Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Journeyman

Heres something interesting, at night before I went to bed I was getting dismal speeds, web surfing youtube was horrible.  i was getting between 0.01 Mbps and 0.26 Mbps. Wifes 4s was doing the same.  Checked PRL its 51082. Did the update.. no noticeable change in speeds. tested a few times.  Woke up around 430 am -5: 30 am. did the test for the heck of it. .. speeds were super fast.  Attached are the screen shots. IN Buffalo NY 14218.

This tells me either

1. Definately not an Apple or hardware issue

2. Sprint could be throttling data (least likely)

3. Sprint network cant handle the iphone right now (too much users etc. ) if this i dont see a "fix" anytime soon

photo-1.PNG

photo.PNG

Journeyman

you tested it at peak times, and off peak times (early morning)

Journeyman

this morning, 468 kbps up, 514 kbps down, ping 138 @ 4:59 am.  Not as good as yesterday morning.

Journeyman

Can someone remind me how to check my PRL so I can let others in Houston know for comparison?

Journeyman

go to settings> general> about> scroll down to carrier and tap on that line once for PRL.

Anyone else notice after doing the apple 5.0.1 update to their phone that now the carrier is Sprint 11.3 instead of 11.1?

My PRL number stayed the same at 51082. I'm in jax, fl  32225 zip

Journeyman

My PRL number is the exact same, 51082, here in Houston and the carrier is 11.3

Journeyman

I purchased my iPhone 4s on Nov 9th in Fargo, ND.  The speeds that day were horrible.  I was averaging .03 Mbps on speedtest. The next day iOS 5.0.1 came out and speeds did not improve. I was considering returning the phone on Friday.  However, when I woke up on Nov 11th, the speeds were way up!  Since 11/11/11, in the Fargo area, I've been getting between 1.2 and 1.9 Mbps consistently.  Something good happened.  I hope it rolls out to the rest of you because this phone is incredible.  I gave my Evo, which now seems like a toy, to my son.  I finally have the phone I've been waiting since January of 2007 for.

Carrier: Sprint 11.3    PRL  51082

Journeyman

Purchased two iphone 4s's on the 10th (Bay Area-CA).  Both are getting really slow data speeds.  Tested both Cisco and Speedtest apps.  Average 27-30kbps.   Siri most of the time does not work or is really slow.   Contacted Sprint and was told the same as others (we are aware of the problem and dont have a fix at this time).  Well at least I gave it a try.  I will be returning these two and trading them in for another carrier.  BYEBYE Sprint wish it would of worked out between us.

Journeyman

First of all, I love Sprint and the iPhone 4s!

I am having issues with the slowness of 3G however. I would be very willing to help troubleshoot the issue if Sprint/Apple would like to use me.

My co-worker is also on Sprint, and has an Android device (non-4G), we both downloaded speedtest.net, selected the same server (Madison, WI) and ran the test being at the same desk in the office.

My results: Ping: 125ms, Download 4.2kB/s, Upload 22.6kB/s

Her results: Ping: 211ms, Download 48kB/s, Upload 118kB/s

Journeyman

My new iPhone 4s is awesome and I love it! However, I am not sure my 3G speeds are up to par. I live and work in Alexandria VA 22311 (metro DC area) and my speeds today via Speedtest are .35 Mbps download, and .34 Mbps upload. Is this within the norm? It's certainly faster than my Blackberry Style was, but it's not speedy by any means. Not sure whether this is considered adequate, can't tell from this thread.

Journeyman

@rockislandline That is the unacceptable norm for now until Sprint fixes it. Below are my tests from inside the DC beltway and they have been meager. I hit 1.41 right after I installed the 5.0.1 update but as you can see that must have been at an off-peak time since it didn't last. Not what one should expect for dishing out hundreds of dollars on a cutting-edge smart phone with additional premium data fees on "America's most dependable 3G network". The phone is great otherwise; I guess we continue to apply pressure until Sprint/Apple figures it out.

photo.PNG

Journeyman

I live in Westminster, MD (21158). I am getting 0.71 down/0.25 up on my iPhone 4S.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat