cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Wizard

Relying on wifi is a waste.  First off you're paying for that data so you should be able to use it.  Secondly, the times that you need it most (mapping, etc.) are the times that you are least likely to be on wifi.  For example, if you're in your house or at work or in Starbucks streaming Pandora... it's no big deal.  But if you're trying to find an address or check traffic quickly or search for a place to eat or whatever, you're most likely not on wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on AT&T fake 4G 0.10mbps Image 2.jpgImage 1.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on AT&T fake 4G Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, how are you posting those screen shots?  I would like to post mine too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Press Home and Power at the same time.   Don't hold them forever.   Just for a second.   The cap will appear in your camera roll.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My boyfriend's AT&T iPhone 4s vs my Sprint iPhone 4s.....Yikes! Will be moving to his plan when the 5 comes out unless Sprint gets their act together.

att.JPGsprint.JPG

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why does your Sprint iPhone read "IBroke" instead of "Sprint"?

Is it jailbroken?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup.  I lie in SF and Sprint used to kill ATT and T-Mob in terms of coverage and even data speeds.  Now, no mater where I am I get like .20 up. pathetic!  I am also on my 3rd Galaxy S2 Touch 4G and it has the worst Loss of Signal Isue along with the worst WiFi reception.  I work in SOcial media and have engineers who sit by me.  They were astonished at the slow WiFi sppeds even when 10 feet from a router. To make a long story short I was told they refuse to give me any financial credit, even though the "capacity" and slow data issues on the towers in SF and in Silly valley willl not be upgraded for months.  Although filing FCC, BBB complaints used to get you somewhere at Sprint, it appears that is not the case anymore.  Also, although our contracts forbid Class Action Lawsuits, I would encourage EVERYONE to flood thisCommunity, as well as Twitter and every other Social network.  Eventually , hopefully, Dan and the Media will see this and we will finally see some change.  At least I hope.  Have been a mostly happy Sprint customer for 15 yrs but, like I told the network tech tonight, even if I have to cancel Cable or something else, i am very close to jumping ship to VZ. It's sad but, being in Social media, and being one of those who believes in FIGHTING for my rights, there is still the possibility that Sprint will "wake up" and realize that their "advocates" are becoming increasingly frustrated.

Lastly, Samsung, you suck !  How can I have the top of the line phone and have gone through 3 , all with the same issues.  My first two Galxy's were blowing my mind, in terms of speed and the screen.  But watching my 5 bar signal drop in the middle of SF to 0, dropping 158 calls in 2 months, i just rediculous.  Sprint admidts the problem and says that Samsung is aware, but they have no ETA for a fix.  UNREAL!  I even sent Samsung's PR agency an email and have yet to hear back.   Again, although we have these "contracts" you still have rights as a consumer and we can get what we pay for but the truth is that we all n eed to continue to do whatever we can to get them to realize that there are MAJOR issues that need to be resolved quickly or they need to credit our bills every month we have sub-par service.

Thanks for listening

G'night

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes it is jailbroken. You can customize the carrrier string to anything you want.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will go through 30% of my batter just by trying to retrieve my Facebook data. There is no way you'd be able to use Facetime or Skype on the go. Should I call Sprint and ask about this fancy iTouch they brand as iPhone???

But seriously, how successful are you guys by calling Sprint and complaining about this? I don't want to pay extra for Premium Data. Heck, all I want is comperable service to AT&T and Verizon. I left AT&T because their service sucked, should I do the same with Sprint???

Highlighted
Journeyman

well without you having to go through this entire thread and read every one, I will tell you that  most of the responses I've seen  say that sprint blames  apple for the issue, which everyone sez is BS.  I want to do an iPhone on Straight Talk when my contract expires  but I'm worried that the data and texting won't work. I've seen that problem on some message boards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Queens, NY and I was checking out sprint.com/network and it shows they just recently did two capacity upgrades in my area; this is what I got today at 11:48am EST:

photo.PNG

That is the minimum 3G speeds that Sprint advertises on their site and I can work with that for now. Last week around 5:30pm EST, I hit 1.4 Mbps. I was shocked so I guess those capacity upgrades have helped. I really hope Network Vision helps even more. I waited 5 months for this but this is only in my area. Certain other areas of NYC need upgrades pretty bad. In the Bronx, speeds are horrendously slow. In Northern New Jersey I was able to hit 1.4 Mbps all day long last weekend. I guess Sprint is slowly upgrading their network.

Remember people, it took AT&T 4 years to get good speeds on their iPhone. Sprint should've done the upgrades before getting the iPhone so they wouldn't have to be dealing with this now. Let's see what Network Vision brings us. According to s4gru.com, NYC is in the first round of getting Network Vision so I can't wait to see what it can do.

UPDATED speed test at 12:20pm EST:

I just did another speed test almost an hour apart from the previous test and this is what I got this time:

photo.PNG

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat