cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

I have a feeling that my situation is the exception, not the norm.   VERY fortunate, especially since the wife was convinced we should stay on Verizon.   With a 13 year old, caps on data were killing us.  I didn't do much internet research, I just got the feedback from the neighbors, when I found Sprint people to actually function up here, while consistently the others didn't the choice was a no brainer.

As an IT veteran of nearly 20 years, I would not have heard the end of it.  I am also concerned that as Xmas nears, the more devices that Sprint issues as gifts might saturate the area.  I live in between Seattle and Tacoma, closer to the Tacoma side, but not much, so it isn't like an area of low population, but I could see where being in NY or LA could be an issue.

I hope that Sprint get their system up to acceptable standards soon, with unlimited data plans, they are surely to take a good market share from the others.  When I talked to the Verizon rep just to see if they would make a deal good enough to keep me, even he admitted that Sprint was gaining customers based on Verizon's mistake of capping any new data plans.

Journeyman

I think Sprint has potential IF they keep unlimited data as they have already began to data cap other service they offer.  But I read that Sprint is worth $8 billion.  This is after years ago they bought Nextel for like $32 billion. 

They have pretty much lost money every year.  They are in a $20 billion dollar deal with apple.  I read reports that even with all the new accounts added cause of the iphone these last few months, they still posted a loss for the quarter.

I think this is an all or nothing for Sprint.  Having the unlimited data, iphone, and rolling out a new network is either going to gain them the customers and momentum they need to pull out of this constant loss in revenue.  Or it is going to be the end of the company. 

Just going to have to wait and see what happens.  Very interesting though

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

In wichita we have had 7 voice upgrades, 12 data speed upgrades, and 21 data capacity upgrades, and the results show for themselves.  The 2.25 was late at night but the 2.10 was at 1 PM on a Sunday when it was busy everywhere.

Highlighted
Wizard

jonlever wrote:

I think Sprint has potential IF they keep unlimited data as they have already began to data cap other service they offer.  But I read that Sprint is worth $8 billion.  This is after years ago they bought Nextel for like $32 billion. 

They have pretty much lost money every year.  They are in a $20 billion dollar deal with apple.  I read reports that even with all the new accounts added cause of the iphone these last few months, they still posted a loss for the quarter.

Yes Sprint has been losing money year after year (it was in the article i posted at the other forum to after you said Sprint was losing costumers and I proved you wrong). Now you say that you "read reports that even with all the new accounts added cause of the iphone theses last few months, they still posted a loss for the quarter" Jon can I see that report. Sprint Iphone came out in quarter 4 and Sprint as well as every other company is still in quarter 4 so there are no reports out. Also all investors know and Sprint has said it that the first year of the iphone Sprint is going to lose money since the phone are subsidize. Sprint however will start making money out those costumers once a year passes.

PS if tmobile is valued at 39 billion because of it Spectrum Sprint is in reality worth way more than 39 billion since it has more spectrum than tmobile. (This is according to ATT which set the price so high for tmobile)

Journeyman

3020fjr2.....

Dont put words in my mouth.  I did not state in that response that "I speak the truth".  I do not believe everything I read from 3rd party sources about a companies profits or losses.  I would think that only a handful few know the truth about their companies profit or loss.  They will then manipulate as they see needed.  Did we not learn anything from the recent crash with banks and the housing market?

Anyone can pick an article they feel works for their point they are trying to prove.  Here's just one article I found:

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/113966.html

-According to this article sprint posted 3rd quarter loss of $300 mil, down from $900 mil the year before

-They still need $7 billion to pay off handsets and a new network upgrade

-Sprint has $20 billion in outstanding debt that is due in the next 5 years

-Profits are not likely to roll in until around 2015

I dont really care to much about this kind of info.  Im not sure how we got on this subject and how it pertains to the slowing 3G network because of the release of the iphone.

You state that "I speak the truth but continue to post wronge information".  I have already said I speak the truth about what I have personally gone through with sprint and the speeds I am getting from their 3G network.  NOTHING MORE!!!

-I was getting data speeds of 100 to 500kbps

-I had a line wrongfully upgraded to another 2 year contract

-I was told unlimited data and then later had it capped

-I was charged to return a defective phone

-I have had posts deleted and user accounts banned in efforts to hid the truth of the slowing 3G networks

-I have watched my second line phone act up cause of a forced GB update

-I was sold a phone with known issues and told they never heard of it before

-I was told that a tower was down, thats why speeds are slow

-I was told the problem was Apple

-There have been so many issues I really forget them now

The article you posted was because I said "I bet sprint is loosing more customers because of the slowing 3G data."

Your response is then to post an article about the quarter 3 results but then come back and say we dont know the quarter 4.  Quarter 4 is the quarter that will tell you how much customers Sprint has loss.  Also the quartely posting include their Virgin network in the customer growth area.

I understand you are a Sprint fanboy and Im sure you have much reason to be.  Im just not sure why you would think that you have the right to say that someone has not been going through whatever issues they have with Sprint.  That just because it didnt happen to you, it must be a lie.  You have no idea what Sprint might do to another customer.  Just because they haven't treated you wrongly means they have treated everyone the same way.  Its ok for someone to go to another carrier you know?  We're not all data hogging Sprint fanboys like yourself.

Journeyman

Sprint is the new Cricket soon there will be Chirping then nothing....The data simply does not work in Chicago or Chicago area, unreal.  Have any of you been able to use or download apps w/o getting network "error" messages?  I personally have not.

I would personally dare CNET or APPLE INSIDER or better yet SPRINT to come to Chicago and do the test and see what happens....

Journeyman

I was on the Sprint's side of blocking ATT/TMO merger but I now think the opposite.  TMO and Sprint need to go out of business altogether as only thing they're doing unnecessarily defrauding their customers.

I'd be happy with either ATT or VZW. 

Journeyman

I really wish they'd cap the data.  Whoever uses this "unlimited" data thing to the max has got to be complete and biggest loser in the world.  What kind of losers watch movies on their 3.7 inch phones? I have [...] 50 inch samsung plasma for that.  There is a time and a place for that.  I understand maybe here and there you might go over 2GB but....I never got those people that use more than 3-4 GB's constantly month after month, seriously get a life...

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed profanity

Journeyman

Same with me.  i had originally signed with Sprint 6 years ago.  I use to like them cause they were cheaper, had excellent customer service, and always had a good voice/texting network. 

I do not know what went wrong.  I think them being the only unlimited data provider I guess.  I'm like you...how the hell do you use that much data?  Between work, sleep, and spending time with the wife, I barely have time to really do much with the phone.  I much rather have a 2 gig limit with faster data speeds.

Sprint has attracted alot of data hogs and it has caused the long time Sprint customer who only uses occasional data to have to suffer.

As I looked at my sprint contract, I noticed they were not cheap anymore.  After my recent dealings with sprint, I noticed they did not have excellent customer service anymore.  As my phone started dropping calls, I noticed they didnt have a reliable voice network anymore.

If you only have 1 or 2 lines, it may be worth paying the ETF.  Its either that or continue to pay the service that you have.  But if you want a quicker network, my I recommend...

001.PNG

Journeyman

I don't either...with work and family I barely have any time either so I really don't get how it is possible for person to use more than 3-4 GB's.  I am giving them extra 1 - 2GB of buffer room for data usage but apparently alot of people when you give them something good, they find ways to always abuse them.

Anyhow, I am a verizon guy myself.  I can't handle ATT's phone call quality.  Their data speeds are amazing.  I have a buddy here at work who showed me.  Blazing speed, zero buffer time, unreal.  I am one of those few people who actually uses the phone for "Phone" purposes and I like to have uninterrupted conversations with other humans when Im on the phone instead of "what did you say" 10x.    

Journeyman

Ok so your thought is anyone who uses there phone for on site research or to access sites for work are losers? Look some of us need to be in touch with customers and the web and tons of other data useing reasons. An unlimited plan is ideal for these folks because  of obvious reasons. So in other words its because we acctually yave a life and a reason to have a smart phone besides to show off, facebook,or just make calls. Then come on a website bashing others for useing there phone for what its meant for not just to look good for friends or at the bar. So ya not only does your statement apply to you but you now look like a Real smart guy dave.

Journeyman

It was between Verizon and At&t for me.  I dont really talk alot though.  And at&t was cheaper than Sprint because of an employer discount.  They have so far had pretty good voice quality though in my area.  As with all the providers, it really depends on your area.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat