ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I have been getting over 150kbps down and around 80kbps up or so. Not great, but decent for EDGE. At this current location (near SFO) web pages are loading about the same speed for me.

The tmobile prepaid option is not perfect either... seems that they do not support selective forwarding on the prepaid plans. So, it means a less than ideal integration with Google Voice. Sprint has the best integration with GV (transparent on the backend) but it too isn't without its problems although the problem is with GV. It seems to consistently drop calls after 30 mins (i do lots of concalls) so I had to disable it in the end. And, no thanks to Apple, the Google Voice experience on the iPhone is nowhere near what it is on Android. Although this whole ordeal has cost me a good chunk of change, I refuse to pay for Sprint's service that is not anyway near what the advertise. I should be getting minimum 600kbps down according to Sprint. If I was getting that I could live with it, but with several locations not even working I can't put up with it. And it's not like it's just some specific places, it's pretty much everwhere I travel... forget that!

Journeyman

photo 2.PNGphoto 1.PNG

I'm actually getting decent speeds for only average coverage. I feel like the speeds have improved a little over time here in Salem, OR. Hopefully it speeds up a little bit more. As you can see my first two tests were horrible!

Journeyman

SOMETHING MIGHT HAPPEN!.   I filed a complaint with the Fed Trade Commission for deceptive advertising, and today I got a call from the legal dept at Sprint, letting me know they had the complaint and were investigating.  Said it would take about a week.   They were going to monitor the signal strength in my area, investigate if the phone was the problem (Ha), etc. and then would decide if a monitary solution was justified. 

You too might get somewhere with this.   At least they have to respond to the FTC.  My speeds are stll running 0.12 - 0.47 in Dallas.

Journeyman

nice

Journeyman

was it fcc or ftc?  keep us posted what happens please.  I had not complained yet because I do not trust our lazy government would do anything but I think I might now. 

Journeyman

So, a Sprint engineer gave me a call and had me provide some diagnostics numbers to him. He checked the tower and (imagine my surprise) determined that it was a bit saturated. I do feel like they they are making an effort, but seriously how will this ever help me? I can call in to report the issue each time (wasting my time in the process) and let's say that Sprint really gets on top of things and fixes the issue 4 weeks later. That is great for the next guy, but if I am not going to be at this location again, then I am really never getting the service I pay for. I had a project in San Diego for 4 months (2 with EVO and 2 with iPhone) and the speeds were abysmal with constant switching into 1X for no apparent reason (3G signal was full bars) with data that would barely work. Granted on a few occasions at this very location I got some of the fastest speed tests, but this was certainly rare. I spent most of the 4 months tethered to a Verizon LTE Mifi. Having tried all the carriers over the years, Sprint has been the one I preferred. I was really excited about the iPhone coming to the "now" network, and now I am just very disappointed and don't see the value in the additional $72/month over my T-Mobile prepaid service in an unlocked iPhone. I suppose one reason would to stay would be to hope for being grandfathered into an unlimited plan when LTE comes along, but the truth is I believe the PAYG model for data is best and I would be a big fan of pooling data among multiple devices. I hate having to pay for a plan that represents the worst case in data usage and then not having that data rollover. This is another area that I just quite don't understand. Why does Sprint charge 5x more than the other carriers for overages? Everyone else charges $10/GB overaged while Sprint charges $50? It's like the first two beers costing $5 and then the 3rd one costs $25... makes no sense.

Journeyman

Sorry, I have been without Internet for 3 days, we've been trying to switch from Cable to AT&T (It's been quit a nightmare). Finally got it set-up, much faster! Those results were not on an Airave. I have been running more tests and I average around .6-1mbps. At times it is as slow as .1mbps, mostly just during peak usage times, I took a look at the map over at network.sprint.com, and my city is scheduled for 50 network upgrades in the next 6 months, 8 voice, the rest are data upgrades. And 70 have already been performed in the last 6 months, thank you Sprint! I'm located in Louisville, KY just so everyone knows. Take a look at the map! There must be a network issue by my work though because I have been getting speeds as slow as .05 for the last week. I'll need to call in and see what's up. There was a tower that had to be taken down but they said it would be fixed by the 30th of December, and while my voice signal has increased, my 3G is unuseable.

Journeyman

Update to data speeds-

10044368634665_ORIG.png

Still experiencing fast speeds, along with improved upload speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I give up, I'm done with Sprint. Was out this afternoon in downtown Grand Rapids, MI (49505) and my 3G signal was a consistant "0" wherever I went. Always had 4-5 bars too, so I know it wasn't a coverage issue. Can't deal with it any longer so I'm jumping ship and going with ANYONE other than Sprint.

I crunched the numbers and since I don't use that much data or text often, I'd be paying about the same if I switched to AT&T or Verizon with one of their basic plans. Only thing I'm worried about is finding someone to buy this Sprint 4S. To the people here that have switched, did you have problems getting rid of your Sprint 4S's? And how did you do it? (Ebay, Craig's?)

Journeyman

I had mine for 2 weeks and couldnt take it anymore.  I put mine on craigslist and had someone respond within minutes.  I had the 32GB and put if for $600 obo.  We settled on $550.  This was in the end of Nov though.  So I'm not sure if they are as "hot" as they were back then.

I had a second line for my wife.  She had the Samsung Epic 4G.  I put that on craigslist this weekend for $100.  I had 5 people hit me up. 

For both phones I met the people at a SPrint store that was good for both of us.

And your right, if you dont use that much data AT&T (2 lines) is the same price and Verizon is $10 more.  For 1 line AT&T is $5 more.

The final straw for me was that I waited a couple of minutes for a webpage to load when I really needed it to.  I decided then the service wasnt worth the price.  The smaller cell companies that Sprint sells their 3G towers to are getting better speeds than Sprint customers and for a fraction of the cost. 

My area close to my house was not scheduled for any upgrades.  Overall in my city there wasnt much scheduled.  But I live in San Antonio and think its because they are installing the LTE here.  So they are probably focusing on that as opposed to 3G upgrades

Norkusa wrote:

I give up, I'm done with Sprint. Was out this afternoon in downtown Grand Rapids, MI (49505) and my 3G signal was a consistant "0" wherever I went. Always had 4-5 bars too, so I know it wasn't a coverage issue. Can't deal with it any longer so I'm jumping ship and going with ANYONE other than Sprint.

I crunched the numbers and since I don't use that much data or text often, I'd be paying about the same if I switched to AT&T or Verizon with one of their basic plans. Only thing I'm worried about is finding someone to buy this Sprint 4S. To the people here that have switched, did you have problems getting rid of your Sprint 4S's? And how did you do it? (Ebay, Craig's?)

Journeyman

Ask yourself this question, what is making you leave Sprint? It it for multiple reasons, or just for the data? If you love Sprint's customer service, the way they do business, etc, then I may have a solution for you. If you don't like their customer service, the way they do business, etc, then AT&T or Verizon may just be a better fit for you. If your interested in working together with Sprint to work this out I have their Executive Customer Escalations Department. It is - 1-703-433-4401, you MUST dial the 1 or your call will not go through. They are only open Monday through Friday till around 6 or 7, I believe. They have helped me multiple times with network issues. They have much more power than the reps in the 1-800 departments. They even have their own personal phone number if you need to get in touch, just ask them for it when you call. If your interested, give them a call and see what they can do for you. In the Grand Rapids area, in the last 6 months they have performed 37 upgrades, 21 of which were Data related. In the next 6 months they have 46 planned, 31 of which are Data related.

Journeyman

I spoke to retentions and have put my account on seasonal suspension. I will reactivate in another 3 months to see if things have improved. I have been very happy with Sprint over the years and I really hope they can get the network issues figured out.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat