cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

xenadu2-  They have been making promises to customers for years now, their network has been crappy for years now, it's too little too late for Sprint, they were ghetto in the 90's and they are still ghetto in the 21st century!  They are indeed on their way to going bankrupt, no company who can't provide the data speeds they claim they have should be charging customers ETF's, that is just plain wrong and is probablly illegal to do!

We know you're an employer of Sprint, we were not born yesterday my friend!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been complaining to Sprint about data speeds it goes nowhere.  So I have committed myself to daily posts until data speeds improve.  Here's a speedtest from my iphone 4s this morning at my office 200 yards from a Sprint tower.  Sweet speeds, thanks Sprint.

Speedtest 4 17 12.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

One thing is sure, you're not working for anybody with that English. But seriously, there's nothing else you can do but complain to get something done. See, for some of us paying ETF is out of the question. This is why people like me reach out to a place like this to get some good feedback and group complaints.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To get out of the ETF ..

Pay the fee, Sell the iphone for 450 online.

ETF 350 - how many months etc, then your up 100+, spend that 100 + a few extra bucks for a new phone on another carrier

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can assure you I am not a Sprint employee. I know the frustrations, I was a Sprint customer from the day they turned on in East Texas (my number ends in 1100 - not too many of those!). I still remember when they split Longview and Tyler and suddenly people had to dial 1 for long distance to call my cell phone even though I had a local area code... Discussing that particular issue with Sprint CS was a nightmare.

I got tired of waiting for the iPhone and the slow data so I jumped to AT&T over two years ago and was with them until just recently. I was looking around at my options due to AT&T data caps and since Sprint is the only national carrier with the iPhone and unlimited I made the decision to switch. I knew the speeds would not be nearly as good as Sprint for a while but I also did my research and I knew Network Vision was real (and not just empty promises). I am exactly the kind of customer Sprint desperately needs to keep and has been losing like crazy due to lack of iPhone. I always preferred Sprint but I just couldn't stay away from the iPhone any longer and I am quite happy to be back.

Still, like you I was pissed for about three months because I didn't see any improvements. It is only within the past month that they have been turning on NV towers here and I can see a huge difference. Granted, not at my house yet - I still get absolutely crap speeds here - but when I am running around town I hit pockets with NV towers online and the difference is night and day. Comparing these areas to the NV complete maps at s4gru shows that those are indeed the locations with complete NV towers. I would not be posting in this thread if I hadn't seen concrete improvements, and this is a busy metro area with people on all towers at all hours... If I can get these kind of speed improvements here everyone should see them everywhere when NV is done (at least within the Sprint native coverage area).

I will move to my desktop and post a picture (not sure why they disable image uploads from iPad... AtomicWeb can upload files just fine).

edit: In this picture look at the bottom two tests... the 1.7Mbps test was on an NV upgraded tower, the 0.11Mbps test was just a mile down the road on a non-NV tower. The number of NV towers is growing quickly.

sprint_speed_test.png

P.S. I confirmed that if I have AtomicWeb lie and say it is Firefox the advanced editor works but it still disables the attach file button for no good reason. Sprint - stop proactively turning off website features based on browser strings! Having to switch from my iPad to my desktop due to a poorly coded browser-specific check is extremely annoying.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where in Tyler/Longview are you seeing 1.70Mbps? I live in Tyler and when I run a speedtest I get 0.12 - 0.14 download and 0.2 upload, its very frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't, I live in Dallas now and the Dallas market is deploying NV right now.

Tyler is part of the "Eastern Texas/Louisianna" market. I don't know exactly when that is scheduled but I would assume it is in the 2nd tier round of deployments. All markets will be complete by the end of 2013 according to the current schedule.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Louisiana and East Texas markets aren't in the first 2 rounds of NV deployments.  They'll either be in the 3rd or 4th round.  The 4th round (right now) is scheduled to BEGIN deployment in December 2013.  Completion won't be for another six months or so after that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We were all 28.8 users once.

BTW also getting pathetic speeds but noticed data speed upgrades are planned on both of my area's towers so we'll see...

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears that my recent FCC compliant with sprint has gotten there attention, now there calling me and investigating however I doubt this will do anything in fixing there network issues. But hopefully they will release me from my contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's wonderful, if just one customer get released from his contract without paying ETF then this post has accomplished its objective, justice should have its way...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Because of my FCC complaint and my associated "executive", unclosable trouble ticket, I have now received $160 in credits. Essentially have been able to get them to reverse my premium data fee charges for both lines since I initiated service on 4S launch day...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat