cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Worth the switch from AT&T for me as well. AT&T was terrible to me and I havent had any dropped calls on sprint whereas on AT&T it was a daily occurrence.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

lol, i suppose mine is faster than too... I went from .01 to .05....   there is a reason why "peak times" are peak times... its because I want to use it during my lunch break...  what is the point of having fast speeds between midnight at 2am... not that usefull if you ask me...   and I cant even load my fantasy football stats, let alone stream anything...

the average is supposed to be .6 - 1.1.  not .2ish... 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Considering I have an iPhone, I use it MORE for data than calling, I'd gladly trade the call quality for ATT's data network, hands down. specially on the iPhone since it supports HSPA+, offered by ATT... which is kinda like a 3.5G network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Verizon's national average is 700kbps(.7mbps), so this isn't out of line.  CDMA on Sprint and Verizon isn't scalable like AT&T's 3G.  CDMA is stuck at Rev. A, which in realistic scenarios peaks out at 1.5 - 2mbps maximum.  Meanwhile, AT&T has implemented HSPA and HSPA+ which is what gives you those 3mbps+ speeds.  Here in the Des Moines, IA area I get around .8mbps during the day and up to 1.5mbps at night on Sprint.

From my experience, it's only certain large cities and rural areas that Sprint speeds are slow.  Certain cities are too congested and some rural areas only have 1X(despite the fact that Android and iOS always report 3G). 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I honestly wished all carriers would've used GSM from the start, but I guess only the rest of the world got that one right, lol.  The main CDMA advantage is call quality isn't affected by data usage because they use a separate voice and data channel.  GSM carriers on the other hand, drop calls and quality declines with higher data usage.

I guess if you have the abysmal speeds, you should probably switch.  If your speeds are fast like mine, then the value of Sprint shines(I'm paying $47 per user on a 5 person unlimited plan and discount through my employer).

Highlighted
Wizard

I want to everyone know that you find out the status of upgrades to the network in your area at sprint.com/network. Here you will see all the upgrades made to the network in your area in the last six months; in addition you will also see the upgrades we intend to make to your network over the next six months. If you live in an area where there is much happening to your network, we try to keep the network online during all upgrades, but sometimes we need to take a tower or two down during this process for a few hours.

If you are looking for some troubleshooting strategies please see my other post at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/371530#371530 . Look for Post #217.

Highlighted
Journeyman

be warned everyone, if you say you are unhappy with the slow network speeds, sprint will just delete your posts... I mentioned I had buyer's remorse and poof, my post is gone.

Highlighted
Master

Yes, we do reject posts based on the Community Guidelines. The thread which was rejected was started by someone who had previously been banned. Therefore the whole thread was rejected.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there anywhere that I can report a tower to? Because the towers by my house and by my school are both averaging .02 speeds, spiked up a bit and was .3ish for a day, this happens on any phone as well iPhone or android.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Report a tower to sprint that is. Sorry cat edit posts on iPhone or I would have done that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Funny story the main tower I am having trouble with had a data speed upgrade within the last 6 months and still averages .01mbps. Any way to report or something? I am not mad I just want it fixed I know it's not your fault but I want at least .6mbps and would like 1+

Highlighted
Master

The best way to get a report in through an agent is on the Network and Coverage forum.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat