cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Just got off the phone with Sprint, which was a follow up call to the network ticket a 1st level tech opened last night (BTW they called me back at 9:30am - the ticket was only created at 8:30pm last night.  I was at work, so they scheduled a call back for 5pm tonight.  They were about 45 minutes late to call, but so far both techs have shown honest concern and solid customer service, at least for me).  It was an information gathering call.  The tech had me open the field test app and give those numbers.  To my surprise, he actually asked me to download the SpeedTest app (already had it), and tell him what numbers it returned.  I gave him the most recent and a couple sets from the last few days.  Also told him about the other app and the Gizmodo tests that I tried, along with how it felt in "real world" usage.  All speed tests returned results close to each other.  Averaging around 200kbps down, with a max of ~500kbps and a low of 35kbps.  For whatever reason, my uploads almost always come out better.  The tech didn't admit any issues, but I didn't drill him about it.  He did confirm the towers in my area aren't reporting issues presently.  Based on the quick call back and his tone, I got the feeling they know something is wrong for more than just a handful of people.

Even though I have until the 28th, I've made the decision to wait until Friday.  If it's not resolved or I'm at least given an explaination by then, the phone is going back and, sadly, I'll move to AT&T.  I had a good experience on Sprint between 2008 - 2010, when I was on a corporate account, so I didn't hesitate to move back here from T-Mobile (which was one of the worst decisions I've made), but I won't notice dropped calls (hi AT&T) nearly as much as 300kbps download speeds.  Honestly, if I could sustain 1 to 1.5mbps or so, I'd have no problems sticking with Sprint.  This time I was smart about it, I didn't cancel service on T-Mobile and didn't port my primary number until I was satisified with the new service.  Right now, seems like that was a good idea.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What does it mean if you can't get past 'Finding Closest Server' in Speedtest.com? I do have some 3G...

Highlighted
Journeyman

It means you have no signal or it is soo low that it cannot even connect. It eventually will if you wait and try it a dozen times or so.

Its all Sprint phones. Its not just the Iphone for whom asked that question. I have had 5 diff phones now on my Sprint acct and all the same issues. Hence why they let me drop with no ETF's. They couldnt argue with me anymore because they knew I was right.

They always wanted to reset my data profile and do all this troubleshooting on my one phone and I had to always tell them it is ALL OF MY LINES and ALL DIFFERENT PHONES in ALL DIFFERENT AREAS

Trust me. You are all wasting your breath with them. I can tell you I am the biggest pain in the ass there is and it took me alot of persistance to get some credits and get dropped. Once I started force roaming for a few months to get some kind of data service they eventually caved and let me out

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tonight I was advised that there was a network outage in the Orlando area and that the ticket was closed by customer service this morning as being referred to the techs, but that the techs have not cleared (completed) the repair yet.  The rep tonight scheduled a time to call me tomorrow with an update.  I want Sprint to get this fixed before my 14 days ends on Sunday becaue I have been thoroughly impressed by their level of personal customer service.  I hated AT&T's CSRs when I was with them a few years ago.  But I also don't want to pay a premium price for a substandard wireless network product.

Highlighted
Journeyman

UCF1994 wrote:

Tonight I was advised that there was a network outage in the Orlando area and that the ticket was closed by customer service this morning as being referred to the techs, but that the techs have not cleared (completed) the repair yet.  The rep tonight scheduled a time to call me tomorrow with an update.  I want Sprint to get this fixed before my 14 days ends on Sunday becaue I have been thoroughly impressed by their level of personal customer service.  I hated AT&T's CSRs when I was with them a few years ago.  But I also don't want to pay a premium price for a substandard wireless network product.

Let's hope this is the case for Orlando.  Did they indicate what type of outage it was?  Keep us posted.

Ken

Highlighted
Journeyman

Download: .01
Upload: .21

Unbelievable.

Highlighted
Wizard

pmanicioto wrote:

I am in Berks area. I can tell you I tested all across the US with same results. Anywhere outside of a major city is worthless.

I have yet to see a speedtest above 300-400k in over a year. Most of them are double digits though.

You're really close to where I am and I'm not getting any better results.  There have been times when I've actually been in Philly without any data connectivity at all.  This is sad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Today i had all day down: 0.89 mbps and up: 0.6 mbps!! but right now is .2 and 0.2!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394831,00.asp#fbid=M7gXeHa3mBs .

I'm getting .12 mbps at home (Evanston, IL) and .05 (or less) mbps at work (Chicago, IL right near a window).  I was going to cancel an ispot with Clear, but I can't depend on Sprint to deliver decent network speeds.  The best part is paying an extra $10 for this privilage.  This is just terrible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sure you think you're being quite clever as you brag about your great android phone that supports flash, but really, you just come across as irritable and childish.

It's great that you like your phone. I like mine too.

So please, try and grow up. It's not that difficult, well it isn't for most.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go away. Don't you have anything better to do than bash in an iPhone forum? You are not contributing and your opinion is valueless. We all know the differences between the iPhone and Android phones. I've got two lines, one with an iPhone the other with an Epic Touch. Who Cares? Get a life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nobody cares what you think. Take your piece of sh!t Android and go install a new ROM. You really don't need to troll this thread. If you hate Apple so much just leave. You don't have to be happy at other's expense.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat