cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Wizard

You also have to factor in the a lot of people got there new phone all in one day meaning that they for the first few days will be playing a lot with there new phone (downloading apps, doing speed test,seeing how video stream, icloud syncing all the data for the first time). I know I am one of them that when I get my new phone I consume more than the average data that month. In other cases it might be that the Sprint tower might not have been ready. The best thing to do is to let Sprint know about it.

Journeyman

Yeah still getting the same thing in Northern Virginia.  Almost zero data speed and consistant timeouts.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Love this. How many 1000's of posts were there warning people not to rush out and buy the iPhone? Posts warning people that it's no better than any available Android? We tried to warn you, we tried to help. And now here we are, with the whiny complaints of the iDrones pouring in. Maybe you should have bought a 4G phone if speed is what you wanted. Haha.

beeay wrote:

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

Journeyman

Guess we have no choice but to stand by and hope Sprint gets their act together. All I ask is for speeds in the 1-2Mbps range.

Journeyman

FYI, I have been with Sprint for many years and I never had any problems with connectivity, signal strength, billing, etc., but they really threw the calf into the lion's den on this one. My new iPhone works great and kicks butt, and the main reason I went with the iPhone vs a Droid product was because I was tired of phone lockups due to crappy software, and the iPhone actually has a decent keyboard for texting, unlike the Android keyboards I've used. I expected my data speeds to at least remain the same, so this comes as a complete shock to me as well as thousands of loyal Sprint customers out there, if that is the case then I don't think I made a mistake getting an iPhone at first realease, as long as they fix the problem.

Journeyman

It would have been dumber to buy a 4G phone since 4G markets are still limited, that's like buying a car that runs on Kryptonite and hope that one day Krytonite fueling stations will pop up everywhere (like the GM and Chrysler vehicles that are Flexfuel capable, by the time an ethanol station comes to your block, your kids will be driving you around). Sprint reps always ask me why I don't get a 4G phone, I tell them I'll get a 4G phone when the service can follow me.

Journeyman

Is anyone having trouble with Siri? Mine keeps telling me it can't connect to the network. It worked the first 5 minutes but ever since then it's having trouble connecting to the network.

Journeyman

Siri uses an internet connection to function. Seeing you are in this thread you must be aware of the network issues Sprint is having with the iPhone

Journeyman

I talked the reps at the Sprint Store and they said the problem is that everyone's iPhone are still not fully activated for data...and that it will take up to 48 hours.  They recommend staying on wifi to get activated the quickest.

Congestion is the obvious answer.  Should back to normal after all the activations.  Should also fix the visual voicemail problems.

Journeyman

To add fuel to the crap fire...My brand new 4S was charged last night til this morning.  I went to my son's soccer game, and within three hours the phone became really hot and the battery died completely.  All I did was take a few pictures and checked to see if the data rate had improved using speed test.  So frustrating :-(

Journeyman

This is absolutely terrible. 0.01-0.1 mbps download with sprint 3g here in Ann Arbor.  My car has a t-mobile 3g hotspot with wifi. Got 1mbps using a competitor's 3G through this hotspot!  Siri works with that convoluted path through the hotspot, but *sprint 3g* is too slow.  If this doesn't resolve asap in a day or two, i'm returning the phones and cancelling sprint.

Journeyman

I just did a speedtest and got 1.76Mbps downstream and 0.28Mbps upstream 217 ping. A lot better than what I was getting when I first activated the phone. I was getting >0.4Mbps downstream at first. I'm in SoCal San Marcos Ca.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat