cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Exactly. Either let us out of our contract WITHOUT an ETF or give us an early upgrade to a 4G iPhone 5 if that will help the problem. Which brings me to my next question, is the 4G LTE on the Sprint iPhone 5 any faster??? I would love unlimited 4G LTE data and would stop complaining about Sprint if I could actually get the "premium" data I pay extra for. But knowing Sprint, their "4G LTE" is probably still not as fast as even our 3G should be....

Highlighted
Journeyman

From what I've heard, you can cancel your contract if Sprint changes ANY of the terms in their contract while you're in it. Also, you can be kicked off the network at Sprint's discretion for using over 300MB of your "Unlimited" roaming data in a month because when roaming, sprint has to pay the provider whom tower you roam on (usually verizon). A good way to literally make Sprint pay for screwing you

Highlighted
Journeyman

Be aware, that 4G LTE is different than the 4G that is available already. My brother upgraded to iPhone 5, but here in Portland there is no LTE, just 4G and 4G wi-max does not work on iPhone 5. You MUST be in an LTE market, otherwise you are stuck on 3G till it rolls out.

Highlighted
Wizard

Alex,

I can appreciate what you did.  We all do what we have to do to enjoy the things which we pay money for.  I wish that Sprint's service had served you better.  Maybe when your contract ends you will look at Sprint again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lol yeah luckily I live just south of Houston so I'm in an already active LTE area. I would be happy with anywhere from 6-10 mb/s. I realize thats nowhere near Verizon or ATT's 15-40 mb/s but for the price and the fact that its unlimited, I'd be willing to settle for that. I hate giving Sprint chance after chance but this is seriously their last chance...

Highlighted
Wizard

greg_ivq wrote:

I live near Chicago where the last upgrade caused a major drop in data speeds and more importantly a terrible voice service. Why should I wait for over a year to get crapped on again?

Once again, I urge all of you to leave Sprint!

greg_ivq the chicago area has been the market that has been affected the most with the current upgrade to Network Vision. You can read the problem in Chicago at http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-w... but yeah basically Samsung, Spint, and Ericsson have not yet found a solution that I know of. The problem is only temporary once the entire network is upgraded there would not be a problem (Chicago upgrade should be fishing by the end of this year http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-272-chicago-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/ note this is not official by Sprint). Lastly I do not know what happened in the last upgrade since that was (2004-2007) when Sprint was deploying EV-DO.

In order words if I were in chicago I would not switch to Sprint until upgrade are done and the network is working correctly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand the technical difficulties that come with such a big switch, however, should I sit quietly while my phone is unsuable? During the first big update, end of June or something like that, I noticed a drop from .25 kbps to .03 kbps. With that came a much worse voice service; static, dropped calls, or calls that would immediatelly go to my voice mail. My phone was a paper weight while my friends would try to call me from my parking lot. I once tried to download RunKeeper app before my run and it would download all until I would finish my jog. All things considered, their $25 credit for my two lines should be closer to $50 for me to really stick around. I do not care what happens to their network, I will not stay with Sprint.

And what are you sticking around for anyway? Did you not hear about Sprint putting some data limits on that fancy LTE?

Highlighted
Wizard

I understand your point and in some part of Miami data is also slow to .1 mbps so I can someone what relate. Yes it sucks that I can not use my unlimited data as fast as I want but I know that in Miami it only a matter of a few more month for that to change but I know that at least a fix is on the way. If you remember a few years back when the iphone got popular and it was only on ATT all you would see is people complaining about drop call, slow data, ect. on ATT network (Mainly in Mayor market New York, Los Angeles). You also had the media reporting it and the reason for that was att was at first not doing much about the problem. Once they announce that they were going to started investing in the network to fix the problem some stop complaining because they knew that a fix was on the way. I pretty sure most in this thread are still not surprise that the slowness in Sprint network has gotten to much attention in the media. I wonder why but the only logical conclusion is that it a know problem that has solution coming soon.

The only reason I am staying with Sprint is because I know what Network Vision is going to be and the potential it still has into the future. Once Sprint shut down the Nextel Network and start implementing CDMA and LTE in the 800 frequency coverage is going to get even better.

I have personally have not heard of data limit on on LTE. As a matter of fact last week was reported that Dan Hesse (Sprint CEO) did mention that he want to keep unlimited data for now but that price may increase once the LTE network is more wide spread.

From cnet.com: Hesse today said that unlimited data plans will remain a point of differentiation for Sprint.

"We have a competitive disadvantage in terms of LTE footprint," Hesse said. "You don't increase your price when you have a network footprint disadvantage. You want to wait and think of that until you get to that point."

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57516148-94/sprint-may-boost-plan-prices-when-lte-network-gets-stro...

Journeyman

I'm currious if anybody has tried to demand a free early upgrade to iPhone5 because the 3G on iPhone4s is crap? By free early upgrade I mean regular upgrade where you pay $200 for the device with 2 year contract extension.

If some one has, please share the experience.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually Sprint isn't getting that 800 LTE goodness. All the nice frequencies have been bought out by Verizon and ATT. You'll be waiting for 1900 LTE which doesn't penetrate buildings as well, and will never be as good as competitors.

Highlighted
Wizard

I never said Sprint was getting it they already have have some. That was one of the reason to shut down Nextel network since it in the 800 frequency see http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/fcc-clears-sprint-to-run-cdma-and-4g-lte-on-800mhz/ now I think but not sure that none of the phone currently would work with the LTE 800 frequency.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Enough of this mess! I have finally had enough of the constant smoke screens that Sprint has put up! I have given my notice to stop my service at the end of this billing cycle. I have been complaining since I got this iPhone (October 2011) and to no avail. If Sprint has mastered one thing, it is putting up smoke screens to avoid the reality that their infrastructure is not capable to give decent data speeds necessary and to hold on to customers, until they finally give up. I feel like I have been robbed for the past year, paying for data that was so dreadfully slow that it would often time out. I understand that Sprint paid an enormous amount to Apple to get their contract, but without the infrastructure, your "engineers" should have informed you that problems were looming for the anticipated customer base. Some of these bloggers that are sympathetic to Sprint and still hanging on, must not know the purpose of a smart phone; making calls is only half the ability. I have also told Sprint that when I pay my early termination fee ($240) that I want my iPhone unlocked immediately!  The one thing great I can say, is that the call quality has been exceptional and I can't remember having dropped calls, but like I said, that's only half the battle. For all of you that are frustrated, bite the bullet and pay that ETF and go with a provider that can give you the best of both worlds NOW; promises are idle, and if you can't experience what you need now, I have a bridge to sell you! I have told Dan Hesse that he is naive if he thinks that he can continue to hold on to his customer base with these idle notices of pending improvements. I would like to be optimistic and hope that in a year or so Sprint would get its act together and I would return, but there is a part of me that thinks Sprint will not be competitive with the competition in the arena of data in that time frame; and if they are, the pricing structure will change... Those of you that are not financially able to jump ship at this moment, keep each other entertained and vent with each other - hopefully that will keep your stress level down, because stress kills. I bid you farewell fellow bloggers!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat