cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

When i had my HTC EVO 4G and the  HTC EVO 3D my 3G speed was around 1.0 to  2.0mbps and my 4G speed was around 3.0 to 5.mbps but since i got the Iphone 4S I have  been getting dial-up internet speed... ( Download speed of 0.11mbps and upload speed of 0.01mbps. Anyone had the same problem?? beeing on a good coverage area with this crazy fast speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I defended Sprint months ago as the data wasn't ~that~ bad.  It's waaaaay upthread now.

But speeds in Chicago are horrific now.  I truly mean abysmal, and I defended Sprint well.  I think more people switched to Sprint and clogged the network or something.  But it's even worse than before.  Uploading anything to any app is near impossible, especially if you're in the Central Business District.  Sometimes I walk into buildings and the iPhone goes to "extended" and even off-network.

This network upgrade better come by Spring 2013, or I'm switching.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey everyone. I, too, am an unfortunate Sprint customer with an iPhone 4S who is basically unable to use 3G data service *at all* in my city, no matter what the time of day. It almost never works, and most of the time will not even run simple tasks like opening a map or streaming a song. Oftentimes when I run speed tests in "full coverage" areas of my city, it will not even ping, and when it does the speeds are often around 0.03Mbps or something ridiculous and unusable.

For months, Sprint has repeatedly given me the runaround on this issue claiming, like they have to many of you, that they are "working on it." In many cases for me, they have even had the audacity to deny that there is even a problem, and lied to me over the phone about it. And when I finally got into it with a senior rep on the phone recently, he told me that Sprint makes no guarantee in the contract that 3G has to work *at all*, even if you're paying for it! This is Sprint service for you.

I am fed up with this scam of a company, and I am currently working on putting together a lawsuit against Sprint for failing to meet its contractual obligations of providing even minimal 3G service (if 3G speeds are unattainable, which they are for me and many of you on a regular basis, then at the very least the 3G icon should not be illuminated on the screen, and yet it always is).

Sprint is lying to millions of its customers by pretending to offer 3G service that does not exist. It either does not have the capacity to offer 3G, it does not have enough data spectrum to consistently supply 3G, or its towers are faulty and the company is doing nothing to fix them. In whatever case, many of you, just like me, are being forced to pay premium data charges for this service that does not exist, and this is against the law, no matter what the company claims about what its contract says.

I am in the process of trying to find the right lawyer to determine how best to go about this lawsuit to ensure that every single one of us who has been paying for 3G service, and not receiving it, will be compensated, and let out of our contracts if we desire, *without* having to pay an ETF or return our phones to Sprint without compensation for them (this was one of the ridiculous options suggested to me by the senior rep who implied he would be doing me a favor by asking his superiors to let me out of my contract, only to have me return the phone I paid $300 for back to Sprint without compensation, which is basically like having to pay an ETF).

Every other wireless carrier in the U.S., as we all know, is providing their customers with adequate, and in many cases, exceptional and always reliable, 3G and 4G data speeds. Sprint is the *only* company that is not, and it is continuing to steal data charges from its customers.

If you would like to be kept in the loop about the impending lawsuit against Sprint, or if you would like to help in putting it together, please email me at sprintclassactionlawsuit@gmail.com.

Highlighted
Wizard

Alright. I'm done. DONE. I can't even get a 3G signal now! I always get that "o" symbol. Oh and the funny thing is when I try to do a Speedtest, it doesn't even work!:D how great. Also, Google doesn't even load! September 1st, I will be switching to Verizon and will be getting a 4G LTE phone and I will walk into the sprint store and make every employee watch as I get 30mbps download. Oh oh oh! I took my iPhone to the sprint store yesterday to complain. The funny thing is the guy said I was the FIRST one to complain! Really?! I doubt I was! He even suggested I take it to an apple store. I hate sprint. Never again will I even think of switching back to you. Never. Done. Can't wait for Verizon!(:

Highlighted
Journeyman

I find it amazing that this thread is now 175 pages long with no response from Sprint. In the media you see Sprint saying that either there are no speed issues, or that they are working on them. I think all of us should bombard media sites with links to this thread. Maybe Sprint will do something about it if its not just their customers that know they are getting screwed, but also potential future customers as well. Something needs to change. Later today I plan to write to several online tech media outlets and send links to this thread, it would be nice if others did, as well. We need to get this information out there so that there is no denying that Sprint sucks.

I am going to email PCWorld, TechHive, MacWorld, Android Authority and some others. I will probably go after more Android-centric websites because they love to pick up anything that makes Apple look bad, and most of us are using the iPhone, I believe.

Highlighted
Wizard

chicagoist Right now Sprint well Samsung is currently deploying it new Network Vision so by the end of this year Chicago should see improvement in data speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Absolutely, and they better.  A picture text is near impossible when it's lightning quick for my ATT/Verizon friends.  I already have ATT DSL so I'll be fine to switch back when my contract is up.

So these network improvements better happen by year's end, for sure.  And, hey Sprint -- I'm a landlord in Chicago, so if you need rooftop space for new towers in Chi, I'm happy to Lease roof space if it means we can get our darn data!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just switched from Sprint  to Verizon and could not be happier.  I find it funny that Sprint won't let me close out my account till the 23rd but any other company will let you do in store.  I owe them $400 in ETF and they would not take it.  The Sprint rep told me they don't do this anymore in store and asked who I went with.  I told him Verizon and he tried to act like that was a bad decision then I explained how I was able to actually have coverage and reliable data speeds.  Also, asked him why Sprint continues to lose 6 million in customer installed base when others have grown.  He did not have an answer and even got mad when one of his own employees agreed with what I said about coverage.  He's a current Verizon customer who is working for Sprint.  Wow, even the employees know who to go with.  After a 5yr customer with Sprint and all the headaches with their customer service, I was shocked at how well Verizon takes care of theirs.  Not one customer the hour I was there was irate like it usually is in a Sprint store.  As a matter of fact, there was a 30 minute wait to sign up because the store was packed to the front door, but when I got done and went to close with Sprint, there were 9 employees and no one in the parking lot or inside.  Now I know why.  My iphone 4s gets coverage and runs fast on my new network so I encourage anyone with issues against Sprint to try elsewhere.  It really is better with Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow! 175 pages of user complaints and here I was thinking I was doing something wrong 🙂

It's pretty clear now why Sprint raised ETF from $200 to $350 right before introducing the iPhone 4/s on its network last year. They knew very well that iPhone users would bombard their wimpy networks, find it utter useless and give up by the way of ETF. Shortsighted? I think so. Because once my contract is done I am done being a Sprint customer ... i.e. if the company can figure out how to last for that long.

Oh! and BTW ... they DO throttle. Each time I hit 1GB (for that month) the speeds go from unbearably slow to useless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off the phone with the "Support Engineer" (who was less useful than Support levels I and II). She said it was the faulty instrument and asked me to take it to Apple for testing. I asked her what happens if Apple found everything to be ok with it and she just mumbled "We'll take care of it at that time" ...  so why even send me to Apple and make me pay for "testing" the instrument?

ray-salas wrote:

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD CANCEL BEFORE THE 15 Days!!! Sprint data on IPHONE is Horrible!!!! Even though there is this BLOG they at customer Service do not acknoledge a Data Problem, I escalated all the way up to Operations Manager, his response was we do not gaurantee data speeds we see you have access to data so it is working there is nothing we can do.... If you do not like it cancel but you pay us a fee, or if you want to change to a different phone you pay FULL RETAIL Price.....

I say I run the speed test that your Tech told me to run and it reports slow Data.... Sprint responds well that test is not accurate......

sprint Tech Support says oh wow your data is slow, but our towers are fine it has to be a problem with your IPHONE take it to the apple store so they can diagnose. I take phone to Apple and all test come back good no issues with phone, apple says and documents it is a problem with the carried for Slow Data, I call Sprint back with Results and Manager tells me, Well apple does not work for Sprint to say it is an issue with our Network.... SO why did Sprint tell me to take Phone to APPLE!!!!!

VERY FRUSTRATING! I refer to this communitty page of thousands of customers complaining about the Speeds and showing results Sprint says well that is just your guys opinion that data is slow... it is a blog so the comments are not FACTS just opinions....

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!!!! But what can we do???!??!?!?!

I have been on the phone for months, and hours at a time escalating to different Managers and get no where SPRINT does not acknoledge there being a problem and are not willing to do anything to help with a solution!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been suffering this same problem since switching to sprint back in october when they first got the 4S. I live about 40 miles south of houston and always chalked it up to the fact maybe it was because I lived far away from the 3G towers. However,  even in traveling INTO Houston, I still get anywhere between 1-150kB/s with FULL bars. Nowhere near the advertised 3G speeds. Whats more interesting, is no matter if it shows the 3G symbol or the little circle data symbol (Edge), the speed is the same. This seems to me that we're really receiving edge speeds but our iphones are tricked into showing the 3G symbol, much like the ATT iphones show 4G symbol now when it's not really.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, has anyone succesfully found a way out of the contract without paying ETF?

Has anyone succesfully filed a complaint with the FCC and won?

Finally, Sprint told us that when the 4G LTE markets opened up, it would boost 3G speeds as well. Has anyone in the markets that opened up the 4G LTE noticed 3G speed improvements or is it too soon to tell? I wouldnt mind staying with sprint if the speeds really do speed up, just to keep the unlimited data. Otherwise I'm gone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I recorded this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjK7gbAPY1k&list=UUkZ2Kp2Ij712jC8crFB_C4w&index=1&feature=plcp

I test the sprint connection using the phones at the sprint store..

could not download the speedtest app because they were not my phones and the connection was too slow

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat