cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, i totally agree. I will get 1.7 Mbps downloads on areas where theres little people. Even on roaming! Its not a issue with the iPhone, but with Sprint needing to add mroet owers to thier network even in smaller cities like where im at and i pull a .5 Mbps download if im lucky

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, 173 Pages of replies here says that there is a big problem.  I am in the Kansas City area which is Sprint's hometown.  You would think they would at least have fast data speeds here.  I am getting connection timeouts quite often and extremely slow and unusable speeds other times.  I occasionally hit an area where things work "ok", but not that often.  Sprint, you have to admit to this issue and do something about it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can anyone verify if this crap service got any better in Chicago-land? I've been roaming on Verizon's network for almost a month and I remember Sprint reps telling me that June 23rd was supposed to be the day when Data was to be fixed. Also, I'm still waiting on my roaming warning letter. Went through almost 3GB of data on roaming only but nothing came in. I hope that Sprint was just waiting for the billing period to be over.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the iphone with this company is poor and devalued the line is a porquerianunca, internet service is rubbish, while other companies already offer iphone 4g for this I believe that neither gives 2g phone since I have it always roaming service is never complete and that I am in the city center which will be outside? I can not wait for my contract is fulfilled to leave this company so inefficient and provided poor service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Greg:

"got any better in Chicago-land?"

Nope.  It's getting even worse!  (If you can believe that!)

My data connection has been worthless going on 2 weeks now. . it's horrendous.  And I mean horrendous.

Watching a Google home page try to load for over 3 minutes (yea, just the text) on both 3g and 4g is enough to make me switch to a different carrier.

I've been with Sprint for over 12 years, and my phone is worthless for anything accept very short calls.  (Evo 4g)

It used to be amazing - and now it's just awful  You'll be looking at 4-5 bars, and yet just to load a Google home page that never finishes loading?

I'm getting the same ugly speeds as everyone else.

Check this out - 4-5 bars - Chicago - 3g:

.01 mbps down, 0.00 upload

(test again)

0.09 mbps down, upload stalled out. . . .

(test again)

0.15 mbps down, 0.09 mbps upload.

SMS message errors. . . .radio errors. . . .

I don't know what Sprint is doing, but this isn't an improvement.  They're actually making things much, much worse.  I surfed to other boards searching, and found out, the service is degrading very, very rapidly in Chicago as they "roll out" this new system.

This "new system" isn't an improvement.  If this is their idea of improvement, Sprint is going to go down, fast.  Like out of business within 4 months.  You can't sell smart phones to people and have a data service that doesn't even work.

Yo Sprint - pay attention!  Take 5 of your technicians, hand them a generic Sprint HTC 4g Evo, and send them out to Chicago where you're making all these "improvements."  Anywhere in Chicago and the West/Southwest suburbs, deploy them witih a regular Evo 4g, for a WEEK, and tell me if you think this is even remotely appropriate. . . . . .and tell us customers you don't think you owe us a major major refund. . . . .

My phone is a Sprint HTC Evo 4g

Highlighted
Wizard

This is the reason I am moving to ATT. I live by Notre Dame and my 3g has gone down hill in the past year.  Verizon is to expensive but they do have 4g lte here but I was with ATT for years and never any issues. 4g lte will be here soon from ATT but atleast their 3g is better. If not the best.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wish I researched this and found this thread before upgrading my work phone to iphone 4s: Ping: 592ms Download: .05Mbps/Upload: .02Mbps Chicago/Suburbs What options do I have?

--------------------

HTC EVO 4G

iPhone 4S

Highlighted
Journeyman

I HATE the iPhone 4s in Sprint. It is a shame that apple made an agremment with sprint. The fastes phone stock in the slowest company.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can do what I did and just call 611 then tell them what's going on. Fo me, they ran reports and saw that over 50% of my data usage was consumed "off-network" and that it was extremely poor coverage. Ask them to analyze your data consumption and see what you come up with. They then offered to let my wife and I out of our contract if we returned the iPhones - we agreed and that saved us $680 in termination fees. What they will do is email you an RMA shipping label that has an expiration date (10 days), which gives you plenty of time to source your new service (elsewhere) and a new device. We SPRINTed to the AT&T store and immediately ported our phone numbers, sent the Sprint the old iPhones and are much happier. Good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Except when I call them their reps tell me that nothing is wrong. My best line is "we cannot determine if the cause of the poor signal is due to reception or the headset". If it's my iPhone then obviously I just had a bad luck of getting two lemons. And don't even get me started about the service getting drastically worse as Sprint makes their repairs and improvements.

Highlighted
Wizard

My data speeds have been getting a lot worse. I use to at least get 0.20 Mbps now I don't even get 0.01 Mbps...... So I don't know if it's sprint or if they are doing tower upgrades. Also, I've been dropping calls like crazy. Some people call me yet my phone never rings. It will just say missed call. So yeah...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dude - I would not be bragging about these speeds, they are terrible.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat