cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I am not sure what has happened, but after making a few calls to sprint, my data speeds have gotten better.  I have gotten at best 2202kbs download and 1436 kbs upload.  The average has need over 1000kbs.  I am in central Virginia (Lynchburg) with 5 colleges and multimple engineering firms.  It could be that the students are gone, I do not know.  I also changed my test to hit the servers in Wilson, NC.  Running the test right now I got the following: 152ms (Ping), 2139kbps (Download), and 614kbps (Upload).  Honestly, that is more than acceptable on the iPhone 4s.

My ATT and Verizon counterparts are roughly the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with all the complaints made about the slow data services on the iPhone 4S. I'm really disappointed with how Sprint is handling this situation. I've had the 4S since last October and I haven't noticed any changes with the data network speed. Even AT&T sent their customers a 4G update. What's really going on w/ Sprint? The worst thing about it, is that I live and work in the MECCA of the U.S. (NYC) and my services suck.  I really wish SPRINT would get on the ball and send their iPhone customers a 4G update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The AT&T 'upgrade' was not really an upgrade.  What they did is had Apple change the icon for HSPA+ to indicate 4G instead of 3G.  They did not really get LTE or any other service generally considered 4G, and the speeds didn't actually change.  They do get faster speeds on HSPA+ than CDMA , but the protocol is only considered 4G by AT&T and T-Mobile.  The CDMA devices we have cannot get faster than about 2Mbit/sec down (I think the theoretical limit is about 3Mbit/sec, but don't think that can be seen in production), where actual HSPA+ speeds are sometimes more than that.

Having said that, there are a lot of us waiting to see what the actual fix is for CDMA performance on Sprint with iPhone (and some other devices that others have mentioned along the thread).  I have actually seen side-by-side two iPhone 4S on Sprint perform differently, so I'm not entirely certain it is just towers, but I'm still hoping the Network Vision upgrades will change the overall performance seen by all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel your pain. They claimed that one of the main Chicago towers was fixed and that everything should be better. That was about 3 weeks ago. I did notice some nice data speed increases but all of that came to an end. Now, they have some sort of outage. So instead of having crappy data signal, you have even crappier data. Oh, and on top of that I get a crap load of dropped calls and static. I tried calling them and complaining but nothing really came out of it. Heck, I even threatened them with BBB and FCC.

I'm left waiting for 4-8 weeks for their update to roll out. All of my family and friends know to avoid Sprint. Whenever I'd stop by their store I'd make sure to tell everyone to not sign that contract and go somewhere else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FCC and BBB complaints are in. Just let me go without ETFs Sprint!

Journeyman

2MB?!...I have been with Sprint for 12 yrs, long enough to still have "phone as modem" via tether and have NEVER seen 2MB...not once.

I, and the rest of rural America, have been held hostage by "committee's" and "commissions" and the FCC itself (who have ALL blocked progress of mobile data at every turn).

Finally, no thanks to the local government, some of us will actually be getting access to a hardwire connection and I can cancel my Sprint Account and move over to AT&T.

I fully suspect that Sprint is working on a way to wind down their contractual obligations, separate their business units and prepare for buy out or bankruptcy under the "too big to fail" guidelines that have been established by the very same entities that have helped push Sprint toward failure in the first place...

It's been a good run Sprint...thanks for the fond memories...it's too bad you couldn't keep up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

been a customer since 98 and finally said enough. Got 2 new one x's with att (employee discounted plan) and ported my numbers to google voice so i didnt lose the ability to txt on them via GV. The ATT hspa+ around here is so good i see 8mbps and can actually use gvoice  to make voip calls with my old number on my data connection. Sorry sprint I really was rooting for you but im not sure youre gonna bounce back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been a sprint user for a long time and I can tell you in the last couple months the data speeds are a joke.  I called customer care and the customer care person acted like I didn't know how to work my phone...lol.  I actually used to work for Sprint.  I just did a Speed Test sitting in Reston Va where Sprint used to have Corporate HQ and my download speed is 54Kbps and upload is 188Kbps.  This is shameful!  I am ready to cancel and move to a real network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, speeds have definitely gone down for me these past couple months in Grand Rapids, MI. I would always get 1mbps+ early morning 2-3am...pretty much the only time I'd get acceptable speeds with Sprint. Now 2-3am is no different than my speeds at 2-3pm in the afternoon which are always terrible (around 0.10mpbs down/ 0.05mbps up).

I've already talked 4 friends out of signing up with Sprint. Was really easy too....I would just hand them my phone and they'd get frusterated after a few minutes waiting for things to load.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can anyone tell me whether there is a correlation between signal strength as indicated by the number of bars on the upper corner of the display and data connection/internet access? I always have 5 bars, but I almost never can get any dats (podcasts/streaming radio or web). If my problem isn't signal strength, why the heck am I getting stranded digitally? Is Sprint just lying and stealing, promising unlimited data but not really having any bandwidth to sell?

Highlighted
Journeyman

That was actually part of my complaint to Sprint. Why is it that when I have 4-5 bars and 3G logo I get crap data, and recently crap signal? It's even more frustrating when I pick up the phone, dial a number, and look at all of the bars disappear! Same for data, that circle comes right in when I hit Safari or whatever Google search. So much for 3G or all their bars. I feel like I bought an iTouch and share some WiFi connection with 200 people watching Netflix. I've been calling Sprint every week complaining about this nonsense. Each time I told them that the longer they keep me on this contract the more time I will spend convicing people to not sign with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I always thought that the bars were just related to voice signal strength and has nothing to do with data speed. At least that's what I was told once by an Apple store employee.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat