3g speeds but new 4g for those of us with it to jump on. It takes time to get these permits for towers and ive read sprint is on it like white on rice. As far as being a fanboy I may be an android fan but atleats I dont spout off before doing my reaserch on the underlying problem.

Journeyman

My best reading yet!  In Wichita, KS 67212...

Journeyman

Wow.  Congrates.  Thats almost 10x the speeds I was getting.  Getting good speeds now though

001.PNG

Journeyman

I used 1.7 gb in 8 days...If I was on AT&T i would have been capped out already.  I'm glad your speeds are great.  Before I got Sprint I asked around and looked at speedtests.  Kinda like try before you buy just to be sure.

Journeyman

I made a mistake of not doing speed tests before I resigned with Sprint.

I agree someone can really suck down some data if they try.  But at the speeds of 5kbps-300kbps, it will take you almost a month to reach 1.7gb.  I switched because I dont believe data speeds like that are worth $170 a month.  Not in my area.  We have smaller providers who charge you about half that price with quicker speeds and unlimited usage and no contract.

I also use wifi when at home and dont have much time to use my phone when I'm away from home.  I just need to my phone to work semi quickly when those few times comes around that I need to check out a website or something.  My phone was pretty much useless away from home.  My wifes phone (Samsung Epic) also started acting up after this GB update so if I stuck around with Sprint I had to factor in the cost of getting her another phone.

I really enjoyed the Iphone and wanted to get another one.  I chose at&t because it is cheaper (for me) and they get really good service in my area.  I will shop around again in two years to see different service vs price vs phones vs specials etc.

I continue to say this.  If I had decent 3G speeds (the advertised 600kbps to 1400kbps) then I wouldnt have left.  But at 5kbps and no scheduled upgrades in my area for atleast 6 months, it was an easy decision.  But I put my money were my mouth is and left and paid my ETF, instead of complaining about extra fees, slow speeds, dropped, calls, and just threatening to leave like others do.

I wish Sprint the best for the future.  I will consider them again in 2 years.  I just know that I refuse to pay $4000 (in two years) for this:

070.PNG

Wizard

Just so that everyone is aware on Sprint and on Verizon3g CDMA network you will not be able to get above 3mbps (since a few dont understand this). Average speeds are around 600 kbps to 1.5mbps with peaks into the 2mbps like we saw in an earlier post (yes it can be slower like we have see on this forum). Now if you are looking for better voice quality hand down Sprint and Verizon will be better than ATT and Tmobile. If you leave in a populated area you will have more constant speed with Verizon and Sprint than will ATT. This is a general post and this of cores can vary depending on user, terrain, backhaul, outages, problems, and more.

All in all if you are looking for speed between 2.5mbps dont even try with Sprint or Verizon 3g CDMA network cause it will not happen.

Journeyman

I agree those speeds are appalling.  The speeds I am getting are worth it.  My bill is 70 a month plus taxes after my discount through my work.  Not bad at all.

Journeyman

You will need to go to at&t to get above 2Mbps I guess

001.PNG

Wizard

Why don't you people post your locations??? Yet another person posting  with the "It's the whole network" conclusion, when in reality maybe,  just maybe it's the part of the network where you happen to be. That  still sucks for you, if that's the case but for me it's another week and  another work location for me to add to the growing list of places I've  been without Sprint network issues. I Hit 1286 kbps Down on my EVO (although only 149 Up)  when I tested two nights ago when I got into Jacksonville, FL. Just  tested a minute ago and got 953 kbps Down/612 Up. Slow by ATT standards  with their differing technology but not too bad for Sprint. Does "Dirt  slow" mean "unusable"? Posts like this make me wonder if your experience  at all compares to the  unusable  speeds some iPhone  users have been getting and is the topic of this thread. It's hard to  tell the current status of the iPhone specific situation because of all  the, "Me too, Me too I'm slow, It's the whole network" posts.

And Yes, Sprint and Apple have admitted an iPhone specific problem. Read all 3 million posts on this thread... it's there .

EriePenn wrote:

Its not just IPHONE data speeds, Dirt slow on my evo and samsun phone. Its sprints whole data network

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat