cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm using my3Gspeed.com with my fastest speed at home being

0.49 mbps [488 kbps | 61 kBps

Here ya go. Should we all decide which scale to start shouting out speed tests at?

Our friend there in KS seems to be on 3G crack. Maybe I should move there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

keep in mind, for those of you who dont like speed test or what ever...

it is the only comparable thing across the board that WE ALL CAN USE....

in fact did you read the article i posted???  it shows the sprint techs use it as well...

there are other varibles but, its the only thing that is the same that we can compare

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's pretty fast! Almost as fast as my shitty wifi. This is Sprint 3G? Do you turn off your wifi? Are you sure? Sounds like your 3G is on crack!

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok so i am an idiot...how do i capture my screen shoot and post the pic??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just curious about users that have performed side by side tests with an android and 4S at the same time and noted very different results?

The consensus seems to be that yes, Sprint is (and has been, noted by long time Sprint customers) slower than the other networks, especially now with the huge influx of new customers with the release of the new iPhone.

Many 4S users however, are seeing subpar performance, even by Sprint standards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah definitely not on wifi.  Most of the time I'm getting 1.2 Mbps.  The 2.1 Mbps result was this morning at 11 am when most people are asleep or at church.  I am 100% satisfied with Sprint.  During activation the person on the phone was very helpful and during ordering the person was helpful and nice as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My friend at work has a galaxy s and I dusted him.  When he switched to 4g it was in his favor of course.  The iPhone runs pretty fast.

Highlighted
Wizard

Screen shot 2011-11-20 at 10.49.51 PM.png

Just so you know, the iPhone User Guide comes loaded on your phone and you can search any topic or term by keyword (e.g., screenshot).

Highlighted
Journeyman

thats nice...but i dont have the iphone lol...

android RULES!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/floorguy/20111120220409.png>

you can see my wifi one, and then the other 3g ones...

to take an apple saying...

I got an App for that  lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

look at this bunch.....see the bottom number.....that was in a rural area..   the others, where you usually need your data services...and its not the bigggest area either

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/floorguy/20111120221130.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was actually starting to question the validity of the speedtest.net results that I have seen on my 4S. At times I was seeing results as low as 200 bps and highs up to almost 2000 bps.

Odd thing is, for me, speeds have not really have had any bearing on my actual usage.

My 64GB iPhone 4S has done everything I have asked it to for the most part in the past 5 weeks since launch. I have WiFi @ home, and was most concerned about what kind of performance I would experience at work, where I usually could not even surf the web on tmobile with my old jailbroken/unlocked 3GS unless I was in just the right area. My fastest 4S 3G data speed recorded so far in the 1900's was at my work location.

Because of these huge differences I was seeing in testing, but no real actual usage problems, I was starting to question the accuracy of the speedtest.net app.

I finally DL'd a Cisco based test from the app store, and it seems to validate the speedtest.net results.

Just throwing it out there for any one else that may have been wondering about speedtest.net accuracy as I was....

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat