cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

just try in days of service.. after that might be back on normal speed....

Journeyman

I am kind of shocked to be honest with everything discussed here.

When I did the SpeedTest.Net thing, the numbers were low, like the ones others are saying; however, when I simply just use the internet, it is pretty fast for me. It takes a second or two for the webpage to fully load and then I can browse. Messaging is reallllyy quick and moving throughout the phone is flawless. I have no problems at all with my phone, with the only exception of the voicemail which from what I hear on these boards is a known problem with Sprint right now.

Overall I am very happy with the service & speed of everything. I am not switching to any other company nor am I unhappy. Dont bother going by the speedtest and simply use the internet and other areas of your phone. With that being said, some areas in the US do not have great service, so hopefully your area does. I am currently in Las Vegas.

Journeyman

That's encouraging since I live in SD as well.  Phone should be here tomorrow...Smiley Happy

Journeyman

I hope you enjoy your phone Ripp I know I am enjoying it, its really a great device!

Journeyman

I don't know how or why this would be "news". Sprint network has always been slow. This WILL NOT CORRECT ITSELF, so if you are uncomfortable with these speeds you need to return your phone immediately.

I have been using Sprint from "phone as modem" for over 5 yrs and have noticed fluctuations in speed based upon time of day or special events. After the passing of Net Neutrality back in December 2010 it became much much worse and I started a Speed Wave over on Speedtest.net in March of 2011, you can find the results here...

http://www.speedtest.net/wave/c45d64d82fe7bfc9

For those who do not wish to click the link, here are the current results...these were tests run at different times of day and to be fair, I probably tested more times when I was running slow than fast but I would not expect the few times when it was actually running faster to have a very big impact on the averages...

Total Tests

Avg. Download

0.38 Mb/s

Avg. Upload

0.07 Mb/s

Avg. Ping

632 ms
Wizard

LaurentD wrote:

Many people have called about extending their contract to get the Iphone 4S but Sprint won't let ya..... even if you only have 3 months left on your contract they won't let you upgrade until your upgrade is up. The only way for Sprint to "fix" their horrible 3G data speeds is to throw more money into their Infrastructure but Sprint prefered to pay Apple who knows how much money for the Iphone, instead of upgrading their towers/system, so people could get their Iphones on their unreliable 3G network..... Suckers fell for it and before they know it, their 14 day return period will be up and they're going to be stuck on Sprint with a ****** network for 2 years

LaurentD please dont post information if you dont know about it. Sprint is investing in it network. As a mater of fact it stock got hammer since investers did not want Sprint to invest 10billion dollar in the next two year (by the end of 2013) to get a brand new Network. The project of the new network is called Network Vision you can see this video which explain all about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uwas a matter of fact no other cellphone provide has this type of technology.With Network Vision Sprint is moving to own LTE Network. Sprint is also awarding new telephone and Cable companies contract to get fiber backhaul to it tower meaning more speed to it 3g and soon it 4g LTE Network. http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=212825&site=lr_cable&f_src=lightreading_gnews

Journeyman

I will be testing my iphones next week and if it doesn't seem to improve.  I'll be going over to AT&T w/ data cap. 

Journeyman

I will be testing my iphones next week and if it doesn't seem to improve.  I'll be going over to AT&T w/ data cap. 

I would be VERY careful if data download is important...Sprint Network (in my region anyway) has gotten considerably "better" since about 3 weeks before this roll out was incorporated. I strongly suspect that they will open the broadband "faucets" for another month or two and then return it to a trickle after the majority of the cancellation periods have expired...Hughesnet Satellite(or whatever they are called now) used the same practice...plenty of bandwidth for the first 30 days, within 90 days my Download speed was slower than dial up at 10x the price...

Journeyman

I ordered my 4S on Sprint.com and had it delivered.  I am thinking of bailing on the slow 3G, returning to a local store, and going to AT&T.  Can someone who has returned their phone already comment on Sprint's restocking fee?  Were you charged a fee when returning your 4S?

Thanks.

Wizard

You have no idea what you are talking about. Warrantless claims that Sprint throttles data like this is just irresponsible.

Horsewhsper wrote:

I would be VERY careful if data download is important...Sprint Network (in my region anyway) has gotten considerably "better" since about 3 weeks before this roll out was incorporated. I strongly suspect that they will open the broadband "faucets" for another month or two and then return it to a trickle after the majority of the cancellation periods have expired...Hughesnet Satellite(or whatever they are called now) used the same practice...plenty of bandwidth for the first 30 days, within 90 days my Download speed was slower than dial up at 10x the price...

Journeyman

It depends on where you live. Some states have laws protecting consumers from these fees. A few years back i bought a ipod photo for 699$ A few days later I returned it. They wanted to charge me 69$ to return it but there is a law in Hawaii that prevents them from doing that. They would not honor the request to void the charge until I showed the manager the web link to the Hawaii revised statutes. Once he read it for himself he waived it. You can read it here. http://hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/hrs/refind.html so review your state laws to see if they make it unlawful to do so and bring your paperwork with you when you refund if you decide to do so.

Journeyman

You have no idea what you are talking about. Warrantless claims that Sprint throttles data like this is just irresponsible.

Not a "Warrantless claim" in the least...the evidence is captured via speedtest.net, view the speedwave for yourself (the link is in  my previous post) ...low ping + low bw = ?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat