cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

True Story Edwin-Davidson!  Happens to me all the time, everywhere!  Yeah, I am completely done with Sprint.  After this incident, I'll gladly pay $20-30 more with Verizon.  I am just waiting for sprint to make one of those "upgrades" on the contract so I can leave Sprint without paying the ETF.  Normally, I"d pay the ETF and bounce but the way Sprint has screwed me over is not even worth paying the ETF.  I'll play their game, bide my time and adios!   

Journeyman

The day Sprint fixes this will be the exact same day that Obama will fix the healthcare. 

Journeyman

you guys have lemon phones, take them back, mine is perfect

Journeyman

I'm prob gonna switch back to my Evo the  3g speed is so bad even if I have a full bar, I bought my ip4s so I can replace my 2 year old 32gb iPod touch and upgrading to the 32gb ip4s  with better camera world phone etc. for a few more $$ was a good upgrade.

Journeyman

Ditch the stupid iphone man its a waste of money, no flash support, no open source apps, dictator style marketing and customer care, apple dictates what you need to have rather than let you decide, and only comes with 3g speeds, apple needs to step up their game if they want to be able to compete

Patron

photo 2.PNGthere is indeed some issue with 3g speeds. I have been following this thread since its inception shortly after the launch of the iphone, and it has always been pretty slow. This is coming from a user in a metropolitan area of Houston, so there should be no excuse for this poor excuse of data service. Sprint's data service is severely holding back this phonephoto 1.PNG

Journeyman

Just adding my two pennies to this discussion hoping for a resolution. Sprint has never been anything but good to me from a service point of view. Here's hoping they get a fix in soon.

Meanwhile, this is my experience:  There is definitely something wrong with Sprint's iPhone 4s's 3G performance. 

I just switched from an HTC Evo Shift to an iPhone. For calls and texts, there is no difference service-wise. For 3G there is a massive difference in performance. (I'm not talking about the Evo Shift's 4G speeds. I almost never turned the 4G antenna on, as it tended to eat a lot of battery and Sprint's 3G service was normally more than fast enough for most things.) My Evo Shift on 3G regularly got between 1 and 2 Mbps down as reported by the Speedtest.net app. I typically ran the test from my desk where I get a full signal (Usually on the order of about -60dBm). The iPhone I now have reports similar signal strengths using the field test codes. However, with the iPhone on 3G, I *never* get more than 0.5 Mbps, with 0.2 Mbps being typical (9 out of 10 tests). This is a repeatable result and I have since enlisted co-workers with Sprint Android phones to test, eliminating the possibility that it is a network issue that just happened to crop up just when I bought my iPhone.

While these speeds are serviceable (albeit barely), they are obviously a degradation of my service simply because I purchased an iPhone from Sprint. Losing on the order of 80% of my wireless bandwidth is a problem and one I expect to see fixed. For now, I am waiting patiently for Sprint and Apple to compare notes and find a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went into the Sprint store, and they simply did ##UPDATE# and reset network settings, and the phone got 3mbps down and 1mbps up for about 10 minutes before going back to getting around 0.5 both directions. The Evo Design 4G I tested against got around 2.5-2.75mbps on 3G, so this isn't a network problem, it's isolated to the iPhone.

Nonetheless, since the merger didn't go though, I might set sail for T-Mo. C'mon Sprint. When I first joined back in 2010 your service was amazingly quick and awesome, and now it seems to be dragging it's feet.

Journeyman

Exxodium wrote:

I went into the Sprint store, and they simply did ##UPDATE# and reset network settings, and the phone got 3mbps down and 1mbps up for about 10 minutes before going back to getting around 0.5 both directions. The Evo Design 4G I tested against got around 2.5-2.75mbps on 3G, so this isn't a network problem, it's isolated to the iPhone.

Nonetheless, since the merger didn't go though, I might set sail for T-Mo. C'mon Sprint. When I first joined back in 2010 your service was amazingly quick and awesome, and now it seems to be dragging it's feet.

Were you at the Sprint store the whole ten minutes or did the speed drop off after you left?  Many carriers run microcells in their stores which give phones in the store full bars and fantastic performance.  Once you leave the store, you are back on their public network and subject to the network issues.  I remember many years ago having terrible Verizon signals near one of their stores yet going inside, the coverage was great.  It would not surprise me if they were running a microcell in the store.

Journeyman

Agree that is likely.

The real question is has Spint identified the problem and are they committed to getting it corrected by a particular announced date ? I would hope and believe so.....

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

12/24/2011  17:56 Brklyn, NY

photo(w).jpg

Journeyman

No one will tell for sure what exactly problem is. Some CS rep will  ask you to reset network and dial ##UPDATE# other may tell you this is a  problem with network settings profile for iPhone on Sprint site. But as  far as of today 3G network still "slow". Check my updated post with  speedtest screen shot.

And here is RP from http://thenextweb.com:

Sprint has sent us the following and says that it is the only official statement regarding the status of the iPhone 4S on the Sprint network.

Overall, iPhone performance on the Sprint network is  consistent with our expectations and the rest of our high-end portfolio.  Sprint also did bench-marking of Sprint’s iPhone against competitor’s  iPhones and the testing showed little to no performance difference. We  are seeing a very low return rate for this device but we are watching  the reports of speed issues very closely. We do see opportunities to  optimize performance, specifically in high network capacity areas. We  see this as typical optimization work and do not have any specific area  of concern. Sprint is committed to providing the best possible  experience for our customers. We are listening to our customers and  working closely with our partners at Apple to ensure optimal performance  of iPhone devices on our network.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat