cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Maybe that's true on some other networks. Sprint takes a different approach of pretending there's some tower outage that may last for a month or two. So until then, you'll hear that it's Apple, clouds, solar storms, or maybe PRL update, who knows.

When my bars and 3G actually stay on when I use my phone then I tend to get better Data with 4-5 bars, rather than 2.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Marssss, two possible reasons:

1. You aren't connected to 3G and are actually on 1x. You will see the "o" symbol next to Sprint in the upper-left corner of the screen if this is the case. This occurs to me on occasion despite being in a 3G area according to Sprint.

2. The Sprint 3G speeds in your area are poor. With 171 pages in this thread and RootMetrics showing weak speeds relative to other carriers in just about every area, you can be sure that you are not alone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint appears hard at work to bring back the dial-up speeds.  My iphone gets about 43Kb down/4Kb up.  Total joke.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So here's my update;

after filing BBB and FCC complaints against Sprint I got some executive branch trying to solve this problem. However, there's nothing to be solved. The data is extremely slow and very unreliable. Voice service is even worse than data. A lot of my calls are going straight to voice mail. There's a lot of static interference and dropped calls. Some Sprint technical, and frustrated, guy called me to explain what was going on. I felt really bad for him since I'm sure he has to do this all day long. And here's what I got from him, note that this applies to Chicago area;

- data won't get better until June 23rd

- voice won't get better until who knows when in July

- new "system" is up and runing but they are calibrating it and that's why there are problems.

I was told that they cannot let me go without ETFs because they discounted my two iPhones which are worth over $600 each. I told them to take the phone back and let me go but they couldn't do that either. If this continues I am going to go as far as to sue Sprint for this horseshat of a service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Greg, search google, Jailbreak your phone and force roam your iphone on Verizon towers. Sprint will send you a nice letter kicking you off their network and you get to keep the phone ETF FREE. sell them on ebay and go to another carrier and get iphones there. you will most likely make money on the deal. Just search google, you will find instructions there, its pretty simple.

Highlighted
Journeyman

nice thinking, but maybe you didn't know that there are exemptions in these; if you're phone roam too much allocating a lot of data from different network, yes etf will be waived but if this is intentional, i don't knwo what sprint will do; jailbreaking a phone is voiding the phone's warranty, and i don't know, selling it on ebay will cost not taht much...   so think twice

Highlighted
Journeyman

Troishenly wrote:

nice thinking, but maybe you didn't know that there are exemptions in these; if you're phone roam too much allocating a lot of data from different network, yes etf will be waived but if this is intentional, i don't knwo what sprint will do; jailbreaking a phone is voiding the phone's warranty, and i don't know, selling it on ebay will cost not taht much...   so think twice

Roaming too much results in Sprint canceling your account ETF free.  You have to make sure you data roam though.  If you roam with minutes they count as anytime minutes and you may have overages.  But it is an option.  Jailbreak and roam.  You will enjoy excellent service while you do this as well.  After Sprint cancels your contract you then return your phone back to original operation.  Sale them on craigslist as its free.  And who cares about warranty as you are just going to sell them anyways.  If Sprint cant provide advertised 3G speeds and you want to leave ETF free, why not go this route?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok; but you can tell sprint that there's no coverage for your area; they probably waive the etf (?)  ...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Troishenly wrote:

ok; but you can tell sprint that there's no coverage for your area; they probably waive the etf (?)  ...

You cant just "tell" sprint that you have no coverage.  You home address (billing address) has to be on Sprints coverage map as showing lack of coverage.  If they show you have coverage and you do not, you will not be able to get out of contract.

Also Sprint has started telling customers that if they let them out ETF free because of lack of coverage, they have to send their phones back to Sprint and they do not get refunded the money they paid for them.

So you would have to choose between paying the ETF and keeping your phones or getting out ETF free and sending back your phones.

Or just do as someone above recommended with the root/jailbreak and roam option because Sprint does not ask for the phone back then.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is horrible. I get garbage service so often it makes the iphone worthless.  I got the AirRave (or whatever it's called) so I could use my internet service to strengthen the signal in my apartment (in a NY suburb!!!) and I can still only make out 1 of every 3 words spoken to me on the phone.  I've called Sprint a number of times and have gotten the same response each time: "there are network outages reported in your area with no known repair time," followed by: "I have remotely updated your phone and that should help."  I've gone from NY to NH to IL and had the same response... "there are network outages reported in your area..."  It's pathetic.  It is theivery.  It is poor business practice.  Paid for the unlimited data plan and for what???

We've been with Sprint for a number of years and I've just about had it.  When my wife and i can afford new phones, I think we'll be looking elsewhere. I don't know who these people are who are enamored by Sprint. My experience has forced me to consider that they are on the payroll. We pay too much for this nonsense.

Highlighted
Wizard

K. Done with sprint. Period. I defended sprint saying tthey'll get better, blah blah blah. Well, Verizon is offering to buy me out of my contract and pay less what im paying for on sprint. Sure, i wont get unlimited data but 3gb is plenty for me. Also, i get 700 minutes but honestly, everyone has verizon so its free mobile-to-mobile calling. All my family members (aunts, uncles, grand parents, etc.) have verizon except for me. Sprint sucked me into this by saying they have the faster 3G. Yeah, okay. 0.26 mbps is so fricking fast. thats definently faster than verizon. Its not... my uncle just got the droid razr maxx and he came to my house. did speedtest, 35 mbps down and 22 bps up. Thats faster than my comcast wifi. Hmp. Sprint, sorry. Ive only been with u a year and a half and I use to like you. I use to get 1.40 mbps down. what happened, sprint? I'm sorry sprint but its over. IM going to verizon unless you can get me at least 2mbps down in the next 4 months. IM going to wait until my contract is up because i cant use sprint iphone on verizon and i payed 600 bucks and wanna get good use out of it. So sorry sprint. Im giving you 4 months. If you dont prove to me your a reliable, fast, ready now network, i will stay. But if all i get is 0.26, im leaving you. sorry. You guys knew the world is moving at a faster pace. And dont make excuses like "we r trying our best.". How come verizon had 4glte like 6 months ago?! If they can do it, you can do it. Just please make data faster. i really dont wanna go through the pain of switching phone carriers.... but ill do it if i have to. thanks sprint. Please resolve...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wish you the best of luck but IMO you arent leaving.  Your post sounds like nothing more than an empty threat.  You start it off with "I am done with Sprint.  Period".  But then you end it with "if you get me 2Mbps than I'll stay".

If Verizon is "willing to buy you out of your contract" and "pay less what I'm paying for on Sprint" and you are getting 0.26mbps, then why would you even stay?  Verizon will be faster and cheaper and will pay your ETF and you want to stay for 4 more months to find out if Sprint will get you 2mbps?

You also want to wait 4 more months to get "good use out of your Sprint iphone"?  But if you are getting 0.26mbps, how are you going to get good use out of it?

Your entire post is confusing.  If Sprint is that bad then why on earth would you continue to pay if you can get faster, cheaper service?

And you can sell your iphone for around $400 on craigslist.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat