cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Hahahahah, well then I have no other carrier to compare to.  Metro pcs?

Yeah, totally.  Whatever works the best near you is what matters.  I don't really talk much either but when I talk, I want to be able to talk and hear.  Nothing more annoying than hearing other people's voice cutting out...well I guss not being able to open an Iphone app is super annoying too...

Journeyman

I think Dave is a lil...rough around the edges with what he's trying to say.  But I get his point.  and will say it again.

IF YOU NEED ALOT OF DATA, THEN SPRINT IS PROBABLY YOUR BEST CHOICE!!!!!!

This doesnt apply to everyone.  ANd some people are/were with Sprint not just because of unlimited data.  So for some, not having unlimited data is not a big deal.

Its like you come on this forum complaining about an issue with sprint, and everyone is all....."unlimited data, unlimited data, but unlimited data.  You will be unhappy when you get the bill with all those overage charges"

Believe it or not, for some people unlimited data is not needed.  Neither is 2 gigs for some.  Is it that hard to believe.

I understand for you Jay with work that data is needed.  Your bill would be much higher at another carrier.  But this isnt the situation with everyone

Wizard

I have never gone over 500mb usage of data since probably I have a blackberry. I know that when I get out of this blackberry my usage is going to increase. My big fear when they started removing unlimited data is if these data caps are going to raise as usage increase? I mean 6 year ago it was impossible for the average costumer to pass 1gb. I see in a couple of year video calling being a bigger thing than now. As smartphone have better cameras and video recording capability usage is going to go up just by uploading the same amount of content.

If you guys look around in this community there are some post of people given thanks for allowing them to use 12gb the highest I have seen is 21gb which that right there should be a flag to sprint of network abuse in my opinion.

Like my saying goes the heavy data user (meaning averaging about 3-5gb) of today are the average user of tomorrow and that what all wireless carrier mentality should be right now until data usage stop increasing.

This is just my 2cent from a 12 year costumers.

Wizard

I've checked my bill and past bills and my husband and me never even make it to 2gb. Sometimes not even 1gb. We are both ready for new phones but we are thinking about switching. You really do get what you pay for and I would rather pay $10 to $20 more for better coverage. I have always been happy with Sprint but they are getting bad and no fix anytime soon. No 4g with Sprint for me but we are for Verizon and ATT. Sprint needs to get their head out of their *****.

Journeyman

Imagine want kind of speeds the rest of us would have been getting if those 12 to 21 gig customers were not allowed to use that much.  And that ind of data use does look like abuse.  Are they playing pandora while they sleep at night or something?  Watching movies all day?  Thats alot of data.  Should sprint not allow that kind of data use to help free up some much needed data speed for others?

But then you would be talking a data cap.  I really think it might happen.  Unless sprint can get the network in order, they might have to cap to help the data speeds for other customers.

Again, not everyone has data speed issues.  But many do.  And i think if there wasnt people sucking down 21 gigs of data, I would have got better than 300kbps.  Just my thought on it.

Journeyman

I was the same way.  I looked at my last 12 months.  I have two lines.  My line never hit a gig in a month period.  My wifes line hit over a gig a couple of times.  Only a couple though.  And this is mostly cause she likes to listen to pandora while she gets ready for work.  But we have wifi at home, so she could have kept the data use even lower.

If you have two lines and plan on getting smart phones, then at&t shouldnt cost you more.  If you can get by with 750 anytime minutes and 2 gigs of dat per phone, the bill should be $150 just like with Sprint.  It would be $70 for the minutes, $30 for the unlimited texting, and $50 for 2 gigs of data on two phones.

With the additional $10 "premium data" fee, this has really put Sprint just about the same price as the other carriers.  Verizon even has double the data right now.

And isnt Tmobile offering unlimited call, text, data for $50 a month?  Might be $60 a month.  I know they throttle down after 200mbs, but even when tmobile throttles back their data speed, will they be faster than 100 to 300kbps?

Journeyman

Its quite sad how sprint went from the hero one and a half years ago with the first 4g rolling out. To the bottom of the barrel. Their used to be a lot of buzz about sprint and how great of a company they were, now their is a ton of buzz about how horrible of a company they are. This is a true testimony of the fast paced and tech savvy world we live in. Sprint lost all of their moxie that they gained in the last year and a half. Sad...truly sad

Journeyman

I usually watch a movie after 10 pm before I go to bed and one movie is 300 mb.  It adds up fast.  I don't have a network enabled tv or blu ray player so the iPhone is a convenient option.

Journeyman

jonlever wrote:

Imagine want kind of speeds the rest of us would have been getting if those 12 to 21 gig customers were not allowed to use that much.  And that ind of data use does look like abuse.  Are they playing pandora while they sleep at night or something?  Watching movies all day?  Thats alot of data.  Should sprint not allow that kind of data use to help free up some much needed data speed for others?

But then you would be talking a data cap.  I really think it might happen.  Unless sprint can get the network in order, they might have to cap to help the data speeds for other customers.

Again, not everyone has data speed issues.  But many do.  And i think if there wasnt people sucking down 21 gigs of data, I would have got better than 300kbps.  Just my thought on it.

Abuse?   Listening to Pandora all night is abuse?   I am no data monger, but I don't blame those who are. As long as there isn't anything illegal going on with that data connection there is no abuse.   If Sprint caps the data, then they cap the data.   Why wouldn't they?  Everyone else is.

I would bet that the guy that watches movies at night and listens to Pandora is probably hooked into his wireless anyways.   I just don't see the common user tagging the network for downloads and streaming continously for hours and hours.   It is a session issue as far as I am concerned.  The moment ANYONE uses ANY sort of dats on a 3G connection, the tower just got hit, whether it is for a 10mb download or a web page refresh.  When a massive batch of iPhones hit the Sprint network, all in a short period of time, just the fact that those phones are connecting at all is going to be a capacity issue.  Even doing the smallest of things multiplied by extremely high numbers is going to have an affect.  Of course, then there are a bunch of guys running speed tests like it is a script.

Journeyman

"It is a session issue as far as I am concerned.  The moment ANYONE uses ANY sort of dats on a 3G connection, the tower just got hit, whether it is for 10mb download or a web page refresh.  When a massive batch of iphones hit the Sprint network, all in a short period of time, just the fact that those phones are connecting at all is going to be a capacity issue."

So it doesnt matter how much data someone is using?  Just if they are connected using any data is what is slowing it up?  Kind of like if you have multiple people on a wireless signal, even if just looking at a webpage, it will be slower than if it was just one person?

I can understand that being the issue.  But other carriers have the iphone as well as many customers without iphones.  Sprint is the 3rd largest carrier behind at&t and Verizon.  So I would take it as At&t and Verizon have more phones and customers connected to their network than Sprint does.  How come their network is quicker, more stabile, and almost if not the same price?

I think that more and more people will be coming over to Sprint for the iphone after their current carrier contract ends.  So I would think that the Sprint network and towers will have more hits on it.  I would be worried that things might get worst then if the network is having issues maintaining the phones that are currently on it.

I see alot of people lost their texting just recently. 

Wizard

Jon if you look at how the new Sprint network will work I think it give Sprint flexibility to offer more data since there new network which is being rollout is more software base than hardware. This why you see in this community some members that have slow speed being optimistic about it. Sprint is essentially improve their 3g network when they are installing the 4g network since both will be running in the same network unlike verizon and att which run their 3g and 4g network separately.

"With Network Vision it will allow Sprint to toggle resources and spectrum remotely, without accessing towers. This will allow Sprint to dynamically raise and lower spectrum for each of these platforms based on demand." according to http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-network-vision-sprint-you-18431/

Yes I think that Sprint will data cap smartphone usage next year but I believe Sprint will cap it at 5gb instead of 2gb like the industry does.

Base-station-images.jpg

More info about network vision http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19 and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw

Journeyman

jonlever wrote:

"It is a session issue as far as I am concerned.  The moment ANYONE uses ANY sort of dats on a 3G connection, the tower just got hit, whether it is for 10mb download or a web page refresh.  When a massive batch of iphones hit the Sprint network, all in a short period of time, just the fact that those phones are connecting at all is going to be a capacity issue."

So it doesnt matter how much data someone is using?  Just if they are connected using any data is what is slowing it up?  Kind of like if you have multiple people on a wireless signal, even if just looking at a webpage, it will be slower than if it was just one person?

I can understand that being the issue.  But other carriers have the iphone as well as many customers without iphones.  Sprint is the 3rd largest carrier behind at&t and Verizon.  So I would take it as At&t and Verizon have more phones and customers connected to their network than Sprint does.  How come their network is quicker, more stabile, and almost if not the same price?

I think that more and more people will be coming over to Sprint for the iphone after their current carrier contract ends.  So I would think that the Sprint network and towers will have more hits on it.  I would be worried that things might get worst then if the network is having issues maintaining the phones that are currently on it.

I see alot of people lost their texting just recently. 

I might have worded that wrong.  Certainly it matters how much they  are using, while that pipe/pipes is reserved for the session that just  connected, it becomes unusable to others until the request is  completed.   Other carriers do have the iPhone, they have for a long  time, Sprint was just behind on that, so when the new one became  available on an unlimited plan and a commercial runs that states "why  would you want to limit it?" Sprint was rewarded with a bunch of new  users.  Me included.  My choice was based on the fact that the others  wanted me to pay more for data that had a cap.  In my personal  situation, I get an employee discount from every mobile vendor around.   Sprint had the best pricing and in this area works fine (for now)  As a  matter of fact, I hit the speed test every once in a while, looking for  that really low speed.  I had one report 218k, then 10 minutes later  followed it up to see if it was worse and it was 1520k.  What I am more  satisfied with is the voice quality compared to the other two in my  area.  No dropping or breaking up sounds either way.  That was HUGE to  me.

I can also see what else you might mean by abuse, no  one really has any business hitting a mobile device for 21g, I mean  REALLY?  Heck, I don't think we come close to hitting that on my entire  network at home with 7 devices and a Direct TV DVR.  Is that even  possible at 1.5mb?  That would take a long time and it better have been  one heck of a great adult film for that wait!!!!  Illegal or not, that  is a lot of data for a phone.  I see Sprint trying to improve their  situation and spending as little money as they can to do it.  It would  be nice if those who are having trouble finally get their service, or at  least once Xmas is over that the traffic calms down a little and frees  up some juice.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat