cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Wizard

AndyiPhone wrote:

I've already returned to AT&T. 600k on 3G?? I'm getting 3.5 meg! On my AT&T iPhone 4!  If I got 600k on AT&T I'd call and complain. I had no idea Sprint was so awful. How are they in the smartphone business?  Ugh the money I wasted this week.

If I consistently got HALF of 600k on 3G, I'd be shocked at the improvement.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Nothing really has changed. Sprints data speeds have gone downhill simply because they kept trying to lure in subscribers with fancy phones that do it all and neglected to improve on it's network. Now that the iphone is in town you read news that this is sprints godsend and sprint is seeing a massive surge of subscribers.

Now you have the same old creaky network trying to handle the traffic of the bajillion new sprint subscribers who are all rolling the iphone and it's slowing to a crawl.

Sprint is the cheapest guy on the block. That's their business model. Unfortunately it's bleeding them slowly because their advance devices are causing more people to spend more time wowing themselves on the network that it's taking a hit.

When you look at the competition what do you get. You get limits and with limits comes rationing and with rationing comes a more stable network.

Also, it doesn't help when you have people who think that unlimited means "hoarde as much as you can just becaue you can". and not "use it whenever you need to use it cause it's there if you need it".

Wizard

Hits too close to home?

AndyiPhone wrote:

Btw. That video isn't funny.

Journeyman

This is all true.... If you pay for something that's cheap, don't expect the best service. I've been with Sprint since of last year when i got the Evo 4G and ever since the beginning of this year, The 3G speeds have been no more than 200 KBS without change. Now imagine swarm's of new Iphone customers on Sprint, maxing out the already crippled Towers..... what you're going to get is the worse 3G speeds ever imaginable which makes your devices useless in the real world, unless your on Wifi constantly which i know most people aren't. I bet so many people were happy that Sprint was getting the Iphone, so they could switch to a provider which would reduce their monthly bill, but sadly then finding out that their service is that of dial up.... I advice those that are not happy with the 3G speeds of the Iphone to go back to their previous Cellphone Provider, because the 3G problem is not going to get better and not going to get fixed. One thing that i do like about Sprint is that their voice is better than average, but unfortunately their 3G speeds are horrible.

Journeyman

Man I was going to buy this phone outright to avoid extending my contract but I dunno now lol hope Sprint fixes it.

Journeyman

Many people have called about extending their contract to get the Iphone 4S but Sprint won't let ya..... even if you only have 3 months left on your contract they won't let you upgrade until your upgrade is up. The only way for Sprint to "fix" their horrible 3G data speeds is to throw more money into their Infrastructure but Sprint prefered to pay Apple who knows how much money for the Iphone, instead of upgrading their towers/system, so people could get their Iphones on their unreliable 3G network..... Suckers fell for it and before they know it, their 14 day return period will be up and they're going to be stuck on Sprint with a shitty network for 2 years.

Will88012 wrote:

Man I was going to buy this phone outright to avoid extending my contract but I dunno now lol hope Sprint fixes it.

Journeyman

Cry babies.  I had a Evo 4g and never used the 4g. All i used was Wifi or 3G, and now I have the Iphone 4S(3G or WiFi) and to be completely honest the 3G im getting is absolutely Wonderful.

I guess its all about where you live.......

Journeyman

Well tonight I went over to my mom's house to help her with her new iPhone 4S, and I brought mine too.  We both have Sprint now with our iPhones.  She and her husband only live about 6 miles from me.  Maybe when two iPhone 4S's are near eachother performance is affected. I don't know for sure, but it's a logical assumption as you'll soon read.  The Wi-Fi was very poor there, as was the 3G.  The Wi-Fi was constantly dropping out on both of our phones, but their laptop computer had no problems with the same Wi-Fi signal.

The 3G speeds we were getting there on our iPhones ranged between 0.02Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up, to 0.12Mbps down and 0.2Mbps up.  I figured I would give Sprint another week to get their act together before I contemplated switching over to AT&T because I certainly wasn't going to pay the price I am paying (even if it's the cheapest/unlimited plan) when I can't even use my data.  $10 data premium for this???  I think not.  Siri wasn't working half the time, webpages weren't loading, and video wasn't streaming.  I figured at least with AT&T I'd get close to 4G data speeds, even if it did cost me about $25 a month more and my data was capped at only 4GB.  I'd just save all of my app downloading for Wi-Fi.

However, when I came home I wanted to do some speed tests.  At my apartment, my Wi-Fi runs perfectly and I'm getting very good 3G performance.  I turned off the Wi-Fi to do a few 3G speed tests.  My 3G speeds average 1.43Mbps down and 0.92Mbps up, as of 12 a.m.

I can't imagine that the service would vary that greatly in 6 miles when we live in the San Fernando Valley which is a major metropolis of Los Angeles county.  BUT... I don't need good 3G performance when I'm at home -- that's what Wi-Fi is for!  I'm paying for good 3G performance when I'm out on the go, and I better receive it if Sprint wants to keep me and tens of thousands of other new iPhone users on their service.  A 64GB iPhone 4S (along with an AppleTV, headset, cases, etc.) and $80 a month isn't a small investment.

I think there definitely could be an issue if you have more than one 3G phone (any other brand) in near proximity of your iPhone 4S, or more than one iPhone 4S in near proximity of eachother.  This could be a big problem since many families have more than one 3G phone, and now more than one iPhone 4S.  At my apartment, there is only my iPhone 4S.

I read this thread and I know people were concerned  that the radio inside the CDMA iPhone might be defective or that Sprint is throttling speeds.  I can officially lay that theory to waste, as I have proven with the screenshot below that the CDMA iPhone 4S is capable of at least the 1.43Mbps down/0.92Mbps up that I am able to get.  But like I stated, this is worthless unless I can get these speeds when I'm on the go or at work.  If Sprint's 3G service is splotchy they better do what they can to correct it, and soon before people go to another carrier where they can actually use their iPhone 4S for what it's intended for.

download.png

Journeyman

just give then a couple weeks... you know its first week for apples 4s on sprint... everyone trying to play it... after that... it will be very smooth ... the siri still beta version on iphone 4 s... so don't expet to much for it.... pretty sure on iphone 5...will be more suprise.....

Journeyman

How can anyone who is getting crawling speed give them a couple of weeks?  Asking that is the same as asking to give them 2 years because after the 14-day period from activation you can't cancel your contract.

But there may be a loophole. Since they do claim that you will get 0.6Mbps from your 3G phone in 3G coverage areas as shown on their map, they are likely in breach of that contract with false advertising if you are only getting 0.02Mbps which isn't even close to 3G speed.  If your speeds are so slow that you can't use even the most basic of core functionalities of the phone you purchased, there is no way they can keep you bound to your contract or they would have a class action lawsuit on their hands.

So they have a week at most to get their act together, which gives us enough time to return our phones if we need to.

Journeyman

Where do all you live, because down here in San Diego I'm running great on my new Iphone 4s, along with my SGSII Epic Touch, and my EVO 3D.  So far, so good with me.  4g has never really been turned on down here, but I'm usually about 90% of the time on wifi anyway. 

Journeyman

i live los angeles, califonia area... i been there in san diego alot of times... don't have any problem  with my  phone, evo and galaxy s I  but this time .... expect first week  of sprint might be download duo off busy network... ( activating.. some using data... etc...) after that will be okay..... don't have problem in sprint been 15 yrs on the service

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat