cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

I guess this is a bad time to say that my phone doesn't ring when I am called?? LoL It vibrates, but doesn't ring, I've checked the settings 3 times. I was comparing the data rates from yesterday to today (same spot, my home) and it's a little better but nothing to write home about, still not enough to watch a youtube video (on low quality) or even use Siri.

Journeyman

I am having the same issues with data on my Sprint Iphone 4s in Summerville, SC.  I would of been happy with just half of what my iphone 3GS got on AT&T (2.1 Mbps down), but instead I am getting .04 down and .02 up!  I called Sprint and they told me that there have been no problems reported with dataspeeds.  I guess I will just have to wait and see if it gets better like BoomBuey...

SpeedTestSprintIphone4s.png

Journeyman

Yeah, by now they know the deal, I called them too and I was told the same shitty lie, that they haven't had any other calls about the data. Oh well, at least the iPhone has some awesome games.

Journeyman

My experience with SpeedTest.net is that it is unreliable to use for accurate speed readings.  If you use the same website and test your connection for your home PCs then use other more reliable sites and do the same test, the results vary greatly.  I stay away from SpeedTest.net and would not accept its results as the end all/be all.

Journeyman

Have you checked the silent switch on the left side of the iPhone?

Journeyman

Damn... you work for Apple?? That's exactly what it was. I thought the silent setting was achieved by pressing the " - " volume button until there is no sound. That's how my Android used to work. So there is hard switch just to keep it silent, that's... different. Thanks man. I would've brought it to the Genius Bar just so they could make fun of me after I left. LoLzz

Journeyman

The results will always vary, even if you use speedtest.net several times, even if you use the same server, due to network traffic and other things we can't see going on, but you shouldn't say speedtest is bad, I think it's a pretty good tool. You must work for Sprint.  =P

Journeyman

I am a step ahead of you

I just got off the phone with AT&T

I am dissapointed, I was hoping Sprint would be a good deal...ugh

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Speedtest.net is not a reliable means to really test a connection. No self respecting system administrator would ever use it. It's a novelty and a "cool" site/app. But that doesn't mean the system isn't slow right now. Lets keep in mind that yesterday was the single most successful day for Sprint (By 1:00 Eastern time). In other words they sold more phones yesterday in one day than they did on any other day in the history of the company. While they were hoping for success and probably had an estimate of what they thought they would sell, they surpassed it. Probably by a lot.

So between yesterday and today and probably for the next few days there is a lot more traffic than ever on Sprint's network. Give them credit that the system hasn't crashed altogether. Obviously some parts of the country are going to be better and some worse but thus far Sprint has managed to keep the network up. I've been with Sprint for about 12 years and I have confidence they will fix things. Plus once everyone settles in and goes back to more normal usage patterns things will smooth out too.

Lets not forget that just a few months ago Sprint was rated quite high for 3G connectivity. I think Verizon came out as number one and Sprint was number two. Lets give them a few days or at least a week before we condemn them.

Journeyman

Ok, I am still waiting for a answer! Why the spring did not talk yet about this problem?

Journeyman

I agree with most of what you said. I just hope that Sprint is not looking to make this data lag the new "norm" and try to make like a bandit by giving you "unlimited" data (which I have come to enjoy over the years) and then hitting the brakes (like they claim t-Mobile does) that would mean they are hippocrites. They put alot of money into those T-Mobile vs. Sprint vs. Verizon vs. AT&T data speed commercials so i'm assuming this is just a bump in the road. What scares me the most is that my data rates now are NO WHERE NEAR what they were with my old Android phone, and people have tested the 3G network with other phones in the same spot, and the readings are very different (using the beloved speedtest.net) Now, my brother works for apple, in fact he got me into the store to get a phone otherwise it was like an hour wait, He told me NOBODY was getting Sprint, everyone was getting a Verizon or AT&T contract, and in fact when I tried to activate my phone, it was a pain in the ass because their system was not set up properly for activations or upgrades at the apple store, I had to call Sprint myself and give them the IMEI # over the phone in order to finish the transaction.

All this means one thing, the iphone is a dud on the Sprint network, fow now. Hopefully a software update will fix things. I don't buy the "we are overwhelmed" story, the Andoid phones are doing just fine. It was "antennagate" first, now it's "Sprintgate".

Journeyman

Bob_MW, that seems a little harsh over a simple app. I ran a DLS Reports speed test and Speedtests.net, both show an increase to about .12 Mbps down (still slow).  I completely agree that dataspeeds would be down due to increased traffic.  I just want to at least be told that they recoginize the problem, not talk to me like I am crazy or ignore my issue.  I just want to know what range of dataspeeds I can expect in my area on a regular basis.   I don't think that is asking too much...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat