cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Wizard

Ajaxx1 wrote:

does anyone know if sprint plans to fix the slow 3g speeds on the iphone 4s this is crazy

bkw918 wrote:

I would think they would.  Why wouldn't they?

They are its called Network Vision and it will cost 10 billion dollars in the next to year. All the information is at http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/10/07/sprint-accelerat...

Journeyman

I knew this would be an issue even though any Sprint rep we talk to would say otherwise even one of the VPs!  Even with existing Sprint user load from sales of the Android based phones with our current data load issues on 3G and 4G.  I knew it would not get any better with the +thousands of new iPhone users to add to the current bandwidth.

Come back in 2 years and try again?

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

@LaurentD - That's really uncalled for, to call people suckers. There's no need to be insulting or to talk down to anyone.

To be completely honest in the almost 12 years I've been with Sprint I never once checked my speed. Since getting my first Android (Hero in '08) phone 3G service has been decent. When I got my EVO 4G it's been fine. And now my iPhone is fine too. First of all like I already said I don't constantly check how fast or slow my 3G connection is. To me the important thing is my user experience and thus far it's been fine.

I generally view sites that are mobile optimized and for the most part I actually use apps if available rather than the browser (Like for news as an example). I think it's very easy to get caught up in the numbers and specs and all that stuff. I almost got caught up too after reading this post. I decided to check my speed and it didn't look great. So I started testing my wife's EVO 4G vs my iPhone back and forth and so on. Sometimes the EVO loaded faster and sometimes the iPhone loaded faster. I did notice if I had both phones side by side loading times ere slower for both. So then I started taking them outside one at a time and on my third time going out I stopped and realized what I was doing. Like I said before, I was okay with the speeds I was getting. I have no idea what they were but if I went to msn.com, nfl.com, mlb.com or yahoo.com they all loaded fast. All the sites loaded within a few seconds and were navigable almost immediately.

I don't doubt for a second that some of you are having issues and are very dissatisfied. If you came over from AT&T I would blame you for wanting to go back if your service happens to be in one of the good areas. Quite frankly I've read about and heard first hand about horror stories about AT&T's service and I for one would never switch. Compared to what I've heard Sprint sounded much better. However, Spring probably is busting at the seams with the amount of data being transferred since Friday but I've seen enough to know that they will work on it and will make it better.

The other thing I think a lot of people have to consider is, why did you buy an iPhone? If you bought it to specifically surf the web using a desktop mode then perhaps you made a mistake. If you on the other hand like me bought it for the Apple ecosystem, the incredibly good apps, the camera, 1080p video, having the ability to be truly productive like for example being able to create a quick wireframe or a last minute presentation with Keynote or any number of other productivity abilities then you bought the right phone. If you bought it for the solid operating system that won’t reboot on you like my EVO did on me a number of times at the worst possible times, then you have to take that into consideration too.

I guess what I’m saying is you have to look at the whole package. Is the rest of the good stuff worth being patient and dealing with a possibly slower data connection for a little while? We are on the verge of Spring beginning LTE implementation next year. They say by mid year LTE will start being deployed and finished by the same time 2013. I for one, a long time customer, am willing to wait one more year and one more version of the iPhone. I bought mine full price as I wasn’t eligible for an upgrade yet. It would be just as easy for me to quit Sprint and move to Verizon for approximately the same amount of money. But I’m going to stick it out for another year or so. Can you do the same thing and does it make sense for you?

It’s easy to get caught up in knee jerk reactions and see nothing but negative things. You have 2 full weeks to bring it back if you so decide. So take those 2 weeks and if you’re really dissatisfied and none of the other things I mentioned mean anything to you, just bring it back.

Good luck to all and I hope all you end up enjoying whatever device you end up with

Journeyman

Hey guys, I called sprint last night and they had me do a quick update and it seemed to help, but i'm still not crazy with the speeds i'm getting.

Photo Oct 16, 3 28 56 PM.png
dial ##873283#  press CALL and follow the prompts, a restart wouldn't hurt anything either.

The sprint person also admitted (after serious honey badgering) that the network was not handling all the new activations well and they were also experiencing problems with delayed texts and voicemail delivery.

She also said average speeds on 3G are 700-1200 kbps down and about 500 kbps up. (i'm pretty sure, in that ballpark anyway) //_

also if you want to return the phone don't wait until the 28th, I was told my 14 days started on the 10th when I ordered the phone. I would be livid if they caught me on that one. I'm hoping data speeds will improve once the initial wave of activations are finished.

Journeyman

Not to play devil's advocate, but I just transfered to Sprint from T-Mobile. I had flex-pay account with T-Mobile and I used an unlocked iPhone 3G. The area I live in has terrible speed. T-Mobile never updated the tower from GPRS to EDGE. It was ridiculous. Almost unusable for browsing.

I am extremely grateful to transfer to Sprint and keep my same number and for the ease of everything. I also hear that Sprint offers a 10% discount on the monthly bill for AAA members!! That's excellent. Anyway, I thought I'd post my speed test results for the 3G in my area (rural Oklahoma near Stillwater). Not too bad... compared to the slow T-Mobile speeds.

IMG_0064.PNG

Journeyman

well i guess im not the only one with the slow iphone 4s data problem. i just transfer from tmobile thinking that sprint's unlimited 3g would be an advantage. it was either at&t or sprint and sprints unlimted data was what got me. i am sad to say that i made a very bad decision. not only do i get 2 bars around my area (which according to sprints map, i should b recieving the best service) i also get rediculios slow data speed. im coming from an iphone 4 on tmobile and the unlimted 2g service was averaging 0.13 mbps, i actully get slower than 0.13 mbps couple of times smh. on adverage, my sprint data speed (download speed according to the speedtest app) gets about 0.23 mbps. i am very disapported from the false map coverage that sprint put up online, i did my reserch before switching and i am suppose to be recieving the best service here. i called in and customer service told me the same thing, within the first 14 days you are allow to cancel your 2 year agreement contract and not pay any restocking fees. ima go 2 more days and c if this issue gets fix.. still can't believe sprints 3g is like the same speed as tmobiles 2g..

EDIT: im located in nyc in queens area btw..

Journeyman

Just ran it here in San Diego. Ping of 73 ms. .76 up and .3 down on a Sunday afternoon

Journeyman

Just called sprint and they are aware of the problem just like AT&T and Verizion they just underestimated the demand.  They'll have to step up their plans for upgrading backhaul.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=213050

/b

Journeyman

I am all for limited data deals. I prefer paying less for 2gb data amount if speeds would be much higher. I know that so many bums abusing "unlimited data" for tethering, nonstop youtubing etc. Sprint definitely needs to fix 3g issues asap if they really want to stay in this business.

Journeyman

Past 3 days, I have been getting less than 200 kpbs @ my home & nearby places. If there is no improvment in the speed at least to 600-750 kpbs, my 2 iPhones are going back to the store.

Journeyman

Guys I am pretty sure I have found the solution.  At least worked for me when none of the previous suggestions worked.

Dial ##UPDATE# and then call it.  It will update the phone.  Once complete restart the phone.  This fixed my 3G connection and Visual Voicemail issues.

Good Luck!!

Journeyman

Ignore my previous numbers. Didn't realize at the time I was testing the wifi at my work not the network

Network test numbers:

Ping 248 ms. .42 up and .31 down. Way better than the wifi at work

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat