cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Patron

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I feel you alls pain, that's why I sold my 4s months ago for a 4g phone. I know have the 5, and although the 3G is largely unusable, the 4g rollout has be proceeding with a quickening pace. At this time in Houston, I can can go to most areas now and have a LTE signal.

So I wi say, If you are in an area with 4g rolling out, drop the 4s and get a 5!

Highlighted
Journeyman

CESCADA- I wouldn't even pay the ETF. Tell them your service is unusable/less than advertised speeds, if they let you out without an ETF, then you wont file with the FCC. If they still say no, file the FCC/BBB complaint, then there are other measures you can use to LEGALLY get out of your contract. Yes, you can use their own contract against them, because they allowed you unlimited roaming, but reserve the right to cancel your service WITHOUT ETF if you go over 300MB in a month. Just roam over 300 mb. It's easy. As far as unlocking your phone goes, it wont do you any good. Unlocking the phone only alows you to use FOREIGN GSM SIMs, not local such as AT&T or T-Mobile. I think you can purchase a Gevey SIM for about $40 to use it with GSM networks here, but I dont think the 3G radio in CDMA versions of iPhone can use GSM 3G, only other CDMA 3G such as verizon. So you'd be locked to EDGE (or less) speeds on GSM networks anyway. Best bet if you do jump ship, just sell your phone and buy an out of contract phone (or buy a new 2 year contract if you wish) for the network you choose.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163003/sprint_clarifies_iphone_4s_unlocking_policy.html

Alexreed88- I live just south of Houston. How is the speeds on the LTE? I hope it's really fast, but keep in mind, you're getting those good speeds because there are (relatively)  few people using Sprint LTE right now. My fear is that as more people get fed up with the 3G speed/ upgrade to iphone 5/ other LTE phones, that LTE speeds will slow down to almost a crawl, just like their 3G infrastructure did. But I seriously wouldnt mind getting an iPhone 5 with LTE speeds until then....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup... garrett is right... the iphone will always be worth money.. sell it on craigslist... and jump out of this contract... sprint iphones should go for $300 - $350... sell the phone and get out of this slow a$$ company... they are just taking our money.... im glad my 14 day window is still open... im ready to jump out... im 5 days deep into the iphone 5 thinking services will improve but it seems this thread has been around for a very long time... i aint holding on this shit... it seems the detox album will come out before the LTE service is up... and i bet it will still be sh1tty

JD POWER should rank sprint #1 is disappointing customers... if you ask me... iphone was just a trick to get into this service again... bravo sprint... its okay.. i can see almost everyone is about to leave... just like everyone left nextel...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. I usually don't write any reviews good or bad but you better beleive I will be doing that on every social media available. I have 3 accounts with Sprint and just renewed contract 2 months ago. And boy do I gregret it!  But you better beleive I will be switching. Too frustratring with their towers alway being down. So they say, but seriously it's so ridiculous! I have my boss screaming at me because his phone is not working. And worst of all they don't have an answer for anything.  Horrible!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, i gave costumer servise one more try, this time writing a formal letter and email explaining the problem and asking to be let off contract without ETF. Of course their answer was no and some quotes from the contract. I already knew wut contract said. For those who havent read it. In a nutshell it goes something like this. Pay us, we dont garantee service, coverage, speeds, reliability, etc. and we all agreed to that. Sure we are mad and frustrated but a company will simply not do the right thing. Ive heard many complaints to BBB FCC and so forth but their contracts are iron clad and writen by a million lawyers. So heres what im going to do. Im selling my phone for 350 dollars and with that im paying ETF. Ive been testing Tmobile in my house, at work and my known whereabouts and ive been getting consistent 4G (i know i know its not 4G) i live in Puerto Rico and coverage so far has been good and reliable. Consistent 3 to 5 mbps (i know i know its not 4g) but its enough for trouble free browsing and video streaming. Im sad to see the 4s go, ill be getting a GS3 great phone but no Iphone. Tmobile now offers unlimited with no caps or throtles same as Sprint but with better coverage in my area. The capitalist society we live in allows for a company to be punished by its users through competition. They will not change their ways or appreciate costumers until it hits them in their wallets. So until mass exodus comes they will continue biding time and charging us for services they dont provide. Same as i did when ATT changed my contract from unlimited to a tether plan i will give them the bird and continue to support what ever company gives me wut i pay for.Goodbye sprint, this will be my last post here, spread the word, the only way to get sprint to get better is by leaving. Sell your phones and cover ETFs then either get a free smart phone then upgrade or fork over for a new phone. Trust me its better than being frustrated and angry, and to avoid being angry my friends...ill pay a premium for that. Take care

Highlighted
Journeyman

The iPhone is a fantastic product like Samsung's Galaxy line or say the Motorola's Droid line. But it does not get fair treatment on Sprint network. A sprint representative in lakeline mall (in A_U_S_T_I_N) confirmed it today at 3:15pm. When I told him that my iPhone has been giving me issues since last year he simply refused to look any further into it. He said that I need to take it to Apple. I told him that my contract is with Sprint and if something needs to go to Apple then Sprint needs to take care of it not the customer. Then I asked him if he would like to compare the speeds with my iPhone right there. He said Androids run on 4g, I asked him to turn it off and bring it to 3g. He did. We both started our speed app. Guess what ... his was ready in 2 seconds and my iPhone could not locate the closest server after 60 seconds of searching ... what does that tell you? That Apple is a second class citizen on Sprint's network. Does Apple realize it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

BTW ... as a matter of principle I refuse to pay anymore money to this "carrier" of iPhone. My ETF might cost me $200 but I will get at least $150 back by selling my iPhone so I will be losing about a half month's worth of money ... so be it. Of course I'll still need to fork out for a new phone etc. but like I said ... it's a matter of principle. Adios, Dan Hesse & company. Hopefully, you will learn from your mistakes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CaNBeFaD3d wrote:

Yup... garrett is right... the iphone will always be worth money.. sell it on craigslist... and jump out of this contract... sprint iphones should go for $300 - $350... sell the phone and get out of this slow a$$ company... they are just taking our money.... im glad my 14 day window is still open... im ready to jump out... im 5 days deep into the iphone 5 thinking services will improve but it seems this thread has been around for a very long time... i aint holding on this ****... it seems the detox album will come out before the LTE service is up... and i bet it will still be sh1tty

JD POWER should rank sprint #1 is disappointing customers... if you ask me... iphone was just a trick to get into this service again... bravo sprint... its okay.. i can see almost everyone is about to leave... just like everyone left nextel...

I quite agree with you. It's like nextel all over again. The biggest victim next to us customers is Apple themselves. I think they should've chosen T-Mobile over Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for this info! It helps me in my decision to leave this ailing company.

greg_ivq wrote:

Actually Sprint isn't getting that 800 LTE goodness. All the nice frequencies have been bought out by Verizon and ATT. You'll be waiting for 1900 LTE which doesn't penetrate buildings as well, and will never be as good as competitors.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CESCADA wrote:

Enough of this mess! I have finally had enough of the constant smoke screens that Sprint has put up! I have given my notice to stop my service at the end of this billing cycle. I have been complaining since I got this iPhone (October 2011) and to no avail. If Sprint has mastered one thing, it is putting up smoke screens to avoid the reality that their infrastructure is not capable to give decent data speeds necessary and to hold on to customers, until they finally give up. I feel like I have been robbed for the past year, paying for data that was so dreadfully slow that it would often time out. I understand that Sprint paid an enormous amount to Apple to get their contract, but without the infrastructure, your "engineers" should have informed you that problems were looming for the anticipated customer base. Some of these bloggers that are sympathetic to Sprint and still hanging on, must not know the purpose of a smart phone; making calls is only half the ability. I have also told Sprint that when I pay my early termination fee ($240) that I want my iPhone unlocked immediately!  The one thing great I can say, is that the call quality has been exceptional and I can't remember having dropped calls, but like I said, that's only half the battle. For all of you that are frustrated, bite the bullet and pay that ETF and go with a provider that can give you the best of both worlds NOW; promises are idle, and if you can't experience what you need now, I have a bridge to sell you! I have told Dan Hesse that he is naive if he thinks that he can continue to hold on to his customer base with these idle notices of pending improvements. I would like to be optimistic and hope that in a year or so Sprint would get its act together and I would return, but there is a part of me that thinks Sprint will not be competitive with the competition in the arena of data in that time frame; and if they are, the pricing structure will change... Those of you that are not financially able to jump ship at this moment, keep each other entertained and vent with each other - hopefully that will keep your stress level down, because stress kills. I bid you farewell fellow bloggers!

I got my iPhone in October of 2011 as well and like you it's been nothing but a constant smoke screen. Unlike you I've had issues like dropped calls as well.

What I don't get is why they keep blaming Apple for it? Didn't Sprint pay a bucket load of money and beg Apple to give them the iPhones? Either their engineers were incompetent in their assessment that iPhones are too heavy for their network or they just lied. Either way isn't good business practice. Sprint needs to also understand that they need to streamline their process with Apple for product repair/diagnosis etc. Asking a customer who drove all the way to your (sprint) store to now go to an Apple store is foolish (the rep. working at the lakeline mall store in Austin asked me to do just that on 9/29/12 around 3pm).

Anyway, it's good to see that you have given the final word and have left. I will do the same. Did you have any luck in getting your iPhone unlocked?

Highlighted
Master

srt7  The post saying Sprint will not have any lte is the 800 mhz spectrum is in errror.   You may want to check this article   http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/25/3043924/sprint-800mhz-spectrum-lte-fcc-order

Highlighted
Journeyman

But what I'm not understanding is that when I activate my iPhone 4S, my 3G data works fine. However, once I reactivate my iphone 5, no 3G. And this has been on five iPhone 5s 😞 Verizon is looking promising...

Did this get any better for those who stuck with their iPhone 4S?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat