Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I just got a new iPhone 4S from the Apple Store after I had an issue with the lock button not working. With my old phone, I would consistently get ~0.5 Mbps, but with the new phone I've seen up to 1.93 Mbps. Not great, but I do seem to be seeing improvements. We'll see if it stays like that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow! So this seems to suggest there is an issue with the phone's radio potentially... Curious if your speed tests were done in the same location where you were getting the slow speeds?

Also what is your modem firmware and PRL show in settings > general > about

Mine is PRL 51086 and modem firmware 2.0.10

(to see PRL, in the about menu you have to tap "Carrier")

Ben

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, same location, at my house in a residential area of Minneapolis.

PRL on my phone is 51087, but same modem firmware 2.0.10

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is nothing wrong with the phone. This is purely a network issue. I made a road trip to Kansas City from Milwaukee over the weekend and found that performance, although still not great was far better in KC than Milwaukee, which I would expect seeing they are based near there in Overland Park, Kansas.I also found a couple of faster speeds in Iowa in the middle of no where - imagine that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree my data speed are way to slow... I can hardly use the phone unless i am wifi. Thanks Sprint!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i just did ##UPDATE# on my iphone and the PRL changed from 51086 to 51087 im going to go outside and test my speed...

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok so my tests are showing a slight improvement from what they were previously. My average download was around 257Kbps but these initial tests are showing closer to 400Kbps. I wouldnt call it a success until my average download speed is above 1Mbps.

-EMOEBY1, is your new iphone on IOS 5.1 or the new 5.1.1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

-xxben007-iPhone4s, iOS5.1, haven't had a chance to update it yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

thanks for the update. let us know in a week if you have the same data speeds. i still cant get over the fact that testing 2 sprint phones side x side produces completely different results when on 3g. iphone in the left android in the right and the iphone is 10x slower. the network is obviously slow but the radio in this iphone must also be faulty. I have apple care so maybe its time to visit apple. ill tweet my RootMetrics on #NowSlowNetwork, pass it along...

clearly false advertisement:

mysprint.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes yes YES!! I did the update to iOS5.1.1 this morning, and can now successfully stream video from YouTube! For the first time. At least I can on the Sprint network.. Still can't on wifi. But at least this is a giant move in the right direction. THANK YOU (to Apple).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad that worked for you, didnt do jack for me. For some reason a couple days ago i got 500kbps at the same spot i usually get 50kbps, that happened for about three speed tests, then back to normal. I am going to take my phone in to sprint, maybe swap it out. Try to make it cost Sprint as much money as possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My connection speed in downtown Chicago Friday mid-day is unbeleivably bad ... boo Sprint.  you miseld me with your advertising.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8fd9279cc8&view=att&th=1373d3a357a73084&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-I92tRDrBiyzmvdzA0a2xs&sadet=1336768691926&sads=9V67xAhX97viUDwKzeEqEWe7Gi8&sadssc=1

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat