Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I have an original EVO 4G. My data speeds used to be good pretty good actually. I used to get an average of 3-5mbps download on 3G!! Those were the good ol' days!! Now, my 3G data speeds are almost non-existant. I don't know what happened!! (actually I do, the iPhone effect ruined Sprint's network). I used to think that maybe my phone was broken and the internal antenna was screwed up or something from dropping the phone, then I read this webstie and saw that the lack of data speeds I am experiencing is not an isolated incident and many others are suffering from the same thing. I don't even attempt to use the Wimax 4G because it is an absolute joke, the speeds are pretty much just as bad, you rarely ever get a signal, and my battery dies in an hour. Thus I haven't turned on the 4G antenna in over a year. I tried it the other day and the 4G was still a joke. On 3G I get <0.1mbps. Yes, you read that correctly, LESS THAN POINT ONE mbps!!!! I usually get anywhere from 0.09 mbps to 0.52 mbps download, which is an absolute joke. My upload speeds are anywhere from 0.01 mpbs to 0.09 mbps, with ping being between 200 - 400. So what if I have unlimited data but can't use it. This is akin to having a car that gets unlimited MPG but only has a max speed of 5 mph!! AKA WHAT'S THE POINT IF YOU CAN'T USE IT!!?!? I have no other choice but to change carriers. I like having unlimited data with Sprint, but again what's it worth if it is so pathetically slow it can't be used? AT&T has a 3GB package and that should be enough for me, plus I can get a discount 23%. It won't be as much as my current 27% discount with Sprint but I really have no other choice because Sprint's data is absolutely worthless. The only thing it's good for is emails. Maps, facebook, youtube, and other general apps that use the internet take so long to load I just give up. What's the point of having a smartphone if I can't hardly use the damn thing? Sorry Sprint but I tried to stick up for you guys but your speeds are so god awful that I'm getting the hell out of here as fast as I can. I've had my EVO since July 2010 and qualified for a new phone on 3/1/2012, but I never upgraded (I'm glad I didn't) so when I leave I won't have to worry about an ETF. SO LONG SPRINT!

edit: I'm in the Chicago suburbs (Oak Brook, Forest Park, etc.) if anyone was wondering my location.

Highlighted
Wizard

3G networks are incapable of speeds from 3 to 5 Mbps. It's not possible (well, theoretically, 3 Mbps, but not in real life).  You either were on WiMAX 4G, WiFi, or you misinterpreted your results.

Sprint 3G varies by service area, coverage/signal strength, and time of day (loading).  Some areas are better than others.  If it's unacceptable in your area, of course it's best to just go elsewhere. No big deal, just get service elsewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely possible. I know the difference between WiFi and WiMAX. I remember when I lived in the Chicago suburb of Darien and Willowbrook driving down 83 doing speedtests and getting 3,000+ kbps while on 3G (was never on 4G out there because I couldn't get a 4G signal, plus it always killed the battery so I never used WiMAX no matter where I was). I remember another time showing my friend who was in the car with me who was blown away by it. This was BEFORE Sprint got the iPhone (2010).

Sprint 3G varies by service area, coverage/signal strength, and time of day (loading).  Some areas are better than others.  If it's unacceptable in your area, of course it's best to just go elsewhere. No big deal, just get service elsewhere.

Well, duh. That's common sense. What I'm saying is that the service in my area used to be awesome, and I loved Sprint. Then it seemed that after Sprint started selling iPhones left and right, the effect over flooded the network and really killed it. They couldn't handle all of the extra users. It's like a truck built to carry 800lbs of cargo and overoading it to 10,000lbs. Performance is going to suffer.

If you still get great service from Sprint, then awesome, good for you, stay with them. All I'm saying is I used to get great service too, but those days are long gone. It's as if my phone speed is some old EDGE phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

josh48315 wrote:

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely possible. I know the difference between WiFi and WiMAX. I remember when I lived in the Chicago suburb of Darien and Willowbrook driving down 83 doing speedtests and getting 3,000+ kbps while on 3G (was never on 4G out there because I couldn't get a 4G signal, plus it always killed the battery so I never used WiMAX no matter where I was). I remember another time showing my friend who was in the car with me who was blown away by it. This was BEFORE Sprint got the iPhone (2010).

Well, duh. That's common sense. What I'm saying is that the service in my area used to be awesome, and I loved Sprint. Then it seemed that after Sprint started selling iPhones left and right, the effect over flooded the network and really killed it. They couldn't handle all of the extra users. It's like a truck built to carry 800lbs of cargo and overoading it to 10,000lbs. Performance is going to suffer.

If you still get great service from Sprint, then awesome, good for you, stay with them. All I'm saying is I used to get great service too, but those days are long gone. It's as if my phone speed is some old EDGE phone.

Sprint CDMA network has a peak download of 3.1mbps it is impossible to get 4 or 5mbps while on Sprint CDMA network. This also includes Verizon 3g. Now Chicago is currently being upgraded to Network Vision so by the end of this year you should see improvement in voice and data speeds. (this is good news if your under contract if you are off contract is even better news since you can move to a different carrier if you choose too.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really wish I did not uninstall the Ookla Speed Test app that I used to use because I could show that I have gotten 3 mbps speeds. It is possible in the real world. Either way, the fact of the matter is that if I used to get sick speeds but for a long while now have been getting on average 0.3 mbps down (max was 0.52) and 0.05 mbps up on a 3G network, something is seriously wrong with that network. Those are absolutely awful, laughable data speeds. So unfortunately, I'm making a visit to the AT&T store this week. It's too bad because I actually really liked Sprint more than any of the other carriers, and I referred Sprint to a lot of friends and coworkers who ended up switching to Sprint (this was back in 2010 when I got my EVO, when speeds were awesome then) and they were happy too. However they've all left Sprint or are planning to leave as soon as their contract is up since the data service is pretty much non-existant now. I've waited long enough and haven't seen any improvements. I can only wait fo so long, so this time I'm out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What puzzles me that Sprint heavily advertises rapid move to 4g. But the bottleneck is not the fact that Sprint has no 4G. The reason of the slow speed is Sprint's inability to hand,e the number of phones they sold'. Switch to 4G is not going to solve the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Karbamba

Sprint is not just implementing 4G, Network Vision entails installing new equipment, including T1 and fiber optics to improve backhaul.

With the SoftBank and Clearwater acquisition deals in the past weeks puts Sprint in a position to be THE fastest carrier.

Verizon is using old legacy equipment and once they reach saturation on towers, will be where Sprint was a year ago....

Highlighted
Journeyman

To Karbamba... The bottom line isv, that what matters most is, what the speeds are NOW! Holding customers hostage without recourse is ludicrous and I hope that Sprint sinks to the bottom of the ocean, just like they have robbed their customers of data fees that are basically non usable. Predictions for the future does no one any good right now!

I just hope that SoftBank knows exactly what they have gotten into.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I always get great speeds with any phone . I am posting speed results I phone .

Journeyman

Ladies and gentlemen, Sprint has finally kicked me out!!! After about 8 and 6 months (two lines) I am being kicked out without early termination fees. Hahahaha THANK YOU SPRINT!!! THANK YOU!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do tell... How????

Highlighted
Journeyman

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I forced my iPhone to roam on Verizon. This obviously is very costly for Sprint and they eventually kick you out. It is stated in their contract that it is something they could do if you go over some amount of roaming data or minutes per month. This took several moths but the end result is so worth it, if you never want to go back to Sprint. Also, roaming on Verizon was sweet because of much faster speeds and great call quality.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat