cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I had great throughput with my iPhone 4 when I started with Sprint at the beginning of this year.  Per Speednet, I had 1.42 Mbps.  However, since then, I haven't been able to get above .50 Mbps and lately, I'm always getting around .15 Mbps.  Is this Sprint's M.O. to get new customers....show them the good speeds in the beginning and then cut them off at the knees after the return period has expired?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issues with Iphone 4S 16GB anywhere I go(I live in Houston), I have run speedtest app from speedtest.net next to a sprint Android 3G phone and the difference was ridiculous I would get like 80Kbps and the Android will get 800Kbps, this has got to be an issue with the either the Iphone software (going through some extra layer of security blah blah) or simply a defect with the iphone Hardware. The phone is pretty useless outside of wifi. I am not sure if this is intentional from Sprint or not to Iphone users swampping their 'unlimited' data network or what. Siri and most internet based apps are very useless while on a '3G' network. This is what's advertised on sprint's Data speed compare and it is not fair that we are even paying for an extra '$10' for smartphone premium data plan, when we are getting less than modem speeds, we should not be having to pay extra for less that is just wrong. There is got to be something that can be done either on software or hardware, I am an engineer myself and aware of this type of limitations can be workaround. I moved to iphone for the 'advertised' features etc that rely on solid data internet usage and am very dissapointed. Please escalate this issue to the technical 'Gods' in sprint as high priority before Sprint looses customers or gets sued for false advertisement alltogether. -an unhappy customer (10+ yrs w/sprint).

sprint_dataspeed_compare.png

Journeyman

So this thread has been going since October of last year and after only 176 pages of trolling threads this problem is still just isolated instances.

I live in Dallas and switch over to Sprint because At&t was throttling my data. And it's all worth saving a couple bucks for relatively the same service, and here is why.

Sprint's service is considered to be one of the best.When I want to listen to some music on Pandora on the 3G I often get 1 second of music play followed by 30 seconds of silence; this is the newly found essence of listening to music, am I right?

Google Maps GPS? Who needs it? With Sprint we're bring back road maps from 1995 where the entire U.S. of Freaking A is displayed rather than a 1 inch by 1 inch screen view of your immediate location, also known as the land of gridlines on a light brown background or the middle of the ocean (yes, we all live in the future "Waterworld").

Youtube, netflix, any video footage you would like to see is now transformed into stand still pictures that you have the great priviledge of taking screen shots with your phone and print out a flip book. Sweetness ^ infinity.

When you have to pay bills don't fret, you constant tapping of the electronic submit button will ensure that you will get your bills paid for the current month AND the next 48 months. Say goodbye to your household pest named Late Charges, and say hello and make a bed for our greatest friend Overage Charges. Sprint's leading the way when it comes to sticking it to the banks.

Sprint should rename their company to Halt.

Journeyman

Ha! Halt ...Brilliant!!!

Journeyman

I just started service with Sprint and I am still with in my 14 days. I have the iPhone 4 and my connection speed is horrible and it seems as if it's getting even slower. It takes a couple of minutes just to load a standard HTML web page. Apps from the apple store take almost 30 minutes. I live less than five miles away from downtown cincinnati, so I am certain there are plenty of towers in my area. My wife has the same phone on AT&T. We have done several side by side tests and the difference is night and day. I called the sprint store where I started service and the only advise they could give me was switch to 4g.

Journeyman

As far as I am aware, the iPhone does not have 4g right now so you'd have to get a different phone. I've heard mixed things about the 4G though. Overall it sounds like sprint's data is struggling right now.

If it had been this bad when I signed up I would have cancelled for sure...

Now they trapped me into a contract that I cannot get out of with poor service... I'd even be glad to return the phone and everything but they won't give me that option. :/

Journeyman

This has to be a capacity/signal issue, like i mentioned before, because when i'm home with wifi turned off, yet connected on my sprint airave, i'm averaging 1.7~2 mb down and .5~.7 up, on my 4s. I really do hope network vision solves this issue in NYC, i use google maps alot and it's barely usable. In addition to better capacity with NV, with 4g turning on, and the LTE phones coming off the struggling 3g network, it should help us iphone users.

Journeyman

cancel while you can like I wish I did. Like we all wish we did. Thats how sprint operates, lures you in with unlimited data, tells you its a temp problem until youre out of your 14 day grace period, then bam. They got you for 24 months of anal rape with no lube. Quit while you can and give em the finger for all of us!!!

Journeyman

it is a capacity problem. sprint advertised unlimited data and successfully brought over million of customers, especially coupled with the iphone 4 and 4S. Their network simply couldnt handle it and now we're all paying for it. Idk if its throttled to make everyone equal or its simply just this slow because of everyone on the network. either way its not fair and sprint should let us go with no ETF.

Journeyman

I am considering cancelling. After posting on the forums last night I contacted Sprint customer service. Aside from their crappy internet speeds, I have to say their customer service reps are top notch. After troubleshooting and some tower updates they were able to up my speed at my house from .23mbps DL  .03mbps UL to roughly 1mbps DL and .5mbps UL ( It is still crawling compared to my wife's iphone on AT&T (even though they just told us they are throttling her data plan)) but it is somewhat bearable. The CSR said she would call my back today at 2pm. But after an hour or so she called me 3 times in a row within 5 minutes and left 3 almost identical voicemails. Which I kinda considered overkill. I am certain they had to have changed something internally on their end, which was seriously affecting internet speed. But now I am concerned that once my 14 day grace period expires in 2 days they will slow my speed back down. I am going to ask if they guarantee their speeds today when they call back, and also planing on stopping in Verizon on my lunch break.

Journeyman

So you're saying from her end, she did something while you were on the phone and it jumped from .23mbps to 1mbps. Or it took a while? If she did it instantly, then thats proof of throttling. She changed something on the computer on HER end to make YOUR end go faster. Now if it took a couple days, then maybe it really was a problem with the tower, but even then I still doubt it. I'd be willing to bet your speed drops again after your 14 day return period, just warning ya.

Journeyman

The difference in speed Was an almost instant difference. Not sure what all she did on her end. She had to call me on another phone and then she had me type in a code into my phone like I was placing a call. She said it was updating my tower information, and she could see on her end the progress of the update and when it was done and rebooting. I am afraid that you are correct and once my "grace period" has come to an end my speeds will get worse.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat