cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

I wish some people would know what they are actually talking about before they post.  You'd look a lot less foolish.

Sprint & Verizon use the same type of network, CDMA.  AT&T uses a GSM network.

Wizard

That why I ask if it was a joke. Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA.

Journeyman

For the second night in a row, after everyone seems to go to bed, I consistently get 3G speeds over 1.0 mb/s down...So it's obviously a matter of the network becoming overly congested during the day...It just sucks that I wont be able to use 3G on my phone during the day now...I hope they fix this soon somehow.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

How come it's the people who are defending Sprint that don't know how to type?

And BTW, East Village in Manhattan during the day today:

speed.PNG

Game over Sprint. I hardly knew ya.

Wizard

What, exactly do you expect a Sprint rep to come on this forum thread  and say...? No one is going to comment on the various results of  numerous random speed tests from a questionable app with tons of  variables for each person and their particular location. The reason the  network is slow is due to all the data packets from the incessant speed  tests everyone is doing! JK. Seriously, real world usage issues are  something they will be more likely to respond to. (Just not here). In  several different tests on my EVO at home in northeast Ohio, my results  fared better than most I've seen posted here. More importantly, I can  make calls, download internet pages, send/receive email w/ attachments,  or watch a You Tube video... do everything I want to do on my phone...  without issues. Furthermore, I travel & work 4 days every week to  different places all over the US with only occasion noticeable  slowdowns.

Sprint may very well test out as the slowest network,  but for some of you to proclaim to new users that they will not be able  to use their phones (iPhones?) is inaccurate. Maybe there is a bug or  other issue specific to the iPhone on Sprint, but that is certainly yet  to be determined. Whereas I am concerned about the reports of slowdowns  in 3G speeds (the ATT past issues come to mind), I'm not about to snap  to some conclusion based on the user experiences reported here. Believe  it or not, EVERYONE, or even the majority of iPhone 4S users may not be  having the bad experiences echoed by those here. They may be blissfully  unaware and too busy playing with Siri and otherwise having fun with  their new phones as opposed to the few less-fortunate vocal minority  having issues and coming to forums to vent and seek answers. So to all  of you sharing your negative experiences it just may  "appear" to be  widespread accross the board when, in reality, it may not be.

It's all too new and I'm sure Sprint is trying to get a  handle on any specific issues before they conceed mass problems. Look  how long Apple took to give in on antenna-gate for the 4. If you are  having problems keep reporting them to Sprint... that's all you can do  for now until it can be determined if serious or widespread iPhone  related data speed issues exist. Stay on them, keep 'em honest, for all our sakes. I need this network and iPhone situation crystal clear by the time my upgrade comes around in a few months. 

Fipronil wrote:

After 376 posts, the official response from Sprint is that there is no response. Pathetic. It's funny how in every thread someone from Sprint chimes in but not here. Wooow - Sprint did you really earn that JD award? All we here from are Sprint apologists but no Sprint reps. Not suprising as you can't get a straight answer from any Sprint customer service rep never mind having them agree that their network is just plain slow!

Journeyman

The issue is not CDMA . the issue is SPRINT is using CLEARWIRES outdate CDMA SYSTEM.

Sprint is using a 4G technology known as LTE, for Long-Term Evolution. Rivals AT&T Inc. and

Verizon Wireless

are using the same technology. Clearwire, on the other hand, uses an     earlier technology called WiMax.

HENCE the reference to the dinos

By Peter Svensson, Associated Press 

Updated 10/7/2011 12:57 PM

NEW  YORK – Sprint Nextel Corp. said Friday that it will stop  selling  phones and  other devices compatible with Clearwire Corp.'s  network at  the end of  next year, after it switches on its own  higher-speed,  fourth-generation  data network.

Sprint is Clearwire's largest  customer and  majority owner, but  doesn't control it. Phones labeled  "Sprint 4G" use  Clearwire's network  today.

Clearwire's stock   fell 54 cents, or 26 percent, to $1.51  in midday trading Friday. The   shares hit a 52-week low of $1.32 in  August. Sprint's stock rose 12   cents, or 4.1 percent, to $3.13.

Sprint's president of network operations, Steve Elfman, told investors and analysts at a meeting in New York that the company is already building its own fourth-generation, or  4G,   data network and will inaugurate it next summer. By the end of  2012, it   will cover as many people as Clearwire's network does today,  and a  year  later, it will be far larger.

Sprint is using a 4G technology known as LTE, for Long-Term Evolution. Rivals AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless are using the same technology. Clearwire, on the other hand, uses an    earlier technology called WiMax. That means today's "Sprint 4G"  devices   will need to be replaced to use the new LTE network.

Sprint,    along with AT&T and Verizon, started taking pre-orders for the    iPhone 4S on Friday. It's the first time the struggling carrier has  been   able to sell the coveted smartphone. The network revamp will help  the   company support its iPhone users with wireless data, Sprint  executives   said. However, today's iPhones can use neither Clearwire's  4G network   nor Sprint's coming one.

A Clearwire spokesman had no immediate comment.

The    radio spectrum that Sprint is using for 4G is being freed up by the    shutdown of the Nextel network, a process that's set to be completed  by   the end of next year.

Sprint bought Nextel in  2005, an   acquisition that soon turned disastrous. Nextel subscribers  started   leaving, and Sprint was saddled with the cost of running two    incompatible networks. That has contributed to the company's constant    quarterly financial losses since 2007.

"Overall,  Sprint appears   to be doing the best it can to chart a course forward,  but it is   starting out significantly hamstrung by decisions made in the  past,"   Ovum analyst Jan Dawson said

Wizard

FirstContact... Your arguments re: 4G technologies of the different carriers don't apply to this thread comparing 3G speeds.

Wizard

FirstContact wrote:

The issue is not CDMA . the issue is SPRINT is using CLEARWIRES outdate CDMA SYSTEM.

This is completely wrong Sprint has it own CDMA Network (built from the ground, still own and maintain by Sprint). Sprint 4g WiMax Network is the one that is Clearwire network which Sprint has a whole sale agreement to used.

Wizard

FirstContact please see this video which should help you understand how the Sprint network is right now and how it will be in the future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw The only thing to know is that right now the 4g WiMax network is own and operated by Clearwire when Network Vision is done the 4g LTE network will be owed and managed by Sprint. IDEN and CDMA network right now and in the future (only CDMA in the future since IDEN is going to be shutdown) are owned and managed by Sprint.

Journeyman

yeah, some people just don't understand things and try to 😕

I just tested this out in Overland Park, and I'm not actually that far from Sprint HQ (I'll go knock on Dan's door for you all), and on my Evo on 3G I was getting 2 MBPS down and .07 upload, haha, not very good on the up   Thats faster than normal 3G speeds for me, I'll have someone with a 4S try it out tomorrow.  The little bit I played with Siri at the sprint store earlier though, she was responding quickly to any question I had!

My upload was faster with WiMax turned on (download was about the same, 5/6 3g bars at my house, barely 1 wimax bar), but honestly, WiMax is a joke as a rule, even around here in their own backyard.  I've never really had any luck with it since I've had the phone, except in a few airports.  IMO WiMax is crap, and I don't know enough about LTE to see if that covers more distance per tower or not.  3G has been fast enough to stream music off the cloud based google music or stream my favorite radio station here in KC when I'm traveling outside of KC.

Its quite possibly your respective areas though are bogged down with the influx of data users, so only time will tell I guess.

The AT&T 4S also has HSPA+, which isn't going to bog down the GSM network too much

edit- On the clearwire thing, don't take all the blame off Sprint for WiMax sucking, they have been the majority shareholder of Clearwire for quite awhile

Journeyman

Once again you sound extremely ignorant.  LTE is a 4G technology.  We are talking about 3G SPEEDS WITH THE IPHONE.  You should probably just quit now.

Patron

Just switched to Sprint from AT&T. The data speeds in Pasadena, CA are not great and neither is the service, folks can barely hear me and i miss a text message or two daily. I wonder just how many people are going to return their iPhone's to Sprint within 14 days? I know i will unless there is some announcement from Sprint from now until next Friday that acknowledges the problem and proposes some kind of solution.

I had unlimited data with AT&T and now i have it with Sprint. But what good is unlimited data if you can't use it. I remember when the AT&T rep told me months ago that i could save money by lowering my data plan...because i use only about 500mb/month. The only reason it was that low was because i'd try to use the network, it would fail, i'd give up, and just wait until i got onto WiFi to use the phone.

Sadly, i think Verizon is king in this country if you want good reception.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat