cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

At work, I'm getting between 100kbps and 300 up and down (nearly unusable) In the same location, on my Droid X, I'm getting between 800 and 1000kbps up and down.

Out and about on the streets, its better, but at best, 1/2 of what I get on VZW 3g and at worse, 1/4 the speed.

On the flip side, the Verizon plan we'd have to get is $13 more for each phone, per month.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The data speeds HAVE gotten better, at least for me in Chicago.  Upload speeds are still pretty shaky, but I just pulled .94 mbps download; around the same time yesterday it was 1.24mbps.

There are slowdown times but I stream pandora constantly with no issues; biggest frustration are upload speeds from time to time (picture msgs, mobile fb uploads).  Already pulled ~3GB of data this month over the network.

I just have the iPhone 4.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't feel to bad, Sprint 3G data speeds have been 100-200 Kbps AVERAGE downlink for months in South Florida where I am at. Six months to a year ago we had 800-900 Kbps downlink average. We all need to spread the word to log performance using Speedtest.net, RootMetric's app, Sensorly and OpenSignal map. Speedtest.net makes it real easy to e-mail your comma delimited test results as well. Sprint techs and customer service are trained to blame your phone and not their data network and their phone tag is setup to maximize the chance that you get frustrated and never pursue performance complaints. If you e-mail them, they only send you a canned e-mail telling you to call their escalation number so you can delude yourself to think you are getting extra service when you are just being thrown back into the back of the queue again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Absolutely unacceptable. And it's like this ALL THE TIME, day or night. How can they get away with this?

photo.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

IMG_0820.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

IMG_0821.PNG

my iphone is so slow, every feature on it is useless, thanks for the overpriced calculator sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

IMG_0822.PNGspeed test with wifi turned off

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry man hope it gets better.  I haven't had any speed issues so far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess you should move to Wichita Kansas.  But then again, if we all started moving there, then Bigbearks70 might be complaining like the rest of us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nah we can handle it here.  41 upgrades in the last 6 months.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My city also has had upgrades.  But with it being the 7th largest city in the nation at 1.3 million people, I'm thinking they have alot more upgrades to go to have their network on par with the other providers around here.

I see your city has about 300,000.  Im wondering how many it would take to give you the data speeds like the rest of us?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure.  I did speed tests before buying the phone and consulted with 10 close friends with Sprint and did speed tests on their phones as well.  #homework...AT&T is bad here with the dropped calls.  Had AT&T before Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat