Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Yes it was confusing. Sorry but I like sprint I just wish it had faster data which it should. The only thing that's keeping me back from switching is Verizon only gets 1-2 bars all in my area.....

Highlighted
Wizard

photo (1).PNGJust did a speedtest on my iPhone 4S. As you can see, Ping is pretty good. Just download and upload is bad. At night, i can get about 0.50 mbps down and up. So not too much better at night. Its still not too usable either. Takes me about 43 seconds to load a picture on facebook. On wifi, takes about 2 seconds. And on my uncles droid razr, took him not even .5 seconds to open up a picture...

Journeyman

I'm still struggling to get something done with Sprint's customer service reps. So far, they reduced their discount from $25/month to only $20 for the past two months which is nowhere near what I would accept. I was advised that there are no real problems on my two lines, and that static and poor voice quality is most likely due to some other unknown problem. Since they told me that they weren't any dropped calls on my account I will try to get them some more data to work with. You see, whenever I'd make a phone call and it'd be interrupted by poor quality or poor voice I'd just hang up. Now, I'm going to make sure to stay on the line until the stupid call drops. This will increase Sprint's drop call rate and hopefully get their attention.

I already got two people to opt out from signing another 2 years with Sprint. In the next few months four other people will end their misery with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Speed.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint 3G network is so slow that I laugh about it.  It has gotten to the point that I am beyond embarrassed doing speed test against other iPhones on AT&T and Verizon networks.  I really have no coverage issues, but Sprint data speeds are such a joke that they should be embarrassed to display the 3G signal on the iphone.  

Sprint.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree the speeds are slow. What happened to Sprints 3 G ? It used to be the fasted 3 G speed for a long time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I shared the same fate as other customers.  Unfortunately, I cannot change providers because it will cost me a lot of money after four lines with three iphones which i can hardly use due to the poor data internet access. We should be allow to cancel contract without penalty due to the innability of the carrier to provide a good service. Nothing more to add. SPRINT FIX THE PROBLEM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They got too many new customers and let their network fall apart, they have outsourced to Ericsson managing and maintaining its network. Seriously, Sprint? You're paying a seperate company to manage your network, and you're selling bandwith to Virgin Mobile and Boost customers?! I am hoping that once they are done with the Network Vision upgrade it will be better, on paper it looks like it will help aton, but real world results are always different. It used to be cheaper than AT&T and Verizon but once they implemented the $10 "premium" data charge on ALL smartphones and not just 4G WiMax phones, and took away discounts on additional family plan lines, they actually cost MORE than a similar plan with AT&T and Verizon. Even my son who is always texting and surfing away on his iPhone never uses more than 1.6 gigs a month. Of course, Sprint's network is so slow he is always either on WiFi or can't even use it when we are out because "3G" is so slow. So not being able to use it may be a big factor with the low data usage amount, and that is why I won't switch to AT&T or Verizon, along with AT&T not having any signal what-so-ever at our lake house. I hate Sprint with a burning passion now, it's like a "friendemy" relationship.

Highlighted
Journeyman

was online and found this...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254888/3g4g_performance_map_data_speeds_for_atandt_sprint_tmobile_and...

iCloud/iTunes match sucks on 3G Sprint wow!!!! my brothers AT&T iPhone 4S worked awesome!! just amazing

Highlighted
Journeyman

Listen you can file BBB and FCC complaints and , yes, with persistence you can get out of your contract.  However, here is the main thing most people don't know or are afraid to try. If you are having coverage and slow data issues in "most" places you go, you can simply call, cancel your contract and have your phone # ported over. What the 1-2nd level CSR's are trained to tell you when you bitch is that "we do not gurantee service...."- which is unfortunately true.  What you get with your contrat as a CONSUMER is..... NOTHING.

In about a month, Sprint financial will start bugging you via phone.  What you do is tell them "stop calling me or I will file a harrasment claim."  What will happen next is that a collection agency will bug you- do the same thing.  (NOTE:  For this to work you must first register with the Do Not Call database). If you recieve anything from a collecion agency in the mail, write "Return to Sender - moved to Machu Piccho (Yes, this has worked for me with other companies that have ripped me off- payPal anyone??)  The next step is to wait 1 quater and then get all 3 credit reports.  If you see anything from Sprint or a collection agency- "dispute the hell out of it and document the countless hrs you spent on the phone with Sprint.  Out of the 100 or so people i have helped do this (mainly ATT and T-Mobile though)  only a few of them gave in and paid the ETF.

I live in San Francisco and work in Silicon Valley and was recently at a "high-end" event with some Silly Valley big shots and when I was shmoozing and trying to show them things on my 5th galaxy  2S, they were all laughing at how terrible the signal and data speeds were.  This happened even as we went outside for a j.  I have spent about 20 hrs of my life working with the network team this past month, and now, Regulatory gave me a $25.00 credit today, which to me is unacceptable.  I did ecept it though, but as soon as I get my callback on Thur , if they will not workout a lower priced plan with me until the towers in SF and on the Peninsula are "fixed - apparently July, Septmber, then I will simply only pay wha I feel is right and get a pre-paid VZ phone to suppliment it.

The last "bottom line" is that every single major provider sucks in some ways and Sprint , at least, used to care about their customers and , to be honest, in a lot of cases, gave up too much. This is why they had to do some belt-tightening and therefore loose a lot o their longtime customers.  Like I told the woman in Reulatory today- even though i can get out of my contract without an ETF- I won't !  I just want Sprint to realize they have major issues all over the country and if hey wanna survive long enough to get their LTE network up, they better start paying attention.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had enough of the bad coverage today and finally made the call to customer service. I explained that not a day goes by when I get "no service", "extended...." or that small circle appearing in the signal strength indicator. Getting a 3G signal was a very rare exception. None of the apps that use data (all) work without sufficient coverage. The agent pulled some reports and retorted that my call quality was 100% and to no surprise, my data usage was roaming off-network more than they were on-network. In short, I was able to prove that my data coverage/usage was sub-par. During the call with the agent, it dropped - took a screenshot, posted on Facebook, lots of likes and comments ensued. Since I was new to Sprint (ported from AT&T last November), I had a very high early-termination fee for the 2 iPhones on the account ($680!). They explained I could terminate the contract with no fees if we returned the devices. I was more than happy to accept that offer. Within minutes, the return labels were in my email.

We're going back to AT&T. Unfortunately, we were grandfathered in to unlimited data before but that is no longer an option. My feeling is that would probably be going away anyway with the new iPhone coming on the upgraded network so no big loss. Would be great to talk/text/surf at the same time again. Not even sure why we switched - looked like a cheaper plan on Sprint, but you lose in the end.

By the way, the problems with data coverage we experienced are in both Los Angeles and San Francisco metro areas of which we frequent/commute to every week. I understand that all carriers have their shortfalls, but Sprint must get their act together as they have bigger problems than the others.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ RMMJ.. well put!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat