cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone heard of a law suit being started yet? I can't wait to get involved in that. I've spent all week answering calls from Sprint where in the end they tell me it's not them its me. It's my phone or where I'm traveling that's the cause of the slow data is what they keep telling me. How about own up to having the slowest network, stop charging me extra for "PREMIUM DATA". I hate to have an emotional response to something like this but when I drive by the Sprint store and I see sinage that says "UNLIMITED DATA, NO THROTTLING" I want to kindly remove the signs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus from Sprint,Iam never leaving Sprint these are 3g speeds waiting for LTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here you can clearly see what date I switched back to AT&T. Never will I use Sprint as a service provider again. They pulled their own reports following my complaint and validated that the data speeds I was getting in 2 major areas where they claim to have exceptional service (San Francisco and Los Angeles), was sub-par. That is why they let me out of our contract with no early termination fee ($680). By their own admission, their service is awful. On the other side, the AT&T agent who handled my transfer was more than happy to welcome us back and gave us a healthy 20% discount on our plan. They see a lot of this happening. I'm sure Verizon does as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Left Sprint for AT&T this past weekend after being a customer for 10 years. Data speeds on my iPhone were abyssmal (21662). I live in an all roaming area so was able to negotiate my way out of my contract and avoid early term fees but I have to send my iPhone back to Sprint to seal the deal. I paid $199 for it in October 2011 so essentailly since I'm put $199 then that's the cost of my early termination. Kinda sucks, but now that I'm on AT&T the iPhone is so much more useable.

Sprint's customer service has always been pleasant and helpful so I will miss that. I won't miss not getting calls, phone not ringing and going straight to VM, texts not sending or appearing hours after they were sent, only being able to DL apps on wifi, Youtube and Facebook not loading or timing out, Google Maps navigation being useless.......the list goes on and on.

The top  screenshot is from my AT&T phone and the bottom from the jailbroken Sprint phone.

Speed.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too live in the Metro DC area and have been complaining since I got an iPhone under Sprint this past October (I was previously with AT&T since day # 2 of the first generation iPhone and left them last October because they simply had poor phone service and dropped calls).

All Sprint does is put up "smoke screens" to delay the inevitable! There seems to be no recourse but to pay the early termination fee and go to a competitor! I am not even confident that they will timely acquire 4G by the time the next generation iPhone is released, Perhaps (and that's a big perhaps!) Sprint in not interested in upgrading the current 3G system in the greater Washington area, due to the pending 4G? Sprint seems to be banking on customers holding out because they have an unlimited plan? I should say not, because the extremely slow data speed is too frustrating and you will jump ship at the first sign of a new iPhone. I wrote an email to Mr. Hesse who passed it off to a member of his executive customer care staff; still more smoke screens... After Apple analyzed my iPhone as not having any issues at all, I made a proposal to Sprint that would have caused me to hold out until they got 4G in the area = they denied my proposal probably because they are not even confident that 4G will be in the area before years end! I started to say the h_ll with Sprint and activate my iPhone 4 (unlocked from AT&T), but Siri keeps me in my current dilemma. HOWEVER as soon as the next generation iPhone is released I will pay the early termination fee to Sprint and leave them forever, going to a competitor!

Every test site indicates that Sprint has the slowest data speed out of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint! I just did a test on Speedtest.net and the Sprint results are: Download - 0.19 Mbps; Upload - 0.03 Mbps.

Here are the results of the current Compare networks on iPhone:

AT&T = 1.91 Mbps

Verizon = 794 Kbps

Sprint = 398 Kbps

It's a sad state of affairs when you would yearn for even the Verizon data speed!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is terrible.

I have been told several times since I switched to sprint by a customer service rep that "OH! now I see. There is a tower out in your area and it will be fixed by the 15th."

It's always 4 days from the date that I call.

This is terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

I've done all of their trouble shooting, had apple look at the phone and still. It is so slower than a tmobile's edge on a stormy day. I am going to call every day from now on until I get my money back for the phone and out of my contract.

I live in Centerville, UT 84014 and from northern Utah to southern Utah. It is TERRIBLE.

IMG_0034.PNG

oh looky there. I managed to get a crazy upload speed of 0.37 upload.

Highlighted
Journeyman

also, on this screen shot, they DO mention they do NOT throttle the services and there is a picture of an iPhone...

Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 2.45.22 PM.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been getting this same problem in my area where I work or all around Los Angeles. I would get the "o" icon, of no connectivity and would shut the phone down completely, would get a 3g icon then it would go offline again.  Zip codes are 90232, 91411, 90035.  Thx.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lol i love how sprint doesnt even monitor their fucking board to help anything look at this shit , i think itll be worth it to have early termination fee with speeds like this been a semi decent 14yrs with sprint.IMG_0319.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

They offered to send me a free signal booster for my house to attach to my DSL......

Like I would use my phone at my house on the 3G service and not use wifi?  Why would I even use the web on the phone at home when I have a computer sitting here! I need it to work when I am AWAY from home Sprint!

Journeyman

Just switched to Sprint and was at first happy that my iPhone 4s was blazing fast in and around my apt on outskirts of Philadelphia, PA. Fast data, fast internet.

I quickly learned that wouldn't last. I went downtown in Philadelphia today (major metro area) and the data was so slow it was unusable practically. I was able to sporadically get some web browsing slowly loading but no Siri, data connection errors, apps not getting internet. What I did notice with speed test is that early in morning (between 4am-8am) the data speeds were acceptable above 1mbps up and down but after 8am forget it, unusuable downtown.

So I think the issue is not with the iphones, it's with Sprint's network and not being able to handle data loads in certain areas in peak times. My theory is that where my apt is there are a number of towers but lower number of phones around so better speeds. Downtown Philly during daytime all the workers and employees come into town with the phone and bog the network.

Sprint needs to get this resolved. You really don't need more than 0.50 mbps to get consistant data for Siri and such but 0.01 mbps is absolutely unacceptable even during periods of high loads.

Highlighted
Patron

It blows, downlaod speed in my house, downtown chicago .54 mbps, upload, this is cute  .01 mbps

second test .39 and .01...it just gets worse and worse

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat