cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Well I've been having the same horrible speeds as everyone else.  A Sprint rep just called me back about my ticket, at 8:25 AM CST and let me know that there is now a 'national alert' regarding the horrible speeds for iPhone users.  So we'll see what happens.  It's better than their blanket denial of a problem.

Journeyman

Yeah - This is absolutely unacceptable... Sprint should be giving us $10.00 for staying with them.   This 3g network is not even functional at all.  I can't even listen to Pandora radio without having it cut off every 15 seconds.

Houston, TX 77041

10/19/11 - 8:27 CST

Ping = 392 ms

DL = .05 Mbps

UL = .02 Mbps

I would get a faster connection if I had a telephone modem from 1993.

Wizard

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

been.jammin1 wrote:

scf48 wrote:

been.jammin1 wrote:

Just the iphone. Do yourselves a favor and return that hunk o junk and get a better phone. This is only the begining. If speed is what you wanted, you should have bought a 4G device. Just because it says apple on it doesnt make it better. Hurry your 14 days are running out. Hmmm I wonder why they changed it from 30 days to 14 days?

You hate the iphone, but you specifically came into the iphone section of the forum.  And for what?  Troll.

I know the truth hurts, but really name calling? Tisk Tisk.

The title of this thread says it all and it's been repeated 382 times, the iphone is too slow to be useful. And you say I'm the one bashing the iphone. No, I'm the one being honest. I only came to support the OP in   stating that the iphone is useless, not trolling. What good is a smartphone if the data service barely works? Take your phone back before the 14 days are up. Please, do us all a favor. If you want fast useable data, then get a  4G phone, use WiFi, or stfu.

The  whining never ends with you iphone people. First you whined because you  wanted an iphone on Sprint. Then you whined because Sprint wouldn't  give you an early upgrade. Despite the fact that it's already outdated,  you still rushed out and bought one. Now you're all crying because the data is too slow.

This is what you get with 4G:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/94215770.png

Definition of a troll:  One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

When you purposely come into a section of a message board specifically dedicated to the iphone 4S when you don't own one and then seek out a thread where people are already upset just so you can repeatedly post how great your speeds are on 4G or on a different phone to rub people's noses in it... well, that pretty clearly is troll-like behavior.  And to reprimand me for "name calling" when you tell people to return their phones or "stfu"?  How about for people who don't have 4G in their area?  What then?  Should they just move to your neighborhood or "stfu"?  Your whole tactic of just continuously posting how much faster your non-iphone is doing nothing to help anyone here and is just pi$$ing people off.

And before you lump me into the "iphone people", I have an EVO.  My wife has the iphone.  And I get terrible 3G speeds on my EVO as well.  Maybe the 3G on the iphone is slower than the 3G on other phones -- but I'm not seeing.  I'm seeing terrible 3G speeds everywhere I go on my EVO, too.  And I'm happy with this thread because it's one of the few that really is showing Sprint that putting all their hopes and dreams of success with wooing iphone customers away from ATT & Verizon with unlimited data is going to backfire big time if they can't get their stupid network up to reasonable speeds.  You say that you "only came to support the OP"... and then you say that "The whining never ends with you iphone people".  Yeah, real supportive.

Journeyman

21601 Easton Md

We have notoriously bad cell signal from all carriers in my area. After getting the 4s to replace my Palm Pre I have been pleased with the speed. All of my data-consuming apps load quickly. Youtube has minimal buffering and the web is lightning fast. Take a look at my speed test results and the numbers defy my actual experience.

speedtest (Medium).JPG

Journeyman

Is everyone calling Sprint instead of just posting and chatting with online rep?  Kinda important... I just called as I am in the same boat as all of u in Orlando, Fl.  She had me try some stuff, but within 5 mins was like we have a nationwide outage on the iPhone4S and no ETA on when it will be fixed, she will follow up with on Friday.  So the problem is at least acknowledge by Sprint, did others who called get a similair response?

If you haven't called, CALL! so it is at least on record.

Journeyman

I used the chat and got a reply they are aware of the problem and working on it..

I even posted the chat in the forum and got someone to move my chat compliant up another level.

I even got a a reply the following day, basically saying they are aware of the problem an working on it

I even asked for a time limit in my orginal chat and no time limit can be given. i get that also cause the cs rep can't tell you when it will be fixed.. they re not the ones fixing it.. and if someone gave you a exact time, people will be complaining they lied an told me it would be fixed on so an so day.

Yea. i used the phone an chat. don't limit your self in seeking help.

Here is my orginal chat

Francis P.: Thank you for contacting Sprint. While I access your  account. Let's move this chat and make it a window of its own. It will  enable you to view other Web pages while we chat.

Simply click the white Yes button below now.

Francis P.: Thanks. Let’s chat about your account.

Francis P.: Thanks for moving the chat window.

Francis P.: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Francis P.: Please hold a moment while I access your account.

Francis P.: Are we connected?

You: Yes

Francis P.: Let me check this issue for you.

You: Patiently waiting

Francis P.: I will have the information shortly.

Francis P.: I appreciate your patience. Please allow me another moment to to check this.

You: Patiently waiting part 2

Francis P.: Thanks for your patience.

Francis  P.: I am sorry for the inconvenience.I have checked your account and  found that its a known issue and our engineers are already working on  it.

Francis P.: This is a high-priority case for us and our Engineers are working to get it resolved at the earliest.

You: Time table to correcting it, 1 day, 1 week, month.. ?

Francis  P.: We have just contacted our dedicated team we are facing network  issues in your area. Technicians have been notified and assigned to  address this outage. There has not been an estimated time of repair  determined at this time. Once the outage has been resolved.

You: ok

You: thats it

Francis  P.: This is a high-priority case for us and our network team is working  to get it resolved at the earliest. We regret any inconvenience this  upgrade may have caused .

Francis P.: I hope you must understand our limitation.

Francis  P.: I am also adding supportive note on your account so that our  engineers will have a strong point of reference to fix the issue on  priority basis.

You: Thanks you

Francis

Wizard

RobBass407 wrote:

Is everyone calling Sprint instead of just posting and chatting with online rep?  Kinda important... I just called as I am in the same boat as all of u in Orlando, Fl.  She had me try some stuff, but within 5 mins was like we have a nationwide outage on the iPhone4S and no ETA on when it will be fixed, she will follow up with on Friday.  So the problem is at least acknowledge by Sprint, did others who called get a similair response?

This is a very good point.  Sprint's comment to PC Mag said that they are receiving a "small number" of complaint about the slow network... while this is hard for all of us to believe considering what we see here, maybe people aren't calling in to record their complaints.

Journeyman

Yes, I have called support twice this week and both times they told me there was an issue.  I'm in Orlando.

This morning I did a chat session to determine my 14 day return date, that was real fun too. Below is what I was told.  I was also told that my pre-ordered iPhone was acitvated on 10/10/2011 and I had until 10/24/2011 to return it.

She said "Georgia G.: I can understanding your frustration and really apologize for this, as there is an outage for iphone data serivcesand all the customer is also facing the same issue, considering you a most valuable customer , I can apply the credit of $5.00 on your account, our technician is also working to fix as soon "

RobBass407 wrote:

Journeyman

Various media outlets are picking up on it and referencing this very post.  Sprint does not need this bad press and Apple will not let their name get dragged down either, so I am pretty sure they are working on it.  I have not heard much from ATT or Verizon customers, so it is related to Sprints network and the iPhone... hopefully this gets resolved fairly quickly.  And I am glad their is exposure of this issue, else we might all be stuck with unsuable (data wise) iPhones...

Edit: I too inquired about the 14 day return period, and the rep told me she will follow-up with me Friday at noon which should give me enough time to return if need be.

Journeyman

If you have not heard from people on AT&T or Verizon. i suggest you go to those website forums and read the complaints for yourself.. im just saying, not to argue from  your comment you haven't heard...i have read complaints from AT&T customers on their own forums.

AND the person saying about the number of people complaining is low.. i mean.. what is your idea of a number of people out of the total number of sprint subscribers.. We can not exactly go by the number of people from this forum which if you count the unhappy customers, its less than 500 and some of those are the same people posting more than one.

So what is a small number of people out of sprints totall 50+ million customers?

Journeyman

Alright guys I'm back - so last night I caught the Sprint store here  in Maryland before it closed @ 8. Was able to return my 16GB  4S without the restocking fee.

I respect those who are being as patient as possible with Sprint -  unfortunately for me, I don't have the time to deal with it. For me, it  was enough taking the leap considering the 4S doesn't have 4G speeds  and that this iteration wasn't the iPhone redesign (though of course  that's personal opinion and preference)- but its still a fine upgrade  and device.... when run on a network with actual data service. I do have to say that the call quality was remarkable and I salute Sprint for that.. but only that.

Sprint blew a huge opportunity against their competitors.

-1 customer; take care guys, off to prepaid until I find a carrier which doesn't sell out on its customers.

Wizard

May I ask what prepaid are you going too?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat