Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Good to hear it. Keep us updated on what happens. Also, I encourage everyone to download the FCC speedtest app (FREE in the appstore) instead of the Speedtest.net app and run it at different times of the day, especially when you have full bars. This way the FCC can see firsthand how crappy Sprints 3G speed is and how they're lying to us when they advertise their 3G speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Greetings!

FCC complaint is very helpful, but in the end, it will not improve your 3G data speeds.

Sprint will create an uncloseable executive trouble ticket, you will be contacted by Sprint executive and regulatory department. They will compel the top level techs to call you.

Lost of talking 0 resolutions. They are way more responsive than low and mid tier CSR's, but all in all have no firm dates for resolution.

I did get all of my premium data charges credited back to my account, 3 lines for 11 months, so 390 bucks.

Since the iPhone has been announced with an improved antenna design as well as 4G LTE capabilities, I asked for an early upgrade to see if it would help resolve my data speeds

Here in San Diego, they are starting the build out for network vision and LTE service, likely launching in February. I found this info after tons of research, since I was trying to be more informed than when I just blindly initiated Sprint service based only on the coverage maps they provide online. I was content to wait, as it seemed I was finally being taken care of. I was also of the notion there was no way Apple would be releasing flagship products on a carrier that did not have sufficient resources to provide at least minimum data required to operate properly, or the "vision" to accomplish this in a timely manner.

Surprisingly, I was refused the early upgrade and instead offered to cancel my contract early with no ETF fees. I could not believe they would rather cut me loose than offer an upgrade on one line. Started me thinking that they know there is no resolution in site, and they would rather "churn" (lose me as customer) than continue this any further. Perhaps a great way to kill a customer off that has a FCC complaint filed?

Started doing more research, and really got into some of the technical stuff. Looks like when Sprint was fumbling about with WinMax, AT&T and Verizon bought up the premium LTE frequency, 700mHz, with the best building penetration. They bought so much of this decommissioned TV frequency, that they have huge chucks of spectrum available in the frequency range to really get good LTE coverage. After the realization that WinMax was not going to be what Sprint had hoped, they were left scrambling for scraps.

Sprint is using their 1900mhz and 800mhz for LTE.

The way LTE is being deployed for Sprint is slightly different from the competitors. They are deploying LTE on each site, while Verizon and AT&T are deploying as needed (blanket approach).

Is your head hurting yet? Mine is still spinning 😉

That's just the tip of the iceberg, and it's very difficult to find really good reliable sources of info, this true 4G LTE is so new there is tons of misinfo out there...

In a nutshell, I'm no longer convinced Sprint is the best choice. The only things they really had was the cheaper service and Unlimited data plan. If you are not getting the speeds needed to use that plan it's hardly a carrot worth chasing...

I also started looking at other carries pricing, so was forced to look at my data usage Using tools on Sprint website, can see most ever used was 1.8GB of shared data. That was surprising. It was also the nail in the coffin. Why stay to save a few bucks for sub par service and to keep an unlimited plan I would likely never even really benefit from? I realized I was not using huge amounts of 3G data due to the speeds, it's because the times we are heavy users is when we are at home or office on WiFi.

I've decided it's time to bail out. I'll pay he extra 30 bucks a month for proper 4G LTE implementation to end the frustration I was having every time I did use Sprint's 3G data.

Oh, and I’ll be getting the early upgrade for the entire family. Sold my jail broken Sprint iPhones on eBay to cover the cost of fully subsidized (including all the seller, PayPal and shipping fees, with 60 bucks left over ) new iPhone 5's with another carrier.

So unless you are a true mobile data hog, I would recommend taking a serious look at a carrier that can provide properly implemented 4G LTE to you now instead of waiting for something that may never happen.

If you do plan on sticking around, at least you can inform yourself with some info that most of the Sprint employees don't have access to.:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

A very informative site that is run by some folks with a TON of knowledge in the Tel co industry. It has a wealth if info on Sprint’s network vision 4G LTE deployment. There is a member only section you can join with a small PayPal donation (I paid 5 bucks) that will give you actual dates and cities not currently announced by Sprint.

Hope this was helpful...

Good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

As the roar of complaints continues grown against sprint, there days are numbered. They will end up paying dearly for there practices, while there not contractually bound to provide us with any type of data service. They can't continue charging people full price for a sub standard service for excessive amount of time, for me my service has been getting worse and worse over nearly 2yrs now. And as the are working on improving there network, how many more years will it be before they have a network that can cope with its demands. I personally don't see any end in sight in my area, even though they have suppose have done many upgrades in my area and have more planned I haven't seen any improvements. But I can't see how they intend to improve the network when they have elimnated so many towers in my area. I guess its time to file another complaint with FCC so I can get another call from sprint to at least refund me my premium data charges or release me from my contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

nice banner btw

Highlighted
Journeyman

So just spoke with Tyrone H. from Sprint Executive offices, at [removed personal info].  And let me tell you, he is a true asshole.  Doesnt give a rats ass about how a customer feels about the service, instead simply said, "too bad, you had 14 days from when you got your phone to go to another company, your fucked now".....and "you can keep complaining to the FCC all you want, it doesn't matter, we'll close out all your complaints".  I asked to let me out of my contract, you can have the damn phone back for all I care.  he said no way no hell.

Sprint service and now their customer service sucks ass! 

Keep complainting people!

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is exactly how my FCC and BBB complaint ended. I discussed with each representative how the 14 day trial period does not accurately reflect their service. My service got significantly worse few months after that period. Their response was that as per our agreement the service and download speeds are not guaranteed. I then asked if they could allow me to roam on Verizon until upgrades and repairs are made. The reps always told me that this isn't possible since their agreements with Verizon are limited and allowing Sprint customers to roam would overload Verizon's network.

Here's what I made clear to Sprint:

- I will never renew or continue my service with Sprint.

- I will tell all of my friends, family, and strangers to stay away from Sprint.

- I will change my home WiFi name to indicate my feelings towards Sprint.

- In response to their recent promotional agreement with my employer, I will hit "reply all" and forward a link to this thread to all 2000 employees

I urge all of you to do the same. We can all agree that Sprint's days on the market are numbered. Go ahead and jailbreak your devices to force roam on Verizon. Play Netflix, YouTube, and whatever else even when you sleep, just to stick it to Sprint. I actually don't mind having unlimited Verizon data with 10x Sprint's speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

does anyone know if I can sell this Iphone 4s to someone out there if I leave Sprint early?  Would the buyer have issues setting it up at Sprint since it was mine?  just wondering,  Thinking of selling it and just going to ATT

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well put. I just had my post expressing my disgust for sprints service and the way to fix it deleted for the second time by a sprint moderator for offensive content. Really? I didn't cuss, say anything racist, or sexist. I just explained how we are contractually allowed unlimited roaming on verizon and we should be able to use it if Verizon gives us 10x the 3G speed of Sprint. Maybe sprint should have thought about that before they included unlimited roaming in there data plans...I'll split this post into 2 parts and hopefully only the second part (or neither) gets deleted...

Highlighted
Journeyman

guero81 - as long as your account is terminated in good graces (no ESN blocking due to unpaid ETF or account balance), it should have a clear ESN and should be able to be sold pretty easily on eBay, or I just used Facebook to sell my last one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me put it this way... if you want to hear a really super cool awesome blazing fast story about how fast your internet CAN be (not on a sprint phone of course)....

email me: jgwoody@gmail.com

Journeyman

Just Google "force roam verizon iphone" and you'll find all the instructions needed. I was actively seeking some sort of solution to my Sprint issue. Now I don't really care anymore. If Sprint will decide to change their contract because of roaming data then that change will give us a chance to legally leave Sprint without ETFs. It's obvious that Sprint's days on this market are numbered. With TMobile, ATT, and Verizon, even if Sprint is gone there is not enough market share for them to claim monopoly or whatever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

greg_ivq. I agree 110% If they legitimately cant even give us even SUBpar speeds due to network problems, then we should be allowed to go without an ETF. Not sure where the false advertisement line lies, but I'm sure they crossed it. While yes their days are numbered, since they cant fix my problem, I'd much rather not spend the rest of their days paying them to lie to me. If we can legally fix it ourselves by using their own contracts (unlimited roaming) against them just like they would use the contract against us a the drop of a hat, then why not? Eye for an eye. Give us slow useless unlimited data on the Sprint network, or fast unlimited roaming data on Verizon? It's a no brainer.

You can go ahead and delete this post too Sprint Forum Gestapo.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat