cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

My 3G here is rarely good. I'm hoping it improves. Luckily the majority of my time is spent at home on wifi.

Journeyman

If you're like me and have been having terrible 3G speeds since you bought the iphone, but still like the idea of unlimited data, just buy a iphone 5 outright on craigslist for about 300 bucks and it will be worth it. Of course you need to verify with a friend that has sprint if you have LTE in your area or not though. Don't use the sprint coverage map, that thing lies big time. I live about 40 miles south of houston, which is an active LTE market. I average between 4-7 mb/s in my hometown, up to about 15-25 mb/s in a good strong signal area like Houston. Of course, like the 3G on my iphone  before it, it was really sporadic.  I came super close to just canceling sprint, because of the same terrible 3G speeds on my iPhone 4 and 4S. Unlimited is def worth it though. I think in the past year on my previous iPhones, I used no more than 300 mb of data per month. Within the first 2 days of having my 5, I used over 4GB. So keep that in mind, before you cancel. Def buy out of contract on something like ebay or craigslist, so you don't have to resign a contract though. As much as I'd love to have consistently higher speeds  and don't mind paying a little bit more for Verizon or ATT, I'm perfectly happy with 5 mb/s download if its unlimited. And hopefully it will just get faster and faster, and we will be grandfathered in like all the people who were for ATT and Verizon a while back. Just my 2 cents.

Journeyman

like most users on this post, ever since our family bought the iPhone, we've experienced same slow and crappy services.

after 18 months, last Saturday, Sprint in our area couldn't even get on, We've used "Extended 3G" almost whole day.

but surprisely, Sunday morning, the network speed improved, and more surprise, with speedtest app, it clocked to 2.3 / 0.7 Mbps (I havn't seen that kind speed for a long time.)

and for last 2 days, the speed average around 800 kbps (which is much better and good enough to us, compare to 20 kbps or even slower number)

I don't know if everyone has same kind of patient as I'm, but if Sprint doesn't speed up their network improvement (or DOJ doesn't allow SB finalize the accquire) , Sprint will lost more customers ......

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/485666745.png

Journeyman

3G speed in Richmond is laughable at best. When are we getting 4G?

Journeyman

come on sprint how can we take advantage of your unlimited data plan when there's barely any bandwidth in my area. (Tribeca, NY) when is LTE coming?

Journeyman

I've been complaining to Sprint every month for the last 10 months.  Not getting anywhere I filed a complaint with the FCC.  Now I have Sprint "Executive Account" services calling me because they want to resolve the issue.  Subscribed to a new carrier.  Same iPhone 4S, same locations.  New carrier is consistently at 200Kbps while the Sprint phone next to it is 7.9Kbps.  All I want is out of my contract without the ETF.

If it wasn't for the B.S. $10 fee per month for "Premium Data" I might not have been as vocal but since the fee is to cover smart phones using higher amounts of data even though the data isn't accessible, it's a load of crap.

Journeyman

You are the man!!!!!! I am close to breaking my contract because of all of this. let me know if they let you off the ETF. good luck.

Journeyman

My wife is still on Sprint but I have finally had enough of the slow speeds. Switched to ATT and canceled all my Sprint lines. 2 Phones and a Hotspot and paid all the ETF's. Did the math and what is the sense,canceled and figured I would save in the long term. Was given the same change is coming sale pitch but when. I have been paying the $10 premium data since the release of the HTC EVO 4g and have been through 3 phones and a hotspot with very limited 3g let alone 4g which now not one of my devices will enjoy they are Wimax. Why the heck would I upgrade to an LTE device when it is not offered near my area and no promise of when would just be more of the same. Also after realizing I was done the rep after his sales pitch became rude and acted like I was wasting his time after he started the sales pitch not me.

Journeyman

after going through the forum and chatting with other folks you made the right the choice to switch over. I doubt Sprint will be able to resolve their infrastructure issues anytime soon. if their bandwidth was as good at ATT or VZ we all prob end up losing our "unlimited data plans" and continue to get charged $10 for premium data lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

do you mind sharing which carrier allows you to port/use the sprint iPhone 4S?

The phone is great and it's like car with a great engine, but with hardly any tires lol

Journeyman

MALANIS21 Ting I believe will let you port your Sprint phone but they use Sprint towers so reception will not be better but they are cheaper. Ting.com

Journeyman

This is what I've been getting in the Tallahassee Area on my iPhone 4S. I usually have to use Wi-Fi in order to watch a measley 30-sec video on youtube.

I've called Sprint several times and gotten a, "we're upgrading towers in your area, sorry!" general response. This sucks, I can't do anything with it like this. Half of the time, even with 5 bars iMessage refuses to send because of lack of service, and I can't load an app because it says poor internet connection. WTF? Sprint needs to fix this issue. I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years and even stuck up for them at first, but this is ridiculous!photo.PNG

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat