Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

---------------------

thanks for the link. I'll give them about 24 hours to call me back , then i'm going to fill out that compliant form and share the link in as many places as i can.

Journeyman

Filed my complaint with the FCC, I enourage everyone else to do the same

Journeyman

Cant wait to leave sprint next month to att when the htc one x releases. Finnaly i can use my data to its full potential.. I have never broken over 1 gb of data on sprint these past 8 months.... Pandora buffers WAY TO MUCH.. Web pages ... Dont even ask... Sprint is even removing towers in my area .... way to go.... Simply sprint is a joke with its unlimited data plan advertising. You cant use a lot of data if you cant get any decent speeds anywhere... Its not the phone, its sprint

Btw im in orange county ca....

Journeyman

I did but nothing has happened. Anyone got any luck?

Journeyman

I live in Queens/Long Island, NY and my speeds and signal strength have increased dramatically within the past month or so, especially compared to when I got the 4S in November. I was furious at the unusable service, I have no home internet so I was pretty much screwed. I became used to the mostly unusable 0.04 Mbps speeds, it was worse than dial up. My speeds were faster on "o" than they were on 3G. So I can relate to everyone upset over this.

I came from AT&T (iPhone 4) which had Swiss cheese coverage in my area. Yeah the speeds were nice when available but I used to have to reach for service a lot of the time, frequently switching between Edge & 3G to maintain a connection. My current service with Sprint is only slightly slower than I had with AT&T, it's not even noticeable. Occasionally I come close to 2 Mbps now, but I typically range from 0.50 Mbps to 1.6 Mbps which is perfectly usable. Plus Sprint is unlimited, I still catch myself monitoring my data usage, I almost always went over my 2 GB with AT&T.

If Network Vision is responsible for this I have to applaud Sprint, it feels weird saying that after being upset for so many months. I'm actually happier now with Sprint than I was with AT&T.

Journeyman

I just cancelled service for my sprint iPhone 4s the data speeds that I was getting were .22 download and .01 upload at best and I was having problems with sending picture mail and picture iMessages it would always have the red exclamation point and says "not sent". Of course I called sprint about the slow data speed and the picture mail issue. They said there were no towers out, did some rebooting, and then they sent me to a store only to be told "we fixed it"  then when you drive home the problems are back. So, I cancelled my iPhone 4s service, paid $340 ETF, and ported to AT&T. I pay 89.99 monthly with a 15% work discount from my employer. Oh yeah and don't stress over sprint's unlimited data as you would never be able to use but so much because it's so slow. So I have the 3gb data plan with AT&T. I checked with sprint first and asked how much data I've used on average for the past 3 months and it was well below 300 megabytes so the 3 gb with at&t is more than enough.

On AT&T my data speeds have been consistently around 15.5 Mbps - 17.2 Mbps download and 5.66 upload    

Even though I had to pay $340 ETF I don't regret switching because at least I'm paying for service I'm actually getting. Maybe if and when sprint data is working a lot faster I will come back as the data speeds and picture mail problems were my only gripe.

Journeyman

I called Sprit and they have me $15 credit for my two "premium" data charges. They told me to reboot my phone, then send me some signals and updates. One completely disconnected my data and voice. Then brought me back to the regular .26 kbps. I'm supposed to get a follow up call next week. Oh and they did say that the towers are being worked on, with one being completed early June. If that's true then it's cool. However, until then I'll try to get out of paying premium data.

I don't get how you end up paying ETF when Sprint violated the terms of agreement by falsely advertising their service.

Journeyman

FYI: this is definitely a backhaul problem. They are rolling out NV in the Dallas market and when I hang out near certain parts of town where there are NV completed towers I get 1.2-2.0 Mb even during busy parts of the day. In other areas (not yet upgraded) I get the wonderful 100k if I'm lucky, often 6-10k.

But I can say with certainty that the Network Vision upgrades are doing their job and seem to be resolving all the network problems. Sucks for those of you in 2nd tier markets but Sprint says all their towers will be upgraded by end of 2013. At the rate they are moving around here I am starting to believe them.

Journeyman

Xenadu2:

Those speeds are amazing. I live in NYC and I can't wait to see those type of speeds here. Sprint recently added capacity to a tower near me and before the upgrade, I was getting .20-.30 Mbps and now I am getting .90 Mbps and although it's still not over 1.0 Mbps, I can still surf the web and watch videos but I can't wait to see NV around here. Now I really wanna stick with Sprint and see what NV can do when fully implemented.

Journeyman

Just to let you guys know who keep posting these "speedtest.net" app screen shots lol...According to Sprint, "speedtest.net" is NOT...I repeate IS NOT an accurate site to test bandwidth speed!    Yes you heard me right folks!  I switched to Sprint back in early Jan of this year for the iPhone 4S and started to complain immediately about my non existent speeds.  When I told them I was testing with the speedtest.net app they told me "oh we don't use that app, we use an "in house" tool, what you are using is NOT accurate!

I told them that speedtest.net app is the most popular app around the world, what do you mean it's "not accurate?"  These people will do ANYTHING to blame the customer or the phone, instead of putting the blame where it belongs...THEIR NETWORK!  I mean to insult me so much as to make such a claim...I couldnt' believe that one!

I ported out a few weeks later...

Also to a few of you who think they are putting up new towers in your area...forget it!  They have been making these claims for YEARS NOW and nothing has changed!  Anyone who believes their service with Sprint will improve is just deluding themselves...sorry folks but that's the plain and honest truth!

Journeyman

I'm sorry but you are just plain wrong about that. You can go by the tower sites around here and see the new equipment as well as run the speed tests for yourself. They are definitely installing new equipment. You can also verify that they put out RFPs for over tens of thousands of gigabit network installs some of which AT&T Wholesale picked up, others Comcast/TW picked up, etc. You can look at the press materials for the major telco vendors like Erricson/Alcatel/etc and see they are rolling out their latest generation single-platform multi-tech gear with Sprint.

Is this a long time coming? Sure.

Am I surprised Sprint has peddled BS until they could get their act together? Not at all. What else were they going to say? Wait around for 18 months while we bid this stuff out and design a new network?

The big mistake Sprint made was buying Nextel. They should have saved that money and spent it on buying 700Mhz spectrum and upgrading their network. That's water under the bridge and I'm glad they are at least going to get rid of iDEN now. It's a dead weight on them and that 800Mhz spectrum is too juicy to waste on the few million Nextel customers left when there are tens of millions of us that need better 3G data right now, let alone LTE. Btw this is another thing you can confirm - the FCC just approved repurposing the iDEN spectrum for CDMA use and Sprint has an application in to use it for LTE as well. Since it penetrates buildings much better than the existing 1900Mhz it should provide much better coverage. IIRC they are going to cut off a slice of iDEN in most markets to use for a CDMA voice carrier to get better phone call/text MSG coverage right away even before iDEN is completely shut down.

Wizard

I don't have an iPhone. I just wanted to post here because everyone else seems to be and it is one of the few threads that I have not posted in.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat