cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

I am sure the LTE will be a mighty nice network.  But that is still awhile aways.  As new customers continue to sign up, the current network is going to become more bogged down.  The Iphone (which is why alot of new customers are signing with sprint) uses the 3G network.  As well as all their phones if you dont get 4G.  Sprints 4G is pretty much wifi isnt it?  Thats why the battery gets sucked down quickly. 

I wondering if the current Sprint network will be able to continue to handle more new customers as the months go on.  You can see on the forum right now that a number of people are getting texting errors.  As I have said, I was getting very poor data speeds and it felt like it was getting slower as the days went on.  I would think issue like this will continue to rise as the months and even years go on until Sprint rolls out the LTE.

The LTE is scheduled to finish in a couple years right?  2013 I thought I read but may be mistaken. 

Do you think the current Sprint network will get better until this LTE arrives? 

Do you think the current 3G network can handle the new customers?

If the network continues to grow slower with texting and call isues, do you think Sprint will charge less since they will be offering subpar service while they transition?  Or will they continue to charge everyone "premium" pricing?

And I too think the service will get capped eventually.  I wonder if they will grandfather anyone in cause they DID NOT grandfather the mobile broadband users.

It just seems smart to switch carriers the next few years while Sprint deals with all this network issues and upgrades.  I use to be about customer loyalty but as of recently Sprint hasnt shown much loyalty to their long time customers.  They also talk to you (to me atleast) with the whole "if you dont like it, then go elsewhere".

Since you dont get anything for being a long term customer, it doesnt hurt to switch carriers for a couple of years and evaluate Sprint again when the LTE is available.

Journeyman

44720. This isn't the worst I've received; it's the typical. There's no point in having Siri. There's no point in having unlimited data. Neither work in these conditions.

photo.PNG

Journeyman

Wow.  Those are some good speeds.  I never hit over 1000kbps.  I was averaging between 100 to 500kbps.  I had hit as low as 5kbps.  And as high as 900kbps (just once).  I probably averaged more around a steady 300kbps.  I had my phone for almost a month.  Just couldnt do it anymore.  If a customer is receiving subpar service, I dont feel its right to charge them for "premium" data and make them pay the same amount that others getting 1520kbps are paying.

As I priced around, i realized that other carriers were pretty much the same price.  I havent had issues with my voice service yet with At&t but Im sure I will in the future.  If I talked on the phone alot or needed to make business calls etc then I probably would have either kept Sprint or went to Verizon.  But since I dont talk much on the phone, and just use casual amounts of data, the other carriers were not more expensive in my situation.

It would be great if Sprint had smaller family plans.  Maybe even data caps mixed with unlimited.  For example, if for two lines you pay $150.  Lets say you dont use a gig of data that month, maybe have your bill be $130 or something.  And maybe instead of 1200 anytime for $129, they offered like 700 anytime for $110 or something.

I dont know.  Just $170 a month (after taxes) is way too much for the current service they are providing certain amounts of customers.  We will see what happens in the coming months as more people sign up for that unlimited iphone

Journeyman

Both 3G and LTE will use the "same" backhaul. So until that gets upgraded data speeds for both will be poor.

For those that have great data speeds have a great backhaul in place. Those us that don't are waiting on the 25,000 backhaul upgrades to occur.  I live in the Orlando Florida area and it's SLOW here...

Download is .07 mbps

Upload is .04 mbps

3020fjr2 wrote:

Jon if you look at how the new Sprint network will work I think it give Sprint flexibility to offer more data since there new network which is being rollout is more software base than hardware. This why you see in this community some members that have slow speed being optimistic about it. Sprint is essentially improve their 3g network when they are installing the 4g network since both will be running in the same network unlike verizon and att which run their 3g and 4g network separately.

"With Network Vision it will allow Sprint to toggle resources and spectrum remotely, without accessing towers. This will allow Sprint to dynamically raise and lower spectrum for each of these platforms based on demand." according to http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-network-vision-sprint-you-18431/

Yes I think that Sprint will data cap smartphone usage next year but I believe Sprint will cap it at 5gb instead of 2gb like the industry does.

Base-station-images.jpg

More info about network vision http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19 and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw

Wizard

Yes you are correct facke02. I pretty sure the Miami area has gotten most of it backhaul upgrades since speed have been improving the last 6 month and are more constant during peak time. Hopufully Orlando will get them soon.

Journeyman

The reason why some people are able to spend so much data is because they have their phone rooted or jail broken and are using apps that allow wifi tether their laptops or home pcs for example a friend of mine lost his house Internet for a couple of hours and his phone was rooted and he download off his 4g phone a whole operating system 4g plus in a couple of hours. Sprint should cap their data at a point where only a few people can pass it people like my friend, I'm agreed with 5gb but maybe some people would prefer 7gb I don't think no one would use more Than that every single month

Journeyman

I spoke to Sprint network engineer and they got back to me.  They said that near me, its a "network capacity" issue, which means that there are too many people using the network and there is nothing they can do.  They won't give me discount, they won't do anything basically I have to pay the ETF to leave.

So sprint's tactic is false advertise the hell out of unlimited data, make money on that AND when people decide to leave, make money on the ETF and see who sticks around. 

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

jonlever wrote:

Wow.  Those are some good speeds.  I never hit over 1000kbps.  I was averaging between 100 to 500kbps.  I had hit as low as 5kbps.  And as high as 900kbps (just once).  I probably averaged more around a steady 300kbps.  I had my phone for almost a month.  Just couldnt do it anymore.  If a customer is receiving subpar service, I dont feel its right to charge them for "premium" data and make them pay the same amount that others getting 1520kbps are paying.

As I priced around, i realized that other carriers were pretty much the same price.  I havent had issues with my voice service yet with At&t but Im sure I will in the future.  If I talked on the phone alot or needed to make business calls etc then I probably would have either kept Sprint or went to Verizon.  But since I dont talk much on the phone, and just use casual amounts of data, the other carriers were not more expensive in my situation.

It would be great if Sprint had smaller family plans.  Maybe even data caps mixed with unlimited.  For example, if for two lines you pay $150.  Lets say you dont use a gig of data that month, maybe have your bill be $130 or something.  And maybe instead of 1200 anytime for $129, they offered like 700 anytime for $110 or something.

I dont know.  Just $170 a month (after taxes) is way too much for the current service they are providing certain amounts of customers.  We will see what happens in the coming months as more people sign up for that unlimited iphone

photo.PNG

Actually the 1520k came AFTER I had a crummy download speed.   Kind of weird, all over the place, but never crippling the phone.   As far as plans go with the family, I have a 3 phone family plan with Corporate discount I am paying 147.00 plust taxes for unlimited data and text.  1500 Minutes shared, the three of us have never used more than 500 minutes (we were on a 700 minute shared plan with Verizon, me with unlimited data that was grandfathered and the other two were 5g capped.  With corporate discount to Verizon, that was literally 227.00 a month.   By the way, that was Blackberry, One POS droid and X2.  Now I have 3 iphones (which would be priced the same from Verizon)   It just so happens to work in my area, if it didn't I wouldn't even use it.   I have seen slower speeds on the tests, just havent been affected by them.  Don't assume AT&T voice will ever be an issue, where you are at, it might be fine.   It just isn't here.  I have heard plenty of guys in the Midwest tell me how AT&T is the best out there.

Journeyman

Sprint

075.PNG

At&t

003.PNG

I havent had any voice issues.  Its the same price.  And the data results speak for themselves.

Journeyman

Sprintphone00 wrote:

I havent had any voice issues.  Its the same price.  And the data results speak for themselves.

Wait a minute... It is the same price?   How could that be if AT&T doesn't even offer unlimited data?   I'll be "frank".   I didn't spend too much time looking at AT&T because they are as useful as a dump truck in a China shop around here, but I did see enough of their package to actually generate some laughter.  Yeah, AT&T was the cheapest offer for the company to use, they promised the best and gave the company dirt.  From a consumer standpoint, AT&T was more money.  I suppose if your company ONLY gave you AT&T discounts that could apply, but the one I work for is straight up 25% off service and equipment with all mobile suppliers.

Journeyman

My bad.  They are cheaper for me and my needs.  With two lines I dont need 1200 anytime minutes.  Between 2 phones my last 4 months we used a combined 100 minutes each month.  Let me say this part again:

UNLIKE OTHER SPRINT FANBOYS, I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.  AGAIN....I DONT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.

I have been with sprint since data was not really needed.  I have barely hit 1 gig a couple months in the last 12 months.  And that was my wifes phone who listens to pandora while she gets ready for work.  I have wifi at home and use my phone the most (which aint much) at home.  So again, the only perk of Sprint is not a perk to me.  Not worth $170 thats for sure.

Yes at&t (for my needs) is the same price and cheaper.  For 2 lines with smart phones with sprint is $150 a month (before taxes and surcharges ofcourse). 

With sprint it is $70 for 750 anytime minutes.  Again, I barely use 100.  I would get even less minutes but you have to get atleast this one for mobile to mobile for any carrier.  I also got the $30 unlimited texting for both lines.  And then I got 2 gigs of data for each line.  Again:

I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.  I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA

So that all equals $150 a month.  I also get an employer discount saving me almost $20 a month of that bill making at&t cheaper.  And again, at&t is excellent in my area.

Just because Sprint is good for you doesnt mean its good for everybody.  Again...Im not sure why Sprint customers takes this personally.  Just because you thing they are a gift from the Gods, doesnt mean everyone has to.  And if people look around, they might come to this same realization.

I will continue to post on this forum because first of you do not have to be a sprint customer to do so.  Secondly, Sprint has cost me alot of money in ETF's because of a service that is in their definition Subpar

Journeyman

Sprintphone00 wrote:

My bad.  They are cheaper for me and my needs.  With two lines I dont need 1200 anytime minutes.  Between 2 phones my last 4 months we used a combined 100 minutes each month.  Let me say this part again:

UNLIKE OTHER SPRINT FANBOYS, I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.  AGAIN....I DONT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.

I have been with sprint since data was not really needed.  I have barely hit 1 gig a couple months in the last 12 months.  And that was my wifes phone who listens to pandora while she gets ready for work.  I have wifi at home and use my phone the most (which aint much) at home.  So again, the only perk of Sprint is not a perk to me.  Not worth $170 thats for sure.

Yes at&t (for my needs) is the same price and cheaper.  For 2 lines with smart phones with sprint is $150 a month (before taxes and surcharges ofcourse). 

With sprint it is $70 for 750 anytime minutes.  Again, I barely use 100.  I would get even less minutes but you have to get atleast this one for mobile to mobile for any carrier.  I also got the $30 unlimited texting for both lines.  And then I got 2 gigs of data for each line.  Again:

I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA.  I DO NOT NEED UNLIMITED DATA

So that all equals $150 a month.  I also get an employer discount saving me almost $20 a month of that bill making at&t cheaper.  And again, at&t is excellent in my area.

Just because Sprint is good for you doesnt mean its good for everybody.  Again...Im not sure why Sprint customers takes this personally.  Just because you thing they are a gift from the Gods, doesnt mean everyone has to.  And if people look around, they might come to this same realization.

I will continue to post on this forum because first of you do not have to be a sprint customer to do so.  Secondly, Sprint has cost me alot of money in ETF's because of a service that is in their definition Subpar

Defensive?  DEFENSIVE? WHAT is THAT supposed to MEAN?  ME?  DEFENSIVE?   

Look, you said the results speak for themselves.  I  wanted you to know that it wasn't an argument and that the grass is  always greener on the other side.  You think that AT&T people are  any different than Sprint's customer support?  At least Verizon would  send me a new phone and blame it on that 

The AT&T folks would tell us nothing was happening, that there was a  cell tower down, that it takes days for it to recover once it is  working again, that there was another sort of outage.  I have heard it  all from all of them and it STILL isn't fixed.  I would expect to hear  it from Sprint too if I called with those same problems.  I still have  another week to return my stuff, I just can't see doing it.  Of course  on day 15, I will lose all connectivity, have a useless phone and so on.    Verizon was 130 a month in Data alone (5g), AT&T would have been 100.00 for a few g.   Just depends on location and needs, nothing more.

Fanboy?   I have been a Sprint customer for a week.   I have been a Verizon customer since they were Airtouch. AT&T is forced upon me.  "Fanboys" own new Toyota Tundra's and try to pretend they are like real trucks with Turbo-Diesels and 8 lug nuts.,  I don't qualify.    I have not made one comment stating that ANYONE should use Sprint, as a matter of fact I simply said that I felt fortunate to not have the trouble that the others are having.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat