Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Wizard

jonlever wrote:

You will need to go to at&t to get above 2Mbps I guess

If you know the difference between CDMA (Sprint, Verizon uses), HSPA+ (ATT. tmobile)  is not a I guess it a fact. That is one of the reason why Verizon and Sprint are moving quickly into 4g with national coverage . While Ma Bell I mean Att has 15 markets with 4g lte .

Journeyman

I attempted to start a thread asking for location, speed, and device being used in efforts to find out where the 3G is very slow at.  It was deleted and my account was banned.  I gave up trying to do something like that as I am tired of making usernames.

Maybe you can attempt this thread with better luck.

San Antonio Tx. 

HTC Hero

Samsung Epic 4G

Samsung Epic Touch

Iphone 4S

HTC Evo 3D

Samsung Moment

All receiving 100kbps to 300kbps with an occasional spike to almost 1Mbps and as slow as 5kbps.

I checked the sprint tower upgrade site.  It shows that there has been 10 speed upgrades in my area with none scheduled anytime soon.  I made the financial decision that it will probably be cheaper for me to switch my service than for me to sell my house and move and find a different job.  To each his own though

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Well i have an Air rave in my house just so we can use our phones. When i walk to the corner  i have no bars. Takes 5 min to open cnn or any website.  It has been like this in erie pa long before the iphone.  Phone calls are fine as you get closer to city center but 3g data is  very bad. We have no 4g. Im 17 months into contract and cant wait to drop them.

Journeyman

Unfortunately, you completely miss the point.  I have an Android.  I think the iPhone is a good phone as well. I really don't care which phone type you have, as the phone isn't the problem.  They both have data speed problems in the Chicago downtown area making them equally unusuable.  It's not a question of a little slower.  My download speeds are less than 75kbps on a weekday and I constantly show 1x on singnal. My upload speeds are even more abysmal. As far as additional research, read the 125 pages of speed complaints and the numerous threads on the topic.  As far as personal research, I have done mine on several different handsets.

The point is that Sprints 3g network isn't robust enough for the data demands the influx of the new iPhones. My phones had worked perfectly in the past. Sprint is the problem right now.  And telling me to be happy and wait for the new wonderful things Sprint will do in the future really doesn't change those facts.

Journeyman

My wife and I just got iPhones on sprint... She's allways trying to update facebook and pinterest and getting frustrated and asking me why here phone is broken... I'm getting tired of explaining to her everywhere we go that "we just don't get service here I guess". How is it possible that we don't get good service anywhere??

Journeyman

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/03/inside_iphone_4s_us_mobile_data_att_vs_sprint_vs_veriz...

"And then there's Sprint. As the newest iPhone carrier in the US, Sprint is also the last to still offer an unlimited data contract. The problem, at least right now, is that Sprint's data service is so bad it's unlikely you could ever get your money's worth of data using a Sprint iPhone. While neither Sprint nor Apple have really addressed the issue directly, there seems to be something tragically wrong with how the iPhone works on Sprint's network. If it's not something unique to Sprint, it would be hard to imagine how Sprint has remained in business this long.

We briefly compared Sprint's iPhone service to an Android HTC EVO 4G phone, and found better data throughput on the EVO in the same location, even when confined to working on the 3G network. Sprint has been selling the EVO for much longer, so it appears to have worked out more kinks that have not yet been resolved for the new iPhone. Until Sprint solves its iPhone service issues, it would be frustrating to try to use Sprint as an iPhone service provider.

Sprint served the slowest data by far, and we found "no service" problems more often on Sprint's network than AT&T. Even at times when the Sprint iPhone was able to complete a data test, it often wouldn't work well enough to bring up a map, check email, or respond to Siri requests. Given how frustratingly bad Sprint's 3G network was in practice, it seems very likely that there must be a fix in the works to solve the iPhone's terrible performance on its new carrier. That wouldn't be unprecedented, as Apple has consistently released updates that have aimed at improving how well the device works on specific carriers.

At this time however, it's extremely hard to recommend the Sprint iPhone, unless the problems we saw were unique only to San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Reno, Nevada, and various points in between. Judging from online service complaints, it appears Sprint's network needs additional work to properly support the iPhone. "

Yup, pretty much the same experience here in Troy, MI as well. Just ran another speed test at a whopping 107kbps. And yet I still get charged full price for service. Just take the hardware and let's end this Sprint, it was a bad marriage but we can still be friends.

Journeyman

I wasn't going to get caught up in speed tests with this phone.  I have had rough results from both AT&T and Verizon both with no coverage at all in my own home at times.  I do not live in a rural area, but most folks around here claim the same crummy service and data speeds.  Mind you, Sprint isn't breaking any speed records in our area at all, but the iphone 4s is working fine near my home and even better when away from it.  I ended up getting a sample eveyday from the worst place I know, my home as far as service goes.  This is the worst 6 I can come up with.  (I wonder how Sprint is handling all the speed tests running at the same time)

photo.PNG

I feel fortunate after reading some of the posts here.   I hope that Sprint rectifies some of the problems for those who cannot use their phones.  While I could complain about the speed not being as high as AT&T's (actually that isn't even true around here, but I could complain anyways) i cannot say that the phone is being adversely affected.  We have 3 of the 4s phones and they all work the same.

Journeyman

Those are excellent speeds.  The advertised 3G speed is 600kbps to 1400kbps.  So it appears you are getting exactly what you paid for. 

The people complaining have been getting much much slower speeds then that.  I have a couple results at 5kbps.  On average I was 100 to 500kbps.  Very rare did I get above 500kbps.

In my case Sprint did not rectify the issue.  I cant speak for others but dont believe they have gotten anywhere either.  I decided to switch carriers.  i am enjoying 4.5Mbps.  Very satisfied now.

I mean, whats the point of unlimited data if you are waiting for your dial up to make a connection?

But your speeds are awesome.  I'm a little jealous

Journeyman

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57336601-94/appleinsider-calls-sprint-iphone-tragically-wrong/?tag=...

Finally more media coverage on this problem. PREMIUM DATA HUH?!?! HAHAHA!

Effin Sprint. I ditched them, paid my ETF, and have never been happier with my 4S on AT&T.

Sprint's true colors are shining bright for the world to see right now. Minimizing the issue, as if it is a few remote users. They are going down in flames.

Journeyman

I did the same.  I'm loving my At&t Iphone 4S.  It works when I need it to and blazzing speed.  Not sure why this unlimited data is so important to some people that they put up with the slow speeds.  To each his own though

Journeyman

Amen brother. It is all psychological - like a buffet.

"This unlimited .01 mbps is so awesome!"

Journeyman

Because of the different variables involved in a test, results have differed significantly. CNET conducted a test of data speeds in select locations in San Francisco and found that

Sprint generally performed better than Verizon. The test found no speed issues with the Sprint iPhone 4S. Because of the different variables involved in a test, results have differed significantly. CNET conducted a test of data speeds in select locations in San Francisco and found that Sprint generally performed better than Verizon. The test found no speed issues with the Sprint iPhone 4S.

yes bayarea  that was an interesting read...    did you actually read it yourself?    as the results seem to contradict what you are saying.........

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat