cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info Icee1. I've already made up my mind I'm going to switch to Verizon but I'll give Escalations a call before I do, just to see what have to say. The only thing that would keep me at Sprint is a major adjustment in my bill or an immediate fix to the problem. Waiting another 6 months to see if the data upgrades make any difference is not an option at this point.

As far as their customer service goes...I've only been with Sprint since the 4S release and I'm not happy with it. Minimum 20+ minute hold times and major attitude problems from their billing department...it feels like they WANT ME to switch to another carrier.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Really, that's odd? I get $20-30 credits almost every month simply by chatting with them, Sprint.com/chat. I usually just say "I have been receiving terrible reception at my home for the past 3 months with promises of fixes, but nothing has been done. I was wondering if I could receive a credit in compensation of the bad reception." And %85 of the time they'll give one to me. Either a $20 or $30 credit. I'm not lying, I do receive terrible, unuseable reception at my home. We do have an Airave, it helps at times, but other time's it's just another thing with a Sprint logo on it. And I have a landline for when my cell phone acts up, but it can be very very frustrating when I miss important calls and texts. The good thing though is that pretty much everywhere else I get great reception and lately much faster data speeds. The only place I have received bad customer service is in the store, some of their employee's need to be slapped across the face. I really hope they can find a fix for you, because coming from AT&T and Verizon just over a year ago, I love the Sprint experience. I had 3 lines with AT&T and 2 with Verizon, and for me AT&T was not even close to what Sprint's customer service, Verizon was about the same. It was just so overpriced. Plus, Sprint got service at our lake house, AT&T did not, and moving all the lines to Verizon was going to putme at about $185 a month just for enough minutes and unlimited texts. My Sprint bill is about $215, after taxes, for practically unlimited everything on 5 lines, no one calls landlines anymore really. If your having issues at your home, they will give you a Airave for free. It really depends on how good your internet connection is whether or not it will work correctly. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Journeyman

Great, I really hope they can get everything sorted out.  Keep us posted!

Journeyman

I had simular problem with my iPhone 4S I did a lot of reserch on it and I recently bought 3G booster zBOOST Wi-Ex ONE YX400-P FOR SPRINT and it improved my reception dramatically no droped phone calls and I am getting much better 3G speeds. I work dowentown NYC and this simple unit has made great deal of defference for me. This unit locks in on a particular tower and boosts signal through my office and suprisingly it works better in my office than outside when I am comuting. You can find them on Amazon Check I found this one eBay http://tiny.cc/cyvqb

Journeyman

How is your bill $215 for 5 lines?  If its a data plan I would think it to be $190 if no one has smartphones.  At $215 you have 2 and a half people with smartphones?  The pricing is also not including taxes and surcharges right?

If you compared Sprint to At&t for 5 lines all smartphones you should be looking at (before taxes) $240 for Sprint and $255 for At&t (2 GB per line).

At&t will be more.  But not by a whole lot.  This all depends on your needs.  It depends on how many smartphones you have for the 5 lines.

Icee1 wrote:

Really, that's odd? I get $20-30 credits almost every month simply by chatting with them, Sprint.com/chat. I usually just say "I have been receiving terrible reception at my home for the past 3 months with promises of fixes, but nothing has been done. I was wondering if I could receive a credit in compensation of the bad reception." And %85 of the time they'll give one to me. Either a $20 or $30 credit. I'm not lying, I do receive terrible, unuseable reception at my home. We do have an Airave, it helps at times, but other time's it's just another thing with a Sprint logo on it. And I have a landline for when my cell phone acts up, but it can be very very frustrating when I miss important calls and texts. The good thing though is that pretty much everywhere else I get great reception and lately much faster data speeds. The only place I have received bad customer service is in the store, some of their employee's need to be slapped across the face. I really hope they can find a fix for you, because coming from AT&T and Verizon just over a year ago, I love the Sprint experience. I had 3 lines with AT&T and 2 with Verizon, and for me AT&T was not even close to what Sprint's customer service, Verizon was about the same. It was just so overpriced. Plus, Sprint got service at our lake house, AT&T did not, and moving all the lines to Verizon was going to putme at about $185 a month just for enough minutes and unlimited texts. My Sprint bill is about $215, after taxes, for practically unlimited everything on 5 lines, no one calls landlines anymore really. If your having issues at your home, they will give you a Airave for free. It really depends on how good your internet connection is whether or not it will work correctly. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Master

The information provide   was    My Sprint bill is about $215, after taxes  

Depending on dicounts and taxes  sounds about right 

Journeyman

Wouldn't AT&T be more like 275 per month for 5 smartphones?

89.99 for 1400 minutes

30.00 for unlimited messaging

25x5 for 2GB data=125

And 9.99 for lines 3-5

Adds up to 274.99

Journeyman

If you feel you need 1400 anytime minute then yes, it will be $275 a month before taxes.

Icee1 had stated that no one uses land lines anymore.  Implying that they dont use that many landline minutes.  If you dont use many land line anytime minutes than you can get 700 minutes for $70.  This also includes nights and weekends, free mobile to mobile, and rollover.  So if you use 500 minutes the first month, you will then have 900 minutes available your second month.  If this is acceptable for your situation, then At&t will be $255 a month.

This price will include smartphone or non-smartphones.  It will include the LTE network that is wide spread in my area.  I believe at&t is getting the Galaxy Note which looks like a really sweet phone.

It all depends on your needs.  But if 700 mins is acceptable and if you have access to wifi and find 2 GB's acceptable, and if you have 5 smartphones, than AT&T is $15 more for 5 lines.

Journeyman

I didnt see him mention anything about discounts.  I try not to use discounts in comparrisons as this will obviously vary greatly.

I do not see how $215 is about right especially after taxes unless Icee1 has no smartphones at all on the account.  I pay $20 in taxes and surcharges on 2 lines for $150.  If he had 5 lines with no smartphones, his bill before taxes would be $190.  I figure it would be about $25 or so for taxes and surcharges giving him about $215 a month

14KNIGHT wrote:

The information provide   was    My Sprint bill is about $215, after taxes  

Depending on dicounts and taxes  sounds about right 

Journeyman

If Icee1 has 5 lines of non-smartphones, his bill will be $190 before taxes. 

If you were to compare at&t with non-smartphone planes, it would be $180 a month for 5 lines.  This would include unlimited data and unlimited texting, and the 700 anytime minutes.

If like you say, you feel you need the 1400 anytime landline minutes, then it would be $200 a month and be $10 more than the Sprint comparison.

Journeyman

Last week I posted that I filed a complaint with the FCC for false advertising, and got a call from Sprint.  Today I just got a call from their engineering dept who ran a couple of tests on myphone and Surprise! agreeded my speed was indeed slow.  With him on the line (Dallas) I got .14 down and .16 up.  He said at the minimum I should get .6 down and .35 down.  Next step:  Investigate the local towers for issues, like mice eating at the power sources (on top of 80' towers?) or a computer glitch, OR a simple saturation overload of the service here.  He's going to get back to me in a week.

Everyone, go online and file an FCC complaint.  Now. 

Journeyman

On the FCC.gov website?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat